Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
noticed a coin with no reeded edge, assumed another crappy foreign coin. first glance noticed the sickly looking eagle. then I realize every detail of coin is: wrong portrait, wrong eagle, wrong olive branch, letters do not match, MM too big and tilted, finally the weight is 5.2 grams. Monday will be a day to contact Treasury, Secret Service or FBI to notify them of this insidious effort to damage our thriving economy by dumping fake quarters into circulation. the good news is no Canadian qtrs. in the box, but no silver either. IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0991.JPG

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday will be a day to contact Treasury, Secret Service or FBI to notify them of this insidious effort to damage our thriving economy by dumping fake quarters into circulation.
I wouldn't go that far, it's only one fake quarter. I mean, I've found fake coins in rolls before too, but is it really necessary to contact the Treasury, Secret Service or FBI? The have much greater tasks to investigate such as fake $100 bills. They'll probably just laugh off a fake quarter being found.

Now if you found a box loaded with fake quarters, that would be an issue to bring up...
HH
Buff

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The nose is wrong,the hair ribbon is wrong,the olive branch is missing leaves,the wing feathers are wrong,GWs hair is wrong.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd slab it (plastic holder) and call it a bad hair day for Washington. Otherwise it's an interesting curiosity but I can't imagine counterfeiting quarters would be profitable even for the Chinese.

Rascal

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently, on another thread I have been set straight on this. What you have there is a"replica", not a counterfeit, and it is highly collectible.
It's basically the kind of thing that would come included in the accessory package as incentive to buy a high-end metal detector from certain retailers....

By the way, I am being facetious

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The nose is wrong,the hair ribbon is wrong,the olive branch is missing leaves,the wing feathers are wrong,GWs hair is wrong.

You're right, why didn't they use an original quarter and make a standard die?

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd slab it (plastic holder) and call it a bad hair day for Washington. Otherwise it's an interesting curiosity but I can't imagine counterfeiting quarters would be profitable even for the Chinese.

Rascal

Well, the average Chinese earns $200 a month, the US dollar is the world default currency, and is basically accepted everywhere.
if you put some ridges on that thing it would pass over very well almost anywhere.

Last edited:

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would someone counterfeit a quarter. there can't be any money to be made doing it.
plus i understand they are magnetic and get caught in vending machines.
i could see a valuable antique coin but a modern one

I'd slab it (plastic holder)as a counterfeit as the government already knows all about them.
Chinese Coin Counterfeting Ring Makes Fake Silver Coins - Fake US Coins & Fake Crowns

dollar coins i could see being counterfeited.
ANTHONY AND SACAGAWEA DOLLAR COUNTERFEITS

ANTHONY AND SACAGAWEA DOLLAR COUNTERFEITS

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe you have found a magician's trick quarter.

Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 12.30.29 PM.png

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a CC quarter. as in CHINESE COUNTERFIET

Yes, sir-eee, that's a CC if I've ever seen one. But dawgs, the chinese don't even make counterfiet quarters in 2014 to my understanding. They call it "chump change" now-a-days.

The chinese are onto $1 coins, it's despicable (I'm not advocating or suggesting anyone buy this, I'm just point out that this website illegally sells US Coins, I am by no means affiliated, suggest you buy, or even look at this in a positive light, I just want to show that this page exists)

Presidential Dollar Coin - Buy Police Challenge Coin,Gold Coins Personalized,Funny Coins Product on Alibaba.com

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly not real but I do have a hunch it is a magicians quarter. Since the fake should be magnetic, hiding a small magnet in your clothing and doing a coin vanishing trick would make it look quite real.

Danman

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be surprised if that fake quarter really is from China. Those counterfeiters really need to find something else to do with their time.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just want to confirm that it is magnetic. magician coin or Commie China, it is a piece of crap that I will not put back in circulation. Nixon should have never allowed trade with that country, we would have done just fine and still have our jobs, our stuff would cost more but it would be quality, something I see every day digging 150 year old relics. the most basic items were made to last unless you dropped a mountain on them either I am getting old or just politically incorrect

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like you guys are dying for a Chinese quarter conspiracy--- but sorry, what you have is a trick quarter.

No world domination plot. Just a trick quarter. Lot's of them get accidentally put into circulation.

Yours looks like the magnetic version.

Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 9.07.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 9.07.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 9.07.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 9.08.19 PM.png

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Gib, gib gib, I says it once and i'll say it once more, quarters are chump change to the Chinese now. There still are fake Susan B anthonies and other atrocities coming out of china

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You ought to consider changing your username to "ambassador of truth".

Yeah, your right.... why ruin a great story with facts.

Dang Chinese.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
allright allready check the dang thing with a magnet and quit fiddling around!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread