Where have all the Mercs gone ???

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I've culled about 3 of them total in the last 15 months so you have to take that into account.

Really I don't know, 1 out of every 5 boxes seems like a crazy high average.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done one dime box in the last 4 weeks and it produced a lone merc and no roosies.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found one this week. First one in about two months. I think it's just random, depending on how many get reintroduced into the stream of coins. I expect I'll have weeks where I get several but no telling when that will happen.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a beautiful 1940 Merc today...dug it out of the ground with my ATP...The old timers tell me that there is more currency in the ground than in circulation...so save up those shiny nickles and go out and get you a shiny, new coin shooter...and put the coil to the soil, my friend..thx..ddf

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a beautiful 1940 Merc today...dug it out of the ground with my ATP...The old timers tell me that there is more currency in the ground than in circulation...so save up those shiny nickles and go out and get you a shiny, new coin shooter...and put the coil to the soil, my friend..thx..ddf

I have an ATP also. Haven't found any silver yet :(
Just got to find the right spot to hunt. But I know I'll never come close to finding as much as I do crhing, although dug finds can be older and better condition. Can't wait to dig my first merc.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
My yield for 2014 is 8 Mercs about the same as last year at this time. Looking back over the last two years, there had been months where I found zero, and other months as many 14. Last month I found 4.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug way more dimes with the E-Trac this year than I've found in a lifetime of CRHing and pocket change searching.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive found 2 in my time CRH. One is a nice (probly grades Fine) 1941, and the other was a 1945 D that while rinsing off under hot water in the sink, I dropped it down the drain. I just sighed and said "these things happen". Ive had horrible luck with dimes lately, but mercs are one of my favorite type of coins to find though Ive found so little. Both were from bank boxes with paper wrapping. Not clear plastic ones.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I've dug way more dimes with the E-Trac this year than I've found in a lifetime of CRHing and pocket change searching.

Arkie - are you're suggesting that, in a 'race' so to speak, you believe you'll find more Merc with a MD that CRH'ing?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My very first box of dimes produced a merc for me. Have only found one more since in my 8 months of CRH. My dime boxes as a whole have been pretty skunk lately.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found one yesterday!! when halfs dont produce i usually get a couple boxes.. still have 2 left, maybe il find more, i will add that ive only done 4-5 boxes of dimes? and i have found 2 mercs

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It is so much easier to dig mercs than to roll hunt them. I'm at 100+ mercs dug in 5 years.

Roll hunting, my average is about what the OP says, 1 per 5 or 6 boxes.
Easier to find mercs in boxes, than cwr, for me.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkie - are you're suggesting that, in a 'race' so to speak, you believe you'll find more Merc with a MD that CRH'ing?

In MY area, I believe the E-Trac could give a 2-4 box per week dime CRHer a very good run at getting more silver dimes total.

I'd all but guarantee more Mercs.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of my last 40 dime boxes (April-today) I've found 9 mercs. The weird thing is that I usually find a Canadian 80%er in the same box with the mercs. Has anyone else noticed a correlation like that? BTW, the mercs have been filthy!

Jav

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been doing fairly well with mercs lately. I did 4 dime boxes last week and ended up obtaining 2 mercs and 5 rosies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread