1st & 2nd attempts at coin roll hunting

NeverResting

May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I tried my luck at some halves with 2 boxes but no silver but some cool finds. They were customer returns per the teller and in preformed String & Son wrappers with crimp end up, so it fooled me at first. Bottom end was undone and hand folded.

I didn't let it stop me from enjoying myself. I sorted the coins by year on the table and made some rolls of what I think are BU & AU quality and even found a 1982 with a very faint G but no F. I enjoyed the quality pieces and error searching so having no silver wasn't really a problem. I have a Whitman folder that my daughter is starting and she was working with me. She found a 2001 in really good condition so she used that one as her first coin in the folder. She's allowed one coin per week into her folder to keep her from filling it too fast and enjoying it over time.

I wanted to go back to the bank (B of A) and order up some more so hopefully I can get a sealed box. The teller asked the vault teller and she told him that she's is not capable of ordering half dollars. So I said no problem thank you and went to the next location to try my luck (also a B of A).

I figured I'd break the ice and ask for $1000 in quarters which I'm sure she had on hand. I then said "I'd like to also order up some halves from the vault if you guys don't have any on hand." She checked bank's cash vault, no boxes but brought me 3 rolls and 7 loose. She ordered up 4 boxes from the vault to be picked up Friday without even asking any questions. Just said no problem, they'll be here Friday and took my phone number. So I have until then to go through the quarters.

I popped opened the 3 rolls and one of the rolls had 6 40% in it. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting anything silver wise and already decided I'll be buying silver coins in addition to coin rolling since prices are low. I'm honestly loving the BU & AU hunt in it of itself. I hope to find some more errors and proofs and I'll be reporting back with photos as they're all home. I'm posting from work because I got so excited I couldn't wait LOL

So question everyone. One quarter box was Brink's sealed, and inside were plastic wrapper BU 2013 Mount Rushmore quarters. They look great and I'm hesitant to open them. I'm using savings money to coin roll hunt, so I don't mind storing my savings as coins. Would you recommend I keep the 2013 Mount Rushmores or just maybe a couple rolls for the future? Would something like that be worth keep for increase over face value with time, or would cashing those in and getting $500 in silver for long term investment be a better choice with these quarters?

I'm going to go through the other box of quarters and I'll report back on my findings.

2013 P Mount Rushmore Quarter box
20140528_104535.jpg 20140528_104545.jpg 20140528_104558.jpg 20140528_104608.jpg

Photos of the other box
20140528_104617.jpg

Photos of the 6 40% silvers found in a bank wrapped roll

20140528_104646.jpg

Thanks and I hope to bring a report of any quarter finds as early as tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd give the quarters back personally. Congrats on the silver! Great score! Gl on the rest of the quarters!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats pretty cool about the solid date/design quarter box. I've wondered if anyone ever found any new solid quarter boxes like that before. Those probably sell for a little premuim on ebay but after costs the seller may not make too much if any money. Maybe u could try a CL ad or give your LCS a call to see if u might be able to dump them for a little profit. But like u said, keeping the whole box is a lot of money to tie up for the slight numis value they might gain over time but if u like to collect quarters keeping a few rolls for yourself is an idea.

And congrats on the halves. Seems like finding silver from customer halves is getting more difficult for me lately. Actually Im having trouble finding many customer halves at all this year. Its an unpreditable hobby, thats for sure.

Good luck to you and HSH!

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding silver so quickly! That will keep you pumped up for awhile. I like that you are involving your daughter. I can't wait until my 4 yr old grandson can enjoy crh'ing with me. Most crh'ers avoid quarters because they produce so seldom but maybe you'll be the exception, you never know. I might keep a roll or two of the Mount Rushmore quarters un-opened but I think you'll find storage space issues if you try to keep all that sort of thing that you find.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's easy to say what others should do with their money. Deciding what to do with mine is tough (-: One option is to hold onto the rolls a while to see if any varieties come up. Then you'd have the perfect batch of coins to hunt for die varieties/errors. It doesn't seem that there is much excitement in modern quarter collecting though, other than the initial flurry to try and fill a state quarter map.

OP
OP
N

NeverResting

May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so I got some photos finally to post back. Out of the 4 boxes I found a 1964, 1968, and two proofs. The boxes were ridge checked. The rolls all had slits in them. Well they missed two silvers so that made me happy. I also had a lot of BU coins in the boxes that I'm keeping the best ones out of.

IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0024.jpg

The photos show a lot more detail than can be seen with the naked eye. I was using my DSLR with a macro lens and with live view I can look for errors without straining my eyes as it shows on the whole computer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread