Interesting half dollar error

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found what looks like an interesting half dollar error. At first I thought the coin just had PMD until I examined it a little closer. It looks like a reverse die struck the coin around the 2 to 4 o'clock area of the obverse rim of the coin. If Im seeing this correctly, it looks like somehow the reverse letters UNIT of the word UNITED and a couple of small stars from a reverse die were struck around part of the obverse rim of the coin. :icon_scratch:

I was just thinking.....I suppose what might of happened was the reverse of another half dollar was compressed/stamped into/onto the obverse of this coin. :dontknow:

Attachments

• 71D half error 5-1-14.jpg
    71D half error 5-1-14.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 71D half error rev 5-1-14.jpg
    71D half error rev 5-1-14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 71D half error close up 5-1-14.jpg
    71D half error close up 5-1-14.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Upvote 0

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps a vice job? Like someone taking two coins and smashing them together with a vice or some similar device.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps a vice job? Like someone taking two coins and smashing them together with a vice or some similar device.

Yeah I was wondering if it might have been the result of something like that. Since it probably is the result of another coin being smashed/compressed into it then it could be PMD but IDK if there's anyway of knowing for sure. It sure looks like the rest of the coin is in pretty good condition which is kinda interesting too.

Idk if it shows too well in the pic but with my magnifier I can clearly see the complete design of a little star from the reverse of another coin stamped right onto/into the edge of this coin which is kinda cool because it confirms what the damage is from....just wish I knew how it happened. :icon_scratch:

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Worthy of a slab just because of the interesting damage, IMHO. Good eye for finding that.

Rascal

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Worthy of a slab just because of the interesting damage, IMHO. Good eye for finding that.

Rascal

Thanks. At first I just thought it was just a little PMD but then I took a closer look at it to try and figure out what it was. Now that I think I know what it is, it is kinda interesting whether its a mint error or just PMD - esp since the rest of the coin is in such nice shape and not all beat up and scratched. Idk whether or not it has any collectable market value - but its a keeper to me. :)

HH!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rascal

Why in any situation would a damaged coin be worthy of a slab. It would just come back in a body bag as damaged.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
he probably meant a 2x2. I do that with unusual, but not valuable stuff.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in any situation would a damaged coin be worthy of a slab. . .
The only one I can think of would be damage resulting from a famous historical event (ie: Shipwreck/Saltwater Effect)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The impression of Lettering and a Star from the Reverse of another Kennedy Half Dollar being pressed into the O.P.'s coin could have been accidental or could have been intentional. From what I could make out from the Letter, it appears to be incuse and is Reversed or backwards. If so, then this could only happen if the culprit coin was laying slightly off-set from the victim coin (the O.P's coins) and then due to being hit or hammered or pressed as in a vice, the culprit coin left the backwards lettering and star on the rim of the victim coin. Although interesting and a conversation piece, the coin has no other value than it's collectible value as a 1971-D Kennedy Half Dollar in EF/AU condition if someone was willing to pay a premium, otherwise the coin is only worth it's face value.

Frank

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The impression of Lettering and a Star from the Reverse of another Kennedy Half Dollar being pressed into the O.P.'s coin could have been accidental or could have been intentional. From what I could make out from the Letter, it appears to be incuse and is Reversed or backwards. If so, then this could only happen if the culprit coin was laying slightly off-set from the victim coin (the O.P's coins) and then due to being hit or hammered or pressed as in a vice, the culprit coin left the backwards lettering and star on the rim of the victim coin. Although interesting and a conversation piece, the coin has no other value than it's collectible value as a 1971-D Kennedy Half Dollar in EF/AU condition if someone was willing to pay a premium, otherwise the coin is only worth it's face value.

Frank

I would agree, that's pretty my conclusion as well. At first I thought it might have been some sort of a mint error but Im pretty sure now its just an interesting PMD coin and just worth keeping as a novelty coin. Thanks for the comments and opinions guys.

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread