ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price of silver will do exactly as The Powers That Be (TPTB) wish it to do. Supply and demand has taken a backseat to speculation and manipulation.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody knows what the market will do. People do research on the market, if we could all predict the silver prices, wouldn't we all be rich? Unfortunately, your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the future spot prices of precious metals.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When this so called "recovery" ends and the stock market tanks both silver and gold will shoot up. If this were a true recovery the prices would have dropped back to traditional levels. We will never see those again! The best thing to do is buy while the price is lower. All it can do is go up!
HH
enamel7

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, market technicians say that when something trades in a tight range for a while (like silver between 19 and 20) there is a big move coming. Let's just hope the move is up.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I have complete confidence in the true value of gold and silver because I have no confidence in the value of fiat currencies...esp the USD. I don't know how long it will take the rest of the world to wake up to the reality that our bonds and currency are worthless and we can never pay our creditors back. Its all just a con to enable our government and the citizens of this country to continue borrowing, spending and consuming which will eventually end very badly for most citizens of this country. After the USD sells off and looses its status as the worlds reserve currency and interest rates finally rise, PM prices will explode well beyond historic highs. There's no way to time this with any certainty but the important thing is just understanding the economic reality of what's happening and being prepared for when it finally happens.

H$H!

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started collecting silver coins and watching the price of silver in may of 09'. From 2009 to april 2011 the price was going up, since then its went down. What does the future price hold? More of the same? Decrease? Increase? Seems like the price just bounces around the same dollar amount for months. Any opinions??

I am buying as much silver in coin form as I can afford now, so obviously I believe the move will be up. I am buying to hold for decades, so my situation/purpose may be different than yours in that sense.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Marco economics are very confusing and counter intuitive.
The price of silver or any other commodity is more complicated than simply the size of the Federal deficit or total US debt.

There is no way to predict the price of silver or any other commodity.
If anyone could, that person could make a fortune buying/selling silver futures.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The Fed has completely destroyed the value of the USD. This will eventually be evident in the USD index and as the value of the USD falls to all time lows, the value of PM prices will have to rise because there is an inverse relationship between the two. Actually if I understand it correctly, PM prices never really change. PM's are measured in relation to the fluctuating values/prices of different currencies. So the accurate way of understanding the general price value of PM's is understanding the value of the currency its being measured against. The price of the USD has no floor (except 0) so the value of PM's has no real ceiling.

The problem is most people are so reluctant and unwilling to accept and in most cases even understand this so there is no way to time with any precise accuracy when we finally have an economy with any true monetary reality. In most regards people have a herd mentality are very collectivist by nature and either incapable or unwilling to think for themselves. So its likely to be somewhat of a chain reaction that will increase to a frantic pace as people start selling USD's only to find there are fewer and fewer buyers because of the ever increasing demand for real money - PM's which have real intrinsic value and a real store of value. They always have throughout history and they always will.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think silverface has a good point, in 1972 it took $38 to buy 1 oz of gold today $1297.00. Your money is worth less but the gold is now worth far more. That oz of gold will buy more today then if I had held the 38 bucks till now.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think silverface has a good point, in 1972 it took $38 to buy 1 oz of gold today $1297.00. Your money is worth less but the gold is now worth far more. That oz of gold will buy more today then if I had held the 38 bucks till now.

True, but that isn't really relevant as the government regulated the price of gold until 1974, and it was illegal to own much until then. Gerald Ford repealed all sanctions prohibiting U.S. citizens from owning gold essentially making gold a commodity traded on the open market. The price jumped all the way to ~$850/oz by 1980. In today's dollars that would be over $2000.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
your right on that. all i'm saying is if in 72 I put an oz of gold in one pocket an $38 in the other the gold pocket today would buy a few things and the $38 wouldn't fill my gas tank. I'm buying gold and silver now to spend in the future.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope there isn't a large drop in the number of conspiracy theorists that think the world economies are going to completely fail. Silver and Gold trades like anything else, supply and demand. A lot of the demand that has driven up the price of these commodities is from the people that are buying every bit of gold and silver that they can get their hands on because "the end is near" or "the U.S. is doomed." I love my hobby, but the bulk of my money is in dollars and equities that I have amassed by having a good job in a good society that most certainly is not going to fail any time soon. With that being said, I still hope people keep thinking that we are headed back to the barter system because it makes my hobby pretty profitable.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep believing that. People that don't believe the economy can't fail makes it easier for us doomers to get the silver and gold.
They can call it fiat all they want, but when you borrow money from China you have to have collateral. When they want to get paid they're not gonna want fiat.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep believing that. People that don't believe the economy can't fail makes it easier for us doomers to get the silver and gold.
They can call it fiat all they want, but when you borrow money from China you have to have collateral. When they want to get paid they're not gonna want fiat.

I will. I just don't understand the whole doomer thing. It seems like it is a viewpoint held mostly by the unemployed and underemployed and people that have a hard time fitting into mainstream society. China does not want any of the major nations' economies to fail. The vast majority of China's GDP is derived from manufacturing and exporting to the U.S. and Europe. If the U.S. or Europe fails, so does China. That's how the world economy works. China has bigger things to worry about than getting paid by the U.S. That country is on the brink of falling apart from the inside out because of how much pollution they generate. They also have to worry about how they will continue to prop up their own housing industry that is starting to run out of places to build "phantom" cities that are not inhabited by anyone. They also have to continually manipulate their own currency to keep it artificially weak so that other nations will continue to import their goods. (ie, look at Mexico for a lesson in what happens when 3rd world manufacturing nations start becoming wealthy).

Like I said, I hope you guys keep living in fantasy land. It's good for the value of my CRH finds.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
We could have brinks deliver massive amounts of half dollar boxes to china for payment. Lets just hope they find some silver and not clad haha.

OP
OP
D

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
The majority of people can't see past the "face value" of coins/paper money. If i went out on the street with one roll of 90% silver halves in one hand and a fifty dollar bill in the other. How many people would take the fifty dollar bill over the halves? Nearly everybody i think.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of people can't see past the "face value" of coins/paper money. If i went out on the street with one roll of 90% silver halves in one hand and a fifty dollar bill in the other. How many people would take the fifty dollar bill over the halves? Nearly everybody i think.

I'm of the opinion that this speaks more to the laziness of people than their ignorance towards silver/silver coins. Instant gratification is a powerful motivator. The average person could extract pleasure out of that $50 bill faster than they could the roll of silver halves.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time will tell ......

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
If the price of PMs were solely dependent on US currency supply, then why did the price of gold and silver drop from $33/oz to $19 for silver and from $1600/oz to $1300 for gold?
The Fed has continued to print money and keep interest rates low.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread