Officially my WEIRDEST box ever, take a look.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
He everyone, I know I have been really distant here lately, we have been dealing with some illness on top of our all ready crazy life here lately and may continue to for a bit longer. So I'm sorry if I have missed any of my friends great finds ( if you've had any). My last 2 weeks have really been dismal, last week was 23 boxes and 4 bags, all skunks, but, I got a call from a bank I left my cell # at and they called me saying some guy had just dropped off 2 boxes of halves that weren't even opened, so I bought them and found 11 40's and 3 90's, they said the guy told them he needed money and thats why he was turning them in, weird, they were still sealed and everything, the week would have been a skunk had that not happened, this week I have 4 more boxes left and have only found 2 40's:BangHead:.

Ok, so anyway, I got these 4 boxes today, this one is definetely my WEIRDEST box ever! All but 5 rolls were solid proofs! What are the odds huh? Just crazy! Unfortunately no Silver ???.I just had to take some pics to show all of you. All right everyone, I hope you are doing well, if not, I hope things get better for ya! I will still be checking in from time to time, just gotta take care of some things right now that are pretty important. HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• IMG_20140508_161558.jpg
    IMG_20140508_161558.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20140508_182753.jpg
    IMG_20140508_182753.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20140508_182830.jpg
    IMG_20140508_182830.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20140508_182911.jpg
    IMG_20140508_182911.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20140508_182933.jpg
    IMG_20140508_182933.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some may say WHAT, but I'm just going to dump them in a bag and deposit them with my other dumps, I have no time to do anything with them right now with other life events happening. HH, Maverick.
Another CRHer may end up with a surprise box or two :laughing7:
Hey best of luck to your wife Mav.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a very odd box indeed Mav! Well I guess you can fill all the proof slots if you keep a found in the wild collection book like i do.

HH
Bigheed

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a proof and regular coin?

Chris W.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a proof and regular coin?

Chris W.

a proof is a type of coin made for collectors. It is stuck more than once, and with more pressure. Givinig it better details. Special finishes can also be applied. Modern proofs are generally not worth much more. But old proof, pre 1950 carry large premiums.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite an unbelievable box. Sad to hear that they won't be saved, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose.

Collection dump?!?
900 CuNi Proofs 1999-2003
How would any one person get them? Buy 900 proof sets and open them up? Why?
Were these extras made by the US Mint and dumped into circulation?

Yeah, I'm thinking it's from an official mint dump.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I think about this, the more awesome the dump is... this reminds me of mountainman 2's monster silver box from a LONG time ago.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been saving them since I started crh heavy again and filled 2 book and have $150 extra. Just think about someone like timzim
saving all he must find then saying the heck with it and cashing out. Used marked proofs aren't worth much if anything more then face. Just my 2 halves.

Last edited:

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saving them since I started crh heavy again and filled 2 book and have $150 extra. Just think about someone like timzim
saving all he must find then saying the heck with it and cashing out. Used marked proofs aren't worth much if anything more then face. Juet my 2 halves.

Mine all get tossed back anymore, I tried messing around selling on ebay, and did get 2 or 3x face value, but the guy complained cause some had small scratches, even though I said they were found in circulation...(If I remember correctly, I had about 75$ face value(almost a complete set 71-2013) and he paid about 175 or so.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
saving all he must find then saying the heck with it and cashing out. Used marked proofs aren't worth much if anything more then face. Just my 2 halves.

Okay, but 900 proofs from a 5 year spread (1999-2003)???
If a CRHer dumped a large stash of proofs, they should cover a much longer time spread.

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my!!! I could use a set of 99 - 03 proofs... :icon_thumright:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save proofs, but only because I really haven't found that many and am trying to build a set of proofs found CRHing (just for the heck of it). If I found a bunch I didn't need I may give Craigslist a shot, but would probably just dump them if that didn't work.

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Crazy! Never seen anything like that in all of my hunting years....
Thanks for sharing the pics Mav :)

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Crazy! Never seen anything like that in all of my hunting years....
Thanks for sharing the pics Mav :)

I just got another full box tonight again in my order of four boxes, I'll try and put up some pics later, they are all 99 to 04 again, freaking weird. HH, Maverick.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
There could be some potentially good money there if u could find a buyer to flip them for a quick profit. Even if u can only get .75 to $1 a piece for them that would be a $250-$500 (50-100%) profit for a full box. That's a pretty good return on your money if u can do it. The coins in that last pic u posted looked like they were just cracked open out of their cases and many may still be in choice proof condition or at least PF 60 or better (whatever its technically called or referred to as lol) and have some numis value. It just might be worth taking advantage of a good opportunity u may have. Just a thought.

It sure is very strange that's for sure lol.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only guess is that somebody acquired a large hoard, took out the ones that seemed "perfect" to be sent out for grading, and rejected the ones with scratches, imperfections, etc, and dumped them since not many people want to deal with impaired proof coins. That is awesome though!!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
My only guess is that somebody acquired a large hoard, took out the ones that seemed "perfect" to be sent out for grading, and rejected the ones with scratches, imperfections, etc, and dumped them since not many people want to deal with impaired proof coins. That is awesome though!!

Yeah Im wondering if its one of the large retailers who did just that. Like maybe that guy on HSN. He's one of the largest retailers in the country and he's always figuring out different ways to overcharge his customers and cracking open proof sets and mint sets to put together different types of collections - either to be slabbed or not. So if that's the case then these probably are lesser quality coins with scratches and imperfections like u say - but probably just in circulation and in much better condition than the average proof most of us usually find and still probably have a little nimis value. That guy on HSN is always quoting retail catalog prices to try and justify his outrageous prices so I wouldn't be surprised if his catalog probably lists even modern date AU proof Kennedys for somewhere around $5-$10 a piece lol - not that anyone would ever pay that price though - unless maybe they were one of his foolish customers lol.

It might be worth at least giving your LCS a call if u haven't already. Or maybe Omega is still buying. Good luck whatever u decide.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread