Where have all the Mercs gone ???

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
In MY area, I believe the E-Trac could give a 2-4 box per week dime CRHer a very good run at getting more silver dimes total.

I'd all but guarantee more Mercs.
Thanks for the response. I've never MD'd so I don't have a horse in the race. I just never imagined you could find that much silver MD'ing.

Good luck!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response. I've never MD'd so I don't have a horse in the race. I just never imagined you could find that much silver MD'ing.

Good luck!

Its not that much, its just that there aren't many silver dimes to be CRHed here for whatever reason. Lifetime, I'm averaging less than 1 per ~$1100 searched. Never found a single one in my own pocket change, and I've been looking since the 1970's. I've found 1 merc total from CRH.

I've had my E-Trac about a year and have dug ~30 silver dimes, about 25 of which have been mercs.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dimes have REALLY dropped off in the last few weeks, and they aren't new boxes either.

1) I'm dumping into my own supply too much- but i've been doing it a long time. There is only ONE provider for the banks I use.
2) More competition
3) New equipment. Not only am I not getting any silver, but I'm not getting any foreign either.
4) It ebbs and flows and it will pick back up.

What's funny is that I found an AU quality Merc two weeks ago and a 49 Roosie last week. This week? An 1876, my 3rd seated dime. NEVER EVER found a Barber.

Mercs are out there, I find them, hopefully I keep finding them.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find 1 merc for every $5,048.60 searched.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ATP also. Haven't found any silver yet :(
Just got to find the right spot to hunt. But I know I'll never come close to finding as much as I do crhing, although dug finds can be older and better condition. Can't wait to dig my first merc.

Spots can be easy, if you do some research and are not afraid to knock on some doors...Find out where there were houses torn down, old schools, churches, etc..as the older sites will produce the silver. If I am bored or don't have any old places to hunt I may stroll down to one of the schools or the soccer and baseball fields and do some coin shooting. If you don't have a bunch of time on your ATP i highly suggest you use the parks and schools to hone your skills and get to know your machine. More and more silver is coming my way each time I go out, where I may average at least one silver each trip, given the right spots. Just today I dug an old token that is probably worth all the silver I have dug so far this year. And you will know when you dig your first silver, it will pop out of the dirt bright and silvery..not all nasty like the modern stuff. So good luck! you won't find any silver sitting at the computer so get out there and put the coil to the soil !...ddf

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spots can be easy, if you do some research and are not afraid to knock on some doors...Find out where there were houses torn down, old schools, churches, etc..as the older sites will produce the silver. If I am bored or don't have any old places to hunt I may stroll down to one of the schools or the soccer and baseball fields and do some coin shooting. If you don't have a bunch of time on your ATP i highly suggest you use the parks and schools to hone your skills and get to know your machine. More and more silver is coming my way each time I go out, where I may average at least one silver each trip, given the right spots. Just today I dug an old token that is probably worth all the silver I have dug so far this year. And you will know when you dig your first silver, it will pop out of the dirt bright and silvery..not all nasty like the modern stuff. So good luck! you won't find any silver sitting at the computer so get out there and put the coil to the soil !...ddf

I'm working night shift right now but my stuff is in the truck and in the morning I think I will put the coil to the soil.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so much easier to dig mercs than to roll hunt them. I'm at 100+ mercs dug in 5 years.

Roll hunting, my average is about what the OP says, 1 per 5 or 6 boxes.
Easier to find mercs in boxes, than cwr, for me.

Lies buy 50 boxes and run them through a machine that puts silver in one tote and clad in another. It does copper to :) would make easy money for copper. Not much though. Digging mercs < CRH mercs

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lies buy 50 boxes and run them through a machine that puts silver in one tote and clad in another. It does copper to :) would make easy money for copper. Not much though. Digging mercs < CRH mercs
No lie, and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive found 2 in my time CRH. One is a nice (probly grades Fine) 1941, and the other was a 1945 D that while rinsing off under hot water in the sink, I dropped it down the drain. I just sighed and said "these things happen". Ive had horrible luck with dimes lately, but mercs are one of my favorite type of coins to find though Ive found so little. Both were from bank boxes with paper wrapping. Not clear plastic ones.

A heavy object like a dime may have gotten stuck in the gas trap under your sink. You may be able to tap on the pipe and see if you hear it inside (if i isn't firmly seated in a layer of old grease!).

beebs88

May 5, 2013
I have never found a merc in a box of dimes. Only found three so far with two coming from customer rolls and one in a reject tray from coinstar. Maybe I need to start metal detecting more. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread