Are all banks supposed to order boxes of coin if requested??1

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
I have asked several banks in my area if they would order boxes of halves or older dollar coins and they said they can no longer order them from their sources. I thought the bank was supposed to order what was legal currency and still available to them, and since they have not bee recalled from circulation they should be able to get them.

I did get (for what its worth) $100 in new Washington gold dollars which are supposedly a rarity around here.

If anyone has an answer to this I would appreciate it, or at least tell me which banks are most likely to be frienldy and order the coins.

Thanks a million! or at least a few silvers!

Upvote 0

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
What has been my experience of late is that banks will say anything to you to not have to do anything beyond cashing/depositing checks or making withdrawals for customers-simple stuff that doesent require them to get off their chairs or to remember anything(like ordering a box for you).

To answer your question-YES all banks do order coins-they have to for their own supply for customers needs-i.e. $.01,.05,.10,.25.Anything beyond these denominations they do not order as part of THEIR needs so if you want them to order you a box of halves you may have to go directly to the merchant teller or manager to actually get the order placed and be willing to pay a fee for this service.

Many on this board seem to get endless supplies of boxes from numerous banks with no hassles-but from my experience this is very rare because the few banks I have ordered from in the past all told me that if I wanted more boxes I would have to pay the same fee that the merchants pay for their coins-which is supposedly $5 per box-which I don't believe but can't prove otherwise.

With what I was finding in half boxes would not justify this fee.Most boxes were silverless and the ones with silver had a few 40%er's(rarely 1 90%),so in the long and short run I'd be losing money quick.Now if I was getting boxes like some on here claim I would do it(50+ silvers per box ETC.) but I imagine my area has had too many hunters for too long because I have NEVER seen returns like that.

So instead I now just get dime and quarter boxes that they already have on hand and don't charge a TRUCKING/HANDLING fee for and have decent luck finding silver and it's still fun to be able to search boxes.I also do cents as well but on a smaller scale.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I think they are suppose to, as they order all the other change. I have run into a number of banks that wont. I know they are just lazy and dont want to deal with it. They prefer to eat their donuts and stay glued to their seats. I wonder if we can go higher up to complain.

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I have been able to order boxes from every bank I've tried... my secret.
Well don't know how old your are (I'm 25) I just go in and ask to speak with the manager or assistant manager. I ask them if I can get information on a Mortgage from there bank. You see the mangers get commissions for referring you to Loan Officers. So I just make it seem like I'm considering their bank. At the end of it all while on a first name basis I throw in the request for coins. They always bend over backwards to help.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The lady who orders the coin at my bank is a real sweetie, but she can't order any more halves for me, not even 10 rolls. Her corporate headquarters told them they can't, they get charged a fee and can't pass it on to the customer, and I offered to pay it. Dang.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all banks order coins. On a recent road trip I was talking to a few of the tellers and some said they never order coins. They only hand roll what is turned in. These banks likely wouldn't order coins for you because they don't have the armored service set up to order them. I can't say this for certain, but that is the impression I got.

At one branch of my CU, I can order coins, but at another branch, I was talking to the manager and she said they never order coins anymore, they just roll what they need and the rest get shipped back to the Fed.

Just depends on the branch and their coin supply vs. demand I assume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions