Coin counter number switch

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.

Walked in to my dump bank with a bag full of dimes. Searched two boxes, found 4 silvers (not bad!). I had the teller window right in front of the coin machine, so I watched the digital display count the money up. It ended up at $499.60, exactly where I expected it to. I even fished 40 cents out of my pocket and laid it on the counter to round off to an even $500. The teller and I both saw the total.

Then after a second or two, the machine gave the "I'm jammed" signal. I thought this was odd, since it had entirely finished counting, but whatever. The teller opens it, fiddles around for a second with the moving parts, closes it, and hits a button or two to clear the error code.

Now the display reads: $469.26

Um. What?

The teller finds this strange too, since she SAW THE $499.60 TOTAL WITH HER OWN EYES. But she really doesn't know what to do. She hits another button and gets a reading of $564.39. Then she goes over to her computer and starts looking things up.

She then attempts to explain to me that the only other coin run through the machine that day totaled $95.13. The "grand total" reading for the machine is $564.39, and if you subtract $95.13 you get $469.26. Therefore...

I know she wasn't trying to pull a fast one on me, but simply trying to make sense of the situation in real time. However, I wasn't about to eat $30 just because her math added up. I explained that I had searched $500 in dimes and removed exactly four, and reminded her that we had BOTH SEEN the $499.60 total.

She got her manager, who suggested that she simply switch all the bags and re-run the entire contents of the machine. I agreed (didn't really have any other option), but started planning how I was going to respond if the recount didn't add up to justice.

The recount only took a couple minutes, and ended up at $594.73. That's the $95.13 it had before I got there, plus my $499.60.

All's well that ends well, but I'm really baffled at just what the heck happened. And wondering how it might have gone down if the teller *hadn't* seen the correct total before the glitch. Or if the machine had thousands of dollars in it from multiple previous transactions, instead of just $95.13.

I'm also wondering again about a transaction at another bank a few weeks ago where I came up about $20 short. I went back and had them re-check the totals when that happened, and they didn't find any errors. My only theory was that maybe I misplaced 4 rolls of dimes or threw them out with the trash from the other wrappers and boxes or something... but now I'm wondering.

Moral of the story: always know how much you are dumping. And always watch the machine if possible.

Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a similar post about TD on here recently. I knew I was dumping $244, minus less than $1 in keepers but plus some additional change. There were all kinds of problems with the machine and the total came to about $204. I would have never asked them to re-run the bags because there were a lot of them and they were close to full (and I was dumping mixed denominations), so I ate the $40 loss. Sucks, but I have probably pulled more than that in reject tray/tube finds while I have been doing this. Found silver in the reject tube before too.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been shorted on dimes so many times. Just the nature of the game, the universe ebbs and flows.

I had a solid 2013P box of dimes that was entirely counted as cents one time. The entire box. I didn't eat that loss though. I had the lady open up the machine and sure enough the cent bag was full of my dimes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That is really strange.

I've been shorted dimes many times. The receipt shows some dimes counted as cents. My account gets credited later.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah this was different than dimes counted as cents or any other mis-count or no-count. This was "completely accurate count suddenly and incomprehensibly replaced by an entirely different number". It switched right in front of my eyes like a touch screen voting machine in a swing state. Swear to God.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
...she SAW THE $499.60 TOTAL WITH HER OWN EYES...Then she goes over to her computer and starts looking things up.

She then attempts to explain to me that the only other coin run through the machine that day totaled $95.13. The "grand total" reading for the machine is $564.39, and if you subtract $95.13 you get $469.26. Therefore...

To me, this is the really sad part - she believed the computer over what she saw with her own eyes.

:rolleyes:

Glad you worked it out in the end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions