Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep anything Pre 1959 or any nickel that is in great shape.... but mainly because i collect coins

georgia boy

Feb 4, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep any thing 1959 or older...and 1945 and 1942 nickels that were made late in the year are also war nickels.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep the war nicks, (Some 1942 up to 1945) buffalos dateless or not, proofs, (Only ever found 1. A 2002 S in BU condition) anything 59 and back, and any canadian 59 and back. Though only ever found 1 CAN. nickel like this in my register from 49' I believe. I do MWR but mostly Brinks boxes. My most recent box of nicks had a 43' P reverse ender. And included a dateless buff.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, too, am a nickle hound. I like nickels best because of all the different coins you can find in a nickel roll. For example, I find a fair number of buffalo's (including a '37 in BU condition), warnics (my favorite, but very difficult to find in good condition because of the silver alloy), V nickels (though haven't found one yet), proofs (I've found a half-dozen or so), Canadian nickels including silver, foreign coins of all types, and error coins such as die breaks and clipped planchets. I also keep any nickel with a mintage of less than 35 million or so, as well as any particular nickel in exceptional condition, with which I improve my books. There's just something about warnics, though, that floats my boat most of all. Oh, and I find no real difference between MWR and CWR, with the exception of a CWR I found recently that contained 25 buffalo's! HH!

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels and cents definitely can pull you out of a slump.

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep any thing 1959 or older...and 1945 and 1942 nickels that were made late in the year are also war nickels.

How do you tell if its a later year?

Update finished a box of MWR found two war nics! 1942 and a 1943 HORZ D!:thumbsup:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
42 thru 45 with the large mint mark over the dome on the reverse are 35% silver.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing a Whitman 1938-1961 nickel binder. So i keep any nickels i need for that. I usually find about 1 war nickel per box of 50 rolls. My best find to date is a decent shape 1903 V nickel.

OP
OP
T

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
each nickel has a date on it
8-)

I meant how do you know if it has been minted late in the year.

However I do think that it was answered by Enamel. I did find a war nic with a large D over the monument. Obviously that one is a war nickle, However i did find a a 42 with a regular "D" mintmark. I didn't consider those a war nic because of no large letter over the monument. But I have been schooled to keep them as well. I am also doing the Whitman Binder.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all nickels Pre-60. I keep common dates when all 4 pillars are visible on the reverse. I keep all lower mintage dates regardless of condition. I keep war nicks, buffs, and V's. I also keep all canadian nickels pre-1981(?) because they are almost pure nickel, and valuable as bullion.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
8-)

However I do think that it was answered by Enamel. I did find a war nic with a large D over the monument. Obviously that one is a war nickle, However i did find a a 42 with a regular "D" mintmark. I didn't consider those a war nic because of no large letter over the monument. But I have been schooled to keep them as well. I am also doing the Whitman Binder.

Yes only the '42-'45 dates with the large mint marks above the dome on rev are silver. But the '42D nics are better date nics and one of the harder dates to find and have a little numis value. For me the '42D's are about as hard to find as '38(P) nics. I dont find too many of either one.

HH!

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8-)

Yes, the 1942D with the regular mintmark is not a silver war nickel, but it is still a minor key date worth keeping, especially in better grades.

N

nickeloid

For numismatics, I keep everything through 1961 (for possibly filling Whitman #1 folders), 2009, errors, proofs, etc.

I'm also separately keeping all other nickels that are clean and in good condition, in case the mint changes the formulation soon. And also because I'm not comfortable dumping large quantities on a branch's tellers.

I'd like to hunt boxes more often, but I can't afford all the coins that would make me have to keep afterwards. :)

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search 4 Loomis boxes and all the cwr's I can get (usually at least 1 box) on a weekly basis. In a little more than a year I've found 7 plus rolls of war nickels, 2 rolls of buffalos including dateless, 2 rolls of 2009s, about 20 proofs, 4 V nickels and completed a set of Jeffersons (though I cheated a little to get the 50D as I related in a previous post).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread