568.9 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's still pretty neat! I'm actually surprised it ended up in a dime roll because of the top of the coin.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a plastic coin in every denomination of cwr except ikes and small dollars, it's kinda weird, I didn't even know that they made plastic half dollars!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sooooo wild that you posted this. Last week I was going thru the tokens I had accumulated over the years and I found that little guy, except it was just the reverse, had no loop and is base metal of some sort. I must've got it out of a Vegas penny machine back in the day (their descriminators weren't that good). Looked online and discovered it's a (Catholic) St. Benedict medal.

Saint Benedict Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sooooo wild that you posted this. Last week I was going thru the tokens I had accumulated over the years and I found that little guy, except it was just the reverse, had no loop and is base metal of some sort. I must've got it out of a Vegas penny machine back in the day (their descriminators weren't that good). Looked online and discovered it's a (Catholic) St. Benedict medal.

Saint Benedict Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I knew it was a St. I didnt know which one.Thanks!!!! In widespread use after its formal approval by pope Benedict XIV in the 18th century, the medal is used by Catholics to ward off spiritual and physical dangers, especially those related to evil, poison, and temptation.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]

Last edited:

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it was a St. I didnt know which one.Thanks!!!! In widespread use after its formal approval by pope Benedict XIV in the 18th century, the medal is used by Catholics to ward off spiritual and physical dangers, especially those related to evil, poison, and temptation.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]

As a Catholic, I feel compelled to correct the implications of this description. "Use to ward off" is a completely off-base wording. Catholic doctrine does not believe in 'magical' powers of objects. We do believe that saints may, in their position of heavenly occupation, be able to intercede for us with God when asked through prayer. Medals of this sort are simply ways to keep these saints within our prayer focus so that we might remember them. From one of your references: "The use of any religious article is intended as a means of reminding one of God and of inspiring a willingness and desire to serve God and neighbor."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Catholic, I feel compelled to correct the implications of this description. "Use to ward off" is a completely off-base wording. Catholic doctrine does not believe in 'magical' powers of objects. We do believe that saints may, in their position of heavenly occupation, be able to intercede for us with God when asked through prayer. Medals of this sort are simply ways to keep these saints within our prayer focus so that we might remember them. From one of your references: "The use of any religious article is intended as a means of reminding one of God and of inspiring a willingness and desire to serve God and neighbor."

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

Thank you for the true meaning. I am a Master Mason and you should hear some of the stuff that is said about our organization.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the true meaning. I am a Master Mason and you should hear some of the stuff that is said about our organization.

I hear it all stemmed from a big dispute back in 1794, when masonry, was a well respected profession. Masons were the stone layers of the world. Then.... then....... the so called "free masons" came along. The masons basically said, "guys, what the heck...what you got to do with stone laying? Why do you need to call yourselfs masons when you clearly aren't." The Free Masons, basically told them to 'go kick rocks', and 'we can call ourselves what we want'. The largest masonry guild in the US & UK at the time, almost went to court over it. They then realized they wouldnt have much of a case. A few traditionalist, brick and mortar, masons shot a few free masons, which only exacerbated the whole situation. The masons, soon issued in their trade books at the time stuff that would make the free masons look bad. and by bad, I mean bad. Soon the masons turned to newspapers, and published ads there. It was pretty sucessful for a while, but the plan in the end back fired on them. You see, there started to be so many stories and talk about the free masons people forgot all about normal, everyday, stone-laying, masons. The free masons won the name but at a damaged reputation. "Brick repair" "Stone-work" "slab work" all started being introduced as the colloquial form.

I personally have nothing against masons or free masons but I have some sympathy for actual masonry related goals. the free masons could have really just changed their names in the beginning and realized they had nothing to do with stone work and the masons were right. I can't even have a honest conversation about stonework and use the term 'masonry' without someone associating it with the free masons. The still can make amends and, cooper36, I have faith in you homie. You can rise to rank #1 in the Free Masons. Then you can use all the power and abilities of your position, #1, as a sort of leader, and decide to change the name to something else. Like the Historical Brotherhood. The stonelaying masons would finally end their smear campaign, and everyone can live happily ever after.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread