thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Arizona!:hello:

Just wanted to say that I have been looking at You tube videos, Reading forums left and right and I believe I am ready to start CRH'n. I got the coin book(red book), A good 30x loupe, All denominations of Coin wrappers, Some steelmaster coin rollers, The whole set of pennies, quarters, dimes and nickles collector folders, I have also got savings accounts at two credit unions and then my main account my bank (too turn change and order, and I have saved up enough to invest $200.00. I have my first order of $150.00 halves and full box of $25.00 in pennies coming on Tuesday. Is there anything else that I may need that any of you can think of.. Thank you in advance. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Arizona!:hello: Just wanted to say that I have been looking at You tube videos, Reading forums left and right and I believe I am ready to start CRH'n. I got the coin book(red book), A good 30x loupe, All denominations of Coin wrappers, Some steelmaster coin rollers, The whole set of pennies, quarters, dimes and nickles collector folders, I have also got savings accounts at two credit unions and then my main account my bank (too turn change and order, and I have saved up enough to invest $200.00. I have my first order of $150.00 halves and full box of $25.00 in pennies coming on Tuesday. Is there anything else that I may need that any of you can think of.. Thank you in advance. :icon_thumright:

Hello badger. Sounds like you are ready to go. One suggestion I would make is about your strategy. With a $200 bankroll I think you should start with a box each of cents and nickels and use the remaining $75 to buy loose or rolled halves and if you can't get those, try and get cwr of dimes. Of course you should study the beginner crh thread and try really hard to develop relationships with your tellers. It's much easier to do well in this hobby when tellers like you. Good luck.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please read through the beginners guide in the stickies section up top
Sounds like you have done much right search but there is great info in that thread-
And id 2nd the searching boxes of nickles over just a handful of mwr of halves- look for cwr of halves instead
Welcome to the best/worst/addicting hobby around
HH
-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a $200 bankroll I think you should start with a box each of cents and nickels and use the remaining $75 to buy loose or rolled halves and if you can't get those, try and get cwr of dimes. Of course you should study the beginner crh thread and try really hard to develop relationships with your tellers. It's much easier to do well in this hobby when tellers like you. Good luck.

I will take that advice and make it so :), However I have already ordered the halves so I will have to make an order for next week. One box of Pennies and One box of nickels. On another note, I have read through the Beginner's thread. This is what gave me alot of info on how to prepare. However for the life of me... I cannot figure out what CWR stands for? or MWR?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take that advice and make it so :), However I have already ordered the halves so I will have to make an order for next week. One box of Pennies and One box of nickels. On another note, I have read through the Beginner's thread. This is what gave me alot of info on how to prepare. However for the life of me... I cannot figure out what CWR stands for? or MWR?

Customer wrapped rolls and manufacturer wrapped rolls.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
manufacturer wrapped rolls.

Or machine wrapped rolls

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have another question... I just found out that Brinks is the one that will roll all the coins that i will be getting from my bank.. Is this good or bad. I live in a small town so the coins would just be recirculated in town correct?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have another question... I just found out that Brinks is the one that will roll all the coins that i will be getting from my bank.. Is this good or bad. I live in a small town so the coins would just be recirculated in town correct?

Could be good could be bad- yes youll be Getting all your own searched coins back but youll also be getting any ag dumped back into circulation

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bummer! Went to pick up my order of $150 halves and $25 cents box. They did not come in. My teller last week had to fly back east for a funeral and won't be back till late next week. So I ordered Box of Cents and a Box of Nickles. Took my remaining investment money out ($75.00) and I am going to go to my other two banks and see if I can buy some CWR OR MWRs of dimes and nickles and some cents to hold me over till next week! I am very anxious to get started.. I have already searched car seats and couches etc.. for change and checked it all.. Now time to get some rolls! I will post what I can get my hands on and what I found tomorrow!

Got 5 MWR and 3 CWRS of dimes also got 3 CWR of nickles! = 3 banks! sheesh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got 5 MWR and 3 CWRS of dimes also got 3 CWR of nickles! = 3 banks! sheesh!
Checked through the Dimes out of 8 rolls total = Nothing (sorted all by decades then Years then mint mark + years for albums) no "s" marks :(
Only was able to sort nickles by decades. But did not find any "V"s or any 40's nickles.

But I have to say that was fun. I am looking forward to my new found hobby- This weekend I am going to go Detecting in one of the local parks. Found out I can detect at any of the parks in my town without any repercussions. Maybe I will dig up a good coin or two.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that Arizona can be tough for CRH finds. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not, keep us posted on your results.

If you don't mind investing the time, Nickels will give you the best bang for your buck on a small budget. Otherwise, dimes when you can swing a full box order.

Another useful tool will be a gram scale - Harbor Freight or Amazon for around $10.
1000 Gram Digital Scale
Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales Black Blade Digital Pocket Scale, BL-1KG-BLK 1000 by 0.1 G: Kitchen & Dining

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I returned all the dimes I didn't keep from last nights sort of 8 rolls of dimes. Turned them around and got 10 rolls of nickels (all CWRs) also picked up 3 more MWRs and 4 CWRs of dimes!
I opened the 3 MWRs only to find them all 2013 brand new. So kept a roll! But didn't sort the CWRs of dimes because I have 10 more rolls of nickles to sort by decade, year and mintmark!

I just finished all 14 of the nickle rolls and WAHOOO! :occasion14: I found the following coins!!!!
(1) 1946 "S" Nickle
(1) 1954 "S" Nickle
(1) 1968 "S" Nickle

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked through the Dimes out of 8 rolls total = Nothing (sorted all by decades then Years then mint mark + years for albums) no "s" marks :(
Only was able to sort nickles by decades. But did not find any "V"s or any 40's nickles.

But I have to say that was fun. I am looking forward to my new found hobby- This weekend I am going to go Detecting in one of the local parks. Found out I can detect at any of the parks in my town without any repercussions. Maybe I will dig up a good coin or two.

Badger, as I prefer to "search" for my coins out of the ground, I heavily suggest that you hit all the parks in your area. You are lucky, as our county has a detecting ban in all city parks. Get that Bounty Hunter out there and start digging while you are waiting for your coins to arrive! The CRH aces on here have given u GREAT advice, so let me try to help you in the MD'ing portion of your coin searches. Don't be discouraged if the parks have been hunted or pounded to death (which I'm sure they have), because: 1-there will always be coins to find, they cannot all be found and people are constantly "re-seeding" the parks with fresh coins. 2- A lot of hunters will cherry-pick, as in digging only high-grade signals such as quarters, silver, jewelry, etc...and may not dig penny or nickel signals, and there's PLENTY Buffaloes, wheaties, V-Nicks, Indian Heads to find-believe me! And don't limit your searches to the parks, hunt your friends yards, local schools and church yards, and remember: the older the site, the older the finds. Good luck with CRH'ing and MD'ing, and keep us posted with your good finds!...ddf

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't Found much of anything so far in my First box of Nickles but have only gone through 20.00 of rolls so far. However this weekend I did go out and sniped part of the local part and found a 1935 buffalo nickle (Full date) however its very dirty. Which brings me to a question.
1. If i dig something up from the ground is it ok to wash it with Water and a bit of Dawn soap mixed in the water? Will it de-funk the value of it if I do?

And I also have a CRH question.
1. I found some "S" mintmark nickles. Are they more collectible than the Penn or Den mints?
Red Book shows them anywhere from $1 to ??? however they are all at PF-65's standards... should I set them aside?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Answers to your questions: yes to using (just a few drops)Dawn & just enough hot tap water to fully cover coin, in a Rx pill bottle, over one/two days stirred every few hours now & then, rinse completely then tap dry with paper towel (don't rub dry cuz you'll scratch coin from remaining dirt or paper) let air dry under a lamp. If you can afford to keep & stack, then do so keeping all nickels under 1960, plus all 's' coins after that date.
You did right by getting the RED BOOK, read up on the coins you are going to search & save for, so that you dont recycle a good keeper, and have plenty of patience. It takes time, and is not a get rich hobby.

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finished the $100.00 box of MWR Nickels. This is the tally:laughing7:
1- 1940 S