Question on Dimes - "Reeded Edge"

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I been searching for this answer in a few books etc but have not found it yet. But does anyone know for certainty, " are the NUMBER of Reeded edges the same on dimes, between the Mercury, Roosie's (1946-64), and the clad Roosie's after '64. If there is a difference in the number of notches (Reeded edge), then that would give cause to notice the difference when rim checking, besides the white rim silver.
Also same question holding true for quarters (standing liberty, Washington '1932-1964, and clad Wash after '64), and for half dollars (Standing Lib, Bens, Kennedy '64-69, clad Ken after '69). Does anyone know of the number of reeds on each?

Upvote 0

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the British and Canadian coins in the dimes rolls have very different reeding that stands out. I hate those silver edges that turn out to be a modern Canadian or British coins. I go from excited to disappointed in a matter of seconds.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know with certainty but I'm pretty sure the reeding is the same for mercs, silver and clad rosies. Sometimes when I see a well worn silver edge I'm hoping for a merc but it's usually a worn Rosie. I can easily tell a Canadian by the courser reeding. Also the Panamanian balboa is very different from us coins, looking at them on edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread