Useless CRH thoughts, ratios....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Useless CRH thoughts, ratio's....

I was out of the country this week so no CRH'ing for me, yet my 8 year managed to score a '61 Washington and a '64-D Rosie. He eyeballed the silver quarter during a book fair at school and swapped them out for a clad quarter (that's my boy!) and then found the Rosie in a coinstar while shopping with Mom. Not bad.

I've hunted 164 boxes of halves and have yet to find 2 1964 Kennedy's in the same box. For some reason I find this completely amazing. We've found boxes with more than 1 Walker and boxes with more than 1 Franklin, and have pulled 30+ silvers from a box, but never more than 1 90% Kennedy.

I've never found a Silver dime ender. I have found 4 non canadian foreign coin enders. I find Rosie's to Merc at about 20:1 in rolls. I find them about 4:1 in coinstars.

I've found 4 war nickel enders. I've almost exactly the same total number of war nickels as silver dimes (I know nickel enders should be 20% more common than dime enders).

Only 1.93% of the total halves volume I've hunted have come from machine bags. I've found only ever found one 1970-D and one 1970-S halves. Both came from bags.

My Walker to Franklin ratio is exactly 1.0:1.0.

My silver NIFC (Proof, '76-S, '70D/S, Commemorative) to Franklin Ratio is exactly 0.5:1.0. I think NIFC silvers are my absolute favorite to find. The 6 year jumped about 3 feet off the ground when he found the '70-D.

My 40% to '64 Kenendy ratio is 10.2:1.

We find 2.93 war nickels for every buffalo. I've never found a V nickel.

I found my first Indian penny $399 in. I found my second $406 later. I haven't found another in the last $996 (I do have $20 in MWR sitting here that may break the streak.

My 6 year old found a dug indian penny in the reject slot of a coinstar. It is too corroded to read the date. It weighs 4.1g which, I think, means it's an 1859-1864 and our oldest find to date. The oldest dated coin we've found is a 1902 IHP. The oldest half we've found is 1918, which we've done twice. Oldest quarter is a '52, oldest dime is a '39, oldest dated nickel is a '20

Once found a 1966 5 dong coin as the 21st coin in a CWR of halves. It's not the same size or same shape as a US half. Has to be the oddest coin I've found in a CWR.

I've hunted 1.74 pennies for every nickels (by coin, not by $'s) and yet have found 8:1 nickel proofs versus penny proofs.

Have found one gold coin and one silver (40%) dollar.

Hunting with the kids is an inexact science. I've found 40% and 90% halves, war nickels and tons of wheats in the reject pile.

I picked up a handful of pennies, nickels and dimes today. Maybe we'll find something worth posting.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a pretty extensive list of info. And it is kinda strange that after so many boxes you've never found more than one '64 Ken in a box. I haven't been keeping detailed records of all my finds since I started CRHing but I've been keeping a better record of my finds this year. I like the NIFC silvers too. I've found several silver '76S halves in the past and a couple of '68S halves earlier this year but I've still never found a modern 90% silver proof yet. I've managed to find a few firsts this year including my first silver commem half (1893) but Im still looking for my first '70D and '70S halves.

That's good that the younger members of your family have learned to watch for any silver or other old coins they might find. Good luck with your coins this wknd. I have some nickels to keep me busy this wknd myself.

H$H!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I've found 4 war nickel enders. I've almost exactly the same total number of war nickels as silver dimes (I know nickel enders should be 20% more common than dime enders)...

No. Not hardly. Assuming the mintage numbers of silver dimes and silver nickels was the same, you'd be correct in stating that you should find 20% more silver nickel enders.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted 164 boxes of halves and have yet to find 2 1964 Kennedy's in the same box. For some reason I find this completely amazing. We've found boxes with more than 1 Walker and boxes with more than 1 Franklin, and have pulled 30+ silvers from a box, but never more than 1 90% Kennedy.

Wouldn't this be due to the fact that 1964 Kennedy's where only minted one year: 1964? Walkers and Franklin's, on the other hand, have years of minting stacked in their favor.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

Wouldn't this be due to the fact that 1964 Kennedy's where only minted one year: 1964? Walkers and Franklin's, on the other hand, have years of minting stacked in their favor.

'64 and '64-D Kennedy halves total had production of 400-500 million. Total Franklins were 400-500 million. Total Walking Liberty was also 400-500 million. I don't really know. I also figured that Walkers would be harder to find because they're older, but so far for me that hasn't been the case.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you provide the story of your GOLD coin find?
Inquiry minds want to know...

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Could you provide the story of your GOLD coin find?
Inquiry minds want to know...

JnOgHRe.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread