May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Wednesday evening I picked up my first full Halves box and when I got home I found a 40%er (1969) and a few proof-like JFKs. The next morning I finished off the box and found my first ever Bennie (1962) plus some more proofs!

The contractors came later yesterday morning to replace a large section of stockade fencing around my property and sandwiched in between a double section of fencing was an old STOP sign. One corner was bent almost in half but it otherwise was in great shape. It's got raised letters and a raised white border. From the limited research I was able to do on-line it is from around the 1940's or 50's, which makes sense since my house was built in 1951 and sits at a controlled intersection.

I then grabbed my MD gear and about half of my unwanted halves and headed to my old neighborhood to hunt an old homestead, dump, and mail a letter. (hey, with the gas prices being what they are these days you gotta make these trips worth it)

When I got there I dumped at my old bank that used to be my primary non-dumping bank before I moved. I dumped and filled the Halves bag. When the teller came to switch bags there were ALOT of quarters in the return shoot. She assumed they were mine and added them back into the counter. I think the slip read something like 53 quarters when in reality my dump only had maybe 8-10. So that was about $10 in free money!

The house I was hunting was removed prior to 1971 but shows up on maps at least as far back as the 1930's. Turns out, however, that the local mining company filled in the entire property (it's at least an acre) with detritus back in the 80's. (Thanks, Google Earth!) And when I went there the iron-rich rocks made it impossible to find anything. So I drove to a river nicknamed Carnelian Creek since it's one of the few places in NJ where you can find the semi-precious stone Carnelian. I checked it out mostly to see if the banks & fields were worth MDing (they weren't) but I did pick up 4 or 5 small pieces for my collection.

All-in-all, not a bad day (and a half). 8-)

Upvote 0

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the silver.

Just a note: coins are either proofs or they aren't. There is no such thing as a proof-like coin. Proofs have a mirrored field and frosty devices. You either found proofs or uncirculated coins.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job on the silver.

Just a note: coins are either proofs or they aren't. There is no such thing as a proof-like coin. Proofs have a mirrored field and frosty devices. You either found proofs or uncirculated coins.

Then they're proofs. Or not. Some look like proofs while others look Unc. Unfortunately most have some bit of handling or coin-to-coin evidence.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Then they're proofs. Or not. Some look like proofs while others look Unc. Unfortunately most have some bit of handling or coin-to-coin evidence.

Post some pics of what you are talking about and we can clear it up.

If it's a Kennedy and has an S mint mark, they are proofs.

Kennedy and just kinda nice looking, they're uncirculated.

Kennedy and no mint mark, probably plated coins then.*

*Unless it's a 1964, then it could be a proof. (Proof coins up to 1964 were minted in Philadelphia; In 1968, when they started being minted with an S mint mark, they were minted in San Francisco.)

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have to go through and check for S's. I didn't realize proofs were limited to that mint. Thanks!

And if the "pretty" coins are just Unc's that's okay, too. I can give some of them to the nephews for the brithdays and holidays.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Took a look. No S marks in this batch. Oh well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread