Marking Proofs

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm predominantly a silver stacker. I search boxes to stack silver. I do keep proofs when I see them in decent shape and I also keep commemmoratives. Even so, I cannot imagine why anyone would feel the need to mark a proof that they found in a box. I am definitely of the mindset that marking any coins is a complete and utter waste of time. The information that you gain from marking is very minimal and there really are so few things you can do to change your hunting routine anyway. Proofs, even when they are in bad shape are coins that some of the newer hunters would probably keep. It just seems rude to mark them. Without turning this into a flame war, what do you guys think about this practice? And please do not make any personal attacks on the person here that marked this coin.

proof.jpg

Upvote 0

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not approve of the practice, seems wasteful/pointless. But I won't pitch a fit if I see one ( not that I am accusing you of such, Fish On!), it's just an inevitable part of the hobby. There are a lot of lurkers on this site who could easily mark someone else's name on a coin who's politics etc. they may disagree with. Just to prod a "flame war" on TN for their own entertainment. Just my 50 cents...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit, I do mark a few coins; however, I don't mark any proofs. I think marking proofs is wrong. I enjoy receiving proofs, I save every proof I find regardless of condition (unless it is terribly bad, I have gotten a few of those)... I have received a few marked proof halves also, fortunately a little soaking will clean off the marker. Its a shame that people participate in such a practice.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would mark coins with infowars.com???? weird!!

HH :)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit, I do mark a few coins; however, I don't mark any proofs. I think marking proofs is wrong. I enjoy receiving proofs, I save every proof I find regardless of condition (unless it is terribly bad, I have gotten a few of those)... I have received a few marked proof halves also, fortunately a little soaking will clean off the marker. Its a shame that people participate in such a practice.

Sorry BB, but I've got to take a different stance here. The way I see it, either coin marking (which I personally have no problem with) is acceptable or it isn't. You do not get to choose that its ok to mark certain coins while wrong to mark others. That's your opinion, and that's absolutely what you should do (mark only certain coins). However, you do not get to condemn others for marking coins that you would not have marked. You do not know what everyone collects. You very well may have marked hundreds of coins that would be keepers to someone, somewhere had you not scribbled something on it.

For the record, I am not anti-marking. While that coin is in your possession, it is yours to do with as you please. You can legally sell it, give it away, bury it, hide it, throw it away, melt it (unless its a coin with a melt-ban), or barter it as it was intended. Why wouldn't it be ok to mark, paint, or otherwise disfigure as well?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a guy in my area that does this. I've actually met the guy and he finds it funny. He purposely does it to piss off the coin collectors. He stacks silver and that's it. I've ran into a couple he's marked that I've needed for my book.

It is frustrating because he simply does it to frustrate other crh'ers.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that proof looks familiar. Did you happen to make a YouTube video on your first 8 month's?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking of collecting ONLY marked coins....amounting a huge stash of them, post pics of them, then see how many tnetters can claim ID of them.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marking coins doesn't bother me. I won't condemn others for doing it, I am sure I mark coins that other people may collect, like NIFC's.
Sorry BB, but I've got to take a different stance here. The way I see it, either coin marking (which I personally have no problem with) is acceptable or it isn't. You do not get to choose that its ok to mark certain coins while wrong to mark others. That's your opinion, and that's absolutely what you should do (mark only certain coins). However, you do not get to condemn others for marking coins that you would not have marked. You do not know what everyone collects. You very well may have marked hundreds of coins that would be keepers to someone, somewhere had you not scribbled something on it.

For the record, I am not anti-marking. While that coin is in your possession, it is yours to do with as you please. You can legally sell it, give it away, bury it, hide it, throw it away, melt it (unless its a coin with a melt-ban), or barter it as it was intended. Why wouldn't it be ok to mark, paint, or otherwise disfigure as well?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mark up and gouge out key dates and send 'em back into the wild! nothing like a 21-D walker in PO-1 condition!:coins::coins::coins::coins:

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never marked a coin, but doesn't matter. I dont keep the proof halves, unless they are silver.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never marked a coin, but doesn't matter. I dont keep the proof halves, unless they are silver.

I'm like you. I mainly only save the silver and silver proofs. I do keep the clad proofs that are in decent shape, but I don't collect them. I usually wait until I have a roll or so of them and then I buy coin tubes and flips from the LCS with them. They usually throw me a few extra supplies and they either sell them or more likely give them out as change to their customers. I'm not really against marking coins and I am the furthest thing from a true coin collector, it just seemed like an unnecessary waste to mark a proof since there are people who would consider it a good box if they found that coin without the mark. In all honesty, it was a good box for me because it had a franklin and a '64 in it.

Holmes08

Greenie
Nov 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care one way or the other ( it would have been a keeper to me ) Gotta remember its a hobby for us all ! ! ! However I might be wrong here but isn't it some type of criminal offense to deface American currency ? ? ?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care one way or the other ( it would have been a keeper to me ) Gotta remember its a hobby for us all ! ! ! However I might be wrong here but isn't it some type of criminal offense to deface American currency ? ? ?

Yep, you're wrong ! ! !

Its only illegal if its done for fraudulent purposes.

Last edited:

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hoard proofs, circulated or not myself.
Low mintages have always fascinated me, so I figure even though there's proofs and many of them out there that I should still hang on and hoard them.

I don't CRH halves, quarters, or dimes. None of that, just pennies and nickels. I come across a proof nickel every 5 boxes or so, and I've only found one proof cent, which was weird... A 1979 S proof, and I was like 8 when I found it.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickel proofs aren't too uncommon for me, although I've only found less than 10 penny proofs over the past 500 or so penny boxes.
It is interesting how rare it is to find a penny proof compared to nickels, dimes or halves?

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though there may be nothing 'wrong' with marking the coins, I do think it is slightly rude. Sure while in your possession it is yours to do with as you want, but that is true of anything in this life, and the earth itself. To selfishly misuse anything that is passed on to others, no matter how legal, is unfortunate and unthinking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread