200 pounds of pennies

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just picked up a penny collection, guy had about 240 pounds of pennies rolled up. Had no idea about how many errors are out there and frankly don't think I want to spend that much time searching all the possibles. Already pulled out the wheaties...nearly 500 of them. Now what?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I separate the copper! lol The 82's go in one pile the 81 and before go into another and the zincs go to coinstar! Then I go back through and separate the 82's for the copper ones! Then I go back through and seperate the copper by years! Now, this all happens over a long time! I just kind of pick at them here and there. It doesn't cost anything to save the copper except for your time. And for less than about 50 bucks you can make a thing that separates them by weight and sorts the copper for you!

I've heard about those. Don't want to buy a sorter, but might make one.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a little teeter-totter like thing with a pop cycle stick to compare the weight on the '82 s if you want to go low tech. After a little experimentation it works well.
I've heard about those. Don't want to buy a sorter, but might make one.

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been sorting through these and have pulled over 50 pounds of coppers out. Now what to do with the coppers? Don't think I'm going to hold on to them.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hold on to the copper's if possible, recycle/dump the zinc's. It's only going to be a matter of TIME before the USA goes off the penny standard like Canada did last year. If & when they do, you will immediately double/triple/quad your 1-cent holdings. Today's copper prices values the copper penny at $0.021 cents each. Where else in any stock or mutual fund can you double your money and not loose the face value of one cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions