New to Treasurenet

copperman

May 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CRHers, I've been at this for over a year now and I've been reading your forum for the last 6 months but never participated. I enjoy all your posts, and I'm happy to finally post here myself. I currently do 1 box of halves a week, mostly skunk boxes. I also pick through CWR on occasion. I went to the bank recently to get pennies, they ordered me a box. I got home ready to hunt, they were all brand new pennies. How do you order a box of pennies that are circulated coin? Hopefully this question hasn't been asked 100 times, I couldn't find it in the search history. Thanks!

Upvote 0

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
What you get is what you get. I was having great luck with dime boxes up until the middle of march... then i get 39 boxes of solid 2014p after that.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
you can still go through the new coins
to look for blank, strike error, etc.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome. Like has already been said, getting new coins from time to time (esp this time of year) is just part of the hobby. If your boxes have the little holes in them u might be able to tell if they might be new coins without opening the box. But like Yinzi50 said, it still might be worth it to open the rolls. Someone here just a couple of months ago got a nickel box that was 99% all new 2013 coins but still managed to find 2 silver war nickels in the box. Just never know what u might find with this hobby or where you'll find it. :)

Good luck & HH!

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I intentionally got to know the front end manager at my local supermarket and she helps me out when I find a solid box of new coins. I convinced her that her customers love getting brand new coins ( it may be true in some cases) and she trades me a box for a box.

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck! Many banks don't mind trading boxes.

OP
OP
C

copperman

May 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I am excited to be part of this forum and I will post any good finds.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Be sure to post the lousy boxes also. That way lurkers will see this isn't a get rich hobby.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Be sure to post the lousy boxes also. That way lurkers will see this isn't a get rich hobby.

Lol ya like my 92 box skunk streak or the most current 80+skunks-sure aint gettin rich quick lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol ya like my 92 box skunk streak or the most current 80+skunks-sure aint gettin rich quick lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

I feel AND KNOW your pain.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello CRHers, I've been at this for over a year now and I've been reading your forum for the last 6 months but never participated. I enjoy all your posts, and I'm happy to finally post here myself. I currently do 1 box of halves a week, mostly skunk boxes. I also pick through CWR on occasion. I went to the bank recently to get pennies, they ordered me a box. I got home ready to hunt, they were all brand new pennies. How do you order a box of pennies that are circulated coin? Hopefully this question hasn't been asked 100 times, I couldn't find it in the search history. Thanks!

Welcome copperman. Myself, I wouldn't search a new box. Might find something but seems like it would be very low probability. What I would do, as others have mentioned is either trade the box for another or even better trade for cwr. Tellers often like this transaction because they know that people put crap that's not money in these rolls or the count can be off. We, as coin roll hunters can accept this as the cost of doing our hobby, in order to find something good. I've gotten a solid roll of wheats and also one of buffalo nicks doing this swap. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

copperman

May 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I went to 3 different banks to pick up cwr of dimes, nickels, and pennies. First bank refused to give me cwr because some customers write their account numbers on them. Ended up getting machine rolls and scored a 1943 P war nickel off $20 in face value. Next bank, I asked for same thing except quarters as well. They had cwr of all, but they went in the back and I could hear them, it sounded like they were checking the quarters and dimes. I stood there for 10-15 min waiting, they had my money already or else I would of left. I heard clunk clunk clunk. When I got home I notived around 10-15 uncirculated quarters in my rolls. This is just a suspicion, but I could hear silver. At the end of the day I ended up with a Roosevelt dime, war nickel, and a bunch of copper pennies.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
So today I went to 3 different banks to pick up cwr of dimes, nickels, and pennies. First bank refused to give me cwr because some customers write their account numbers on them. Ended up getting machine rolls and scored a 1943 P war nickel off $20 in face value. Next bank, I asked for same thing except quarters as well. They had cwr of all, but they went in the back and I could hear them, it sounded like they were checking the quarters and dimes. I stood there for 10-15 min waiting, they had my money already or else I would of left. I heard clunk clunk clunk. When I got home I notived around 10-15 uncirculated quarters in my rolls. This is just a suspicion, but I could hear silver. At the end of the day I ended up with a Roosevelt dime, war nickel, and a bunch of copper pennies.

Thats stupid that a bank refused to give CWR of coins because of an account number being on the roll. My Credit union just uses a black sharpie to cross the numbers out. I wouldnt have stood and waited had they not had my money already either. You should make threads daily or weekly of what you find like some of us on here, instead of saying it here though. Your choice though. Good luck and get that silver before other people do! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread