I return again! College, Copper Hoarding and New Job!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Hello Everybody. So I have been off and on for the past year or so, and I just want to give an update on my life and penny hunting. I'm starting college in the Fall to double major in business management and corporate finance. I just got a job at Circle K, which means I can finally start copper hoarding! Once the penny is abolished, I expect I could get 1.8c on the penny hopefully 5-10 years from now which is an alright investment. I'm only going to go through around $100.00 a week because I just don't have the time to hand sort $400-$500 a week. Maybe I can do more later, but I don't know. I'm glad to be back for good now hopefully! Also, thank god I'm finally 18 because that means I can open up a bank account with First Merit, and they have two coin counters.

I honestly just can't wait to see what happens in the next year of my life!

I hope everyone is finding lots of good stuff!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey CC, welcome back! Congrats on the job (nice to do a little CRHing at lol), good luck in college! HH, Maverick.

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back! That's a solid degree choice as far as financial security goes. I hope you like spreadsheets, lol. Even if you don't you might be able to retire at 50 and do what you want after that. Good luck!

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Welcome back! That's a solid degree choice as far as financial security goes. I hope you like spreadsheets, lol. Even if you don't you might be able to retire at 50 and do what you want after that. Good luck!

Thanks! Actually, you could say I live off spreadsheets. I use them for everything in my life!

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Aerial mapping and we use a lot of spreadsheets. You can do some pretty wild things with formulas in Excel.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. just curious.............why a zinc for your avatar? gotta be a story, right?

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
It's a 1999 Wide AM cent. It's a rare variety I found. I actually just sold it for over $100

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had to be a good one, I see it is in a flip. Nice...HH! and good luck

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Copper crazy, take my advice and don't hand sort cents during college and focus on your GPA. If you want to mess around with cents, then use a rye-dale.

And please do not worry about double majoring right off the bat, otherwise course advisers will suggest you take around 18 credits per semester which can be detrimental to your GPA. Work on grades at first then decide if you want to invest the effort to double major.

Business management is not that good of a major unless you are looking at managerial roles such as general manager. Economics + corporate finance would be a good double major. You might want to see if your school offers an expedited MBA program, I know many that are 4+ for B.A/B.S./B.S.B.A and 1 year for MBA. Conceivably, such programs start after 90 credits and if you were taking the workload for a dual major hitherto this (15-18 a semester), you could conceivably have Corporate finance+MBA in the same period of time (4 years) which would land you a good position in investment banking pending on your GPA.

The best thing I recommend is focus on GPA, then apply to a good school, for post-graduate education (MBA, or masters program). Dual majoring/early graduate programs typically will be inferior as they will hinder your GPA and likely would mean you will forgo a superior post-graduate institution (superior in terms of rankings/starting salary).

Last edited:

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
Copper crazy, take my advice and don't hand sort cents during college and focus on your GPA. If you want to mess around with cents, then use a rye-dale.

And please do not worry about double majoring right off the bat, otherwise course advisers will suggest you take around 18 credits per semester which can be detrimental to your GPA. Work on grades at first then decide if you want to invest the effort to double major.

Business management is not that good of a major unless you are looking at managerial roles such as general manager. Economics + corporate finance would be a good double major. You might want to see if your school offers an expedited MBA program, I know many that are 4+ for B.A/B.S./B.S.B.A and 1 year for MBA. Conceivably, such programs start after 90 credits and if you were taking the workload for a dual major hitherto this (15-18 a semester), you could conceivably have Corporate finance+MBA in the same period of time (4 years) which would land you a good position in investment banking pending on your GPA.

The best thing I recommend is focus on GPA, then apply to a good school, for post-graduate education (MBA, or masters program). Dual majoring/early graduate programs typically will be inferior as they will hinder your GPA and likely would mean you will forgo a superior post-graduate institution (superior in terms of rankings/starting salary).
Ditto Dawg!!!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting to this point in your life, copper. And for having the ambition you have. As a double business major myself who learned the hard way that a business degree isn't the best way to go, I'd like to give you some food for thought. I graduated in 1999 with a degree in Marketing & International Business. After looking for a job for about a year without success (turning down a mgmt job with a car rental company and a sales job with a uniform company), I did some homework & decided to go back to school and start over from scratch. 5+ years later, I graduated from pharmacy school, and have been a pharmacist ever since. Last year I made $160K+. My point is this: your best shot is not to just get a degree, but to learn a TRADE. Go on Google and search "best paying jobs." Of the top 20 of 2014, only one is remotely related to business (market research analyst). What are the best jobs? Software & web developers, healthcare (dentists, pharmacists, nurses, physicians, phys therapists) civil & mechanical engineers, etc. Don't go to school to learn about something - go to school to learn how to be something. I'm not trying to discourage you - just hoping you'll do some research & find a career that you will both enjoy AND make enough money to live on. All of these careers I mentioned have great staring salaries & are in high demand. I'm having this same discussion with my own son - he is super smart & wants to be an actor. If he makes it, great - but if not, I want to make sure he has a good plan B.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok, I will take the advice everyone, and I have about a year still to really make a decision.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Meanwhile make good with the Circle K job and watch the till for silver. Silver + paychecks can mean a Ryedale, which will mean time saved doing the sorting, which will mean the opportunity to sort a greater amount. One serious word of advice? Don't let your roommmates know about the cents or they will treat the bucket as beer money.

Rascal

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting to this point in your life, copper. And for having the ambition you have. As a double business major myself who learned the hard way that a business degree isn't the best way to go, I'd like to give you some food for thought. I graduated in 1999 with a degree in Marketing & International Business. After looking for a job for about a year without success (turning down a mgmt job with a car rental company and a sales job with a uniform company), I did some homework & decided to go back to school and start over from scratch. 5+ years later, I graduated from pharmacy school, and have been a pharmacist ever since. Last year I made $160K+. My point is this: your best shot is not to just get a degree, but to learn a TRADE. Go on Google and search "best paying jobs." Of the top 20 of 2014, only one is remotely related to business (market research analyst). What are the best jobs? Software & web developers, healthcare (dentists, pharmacists, nurses, physicians, phys therapists) civil & mechanical engineers, etc. Don't go to school to learn about something - go to school to learn how to be something. I'm not trying to discourage you - just hoping you'll do some research & find a career that you will both enjoy AND make enough money to live on. All of these careers I mentioned have great staring salaries & are in high demand. I'm having this same discussion with my own son - he is super smart & wants to be an actor. If he makes it, great - but if not, I want to make sure he has a good plan B.

Most people do not realize how long it takes to get a PharmD or how respectable of a degree it is to attain. Congrats to you baddbluff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread