First time CRH, $482.00 in halves, skunked!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hit two branches. One had $30 rolled and $20 in a bag, and $1 loose, and the other had $430 in rolls.

I am not sure what the best efficient work flow is, but since this was my first time, I sorted them all by year and mintmark. That took ALOT of time!

I had no S's, no proofs, no silver. Tons of 1971, 2013, 1974………..hard any in the 200x's other than a few 2000 and 2001. Tons of bicentennial.

I looked to see if I had any 1974 obverse double die, of course I didn't.

Was really hoping to get something…….I will hit two more different branches tomorrow.

My plan is to hunt from PNC, we have many around here. And then open an account at TD to dump since they have coin counters. I am hoping thats a good strategy.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I imagine sorting all your searched halves by year and mint mark is rather time consuming. And u found a ton of 2013's? I've only found a few of those so far myself. Were they in mwr's or cwr's? I currently have a 5 1/2 half box ($2,750) skunk streak going myself. Just gotta get through the skunks to get to the good stuff.

Good luck and H$H!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
About $100 of my haul was 2013's, i had 3 2014's as well and 8 or so 2012's. But that isn't a big deal right, i mean those are basically worthless right?

The 2012's-2014's almost seemed to have a different feel than the other clad halves. Perhaps its because they are so new the finish is more silky, not sure, just seemed different.

I thought about just keeping one specimen from each year and mintmark……….do most of you do this? My goal was really just silver hunting, but maybe its worthwhile to keep at least one coin for each minting? Thoughts?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's a lot of 2013's. That's very unusual to get a collection dump with so many new halves like that. They were in customer wrapped rolls right? Do they look like they're still mostly in AU/AU+ condition? I haven't checked but if they are in nice condition those coins might sell for a little premium on ebay - but after fees u probably wouldn't have much profit.

I still save the nicest NIFC's I find so I'd be tempted to save those if they're in nice condition but $100 is a lot of money to tie for such little numis value. But then again this is the 50th anniversary of the JFK half dollar so maybe JFK halves will be a little more popular when the Mint releases those 50th anniversary commem coins later this year so maybe u might have better luck selling them for a little profit later this year Idk.

I found a small collection dump in two cwr's earlier today myself - a few silver in one roll and another roll with one very nice condition shinny '79S proof and the rest of the coins in the roll were mostly AU+/UNC halves from the early seventies. At first I thought most of the roll might be proofs because the coins looked so shinny and the edges were so thick and shinny too but they were just very nice condition P's and D's. I might save them to take to my LCS the next time I'm there to see if he might offer me a little money for them because Im sure they have a little numis value. Just never know what you'll find with this hobby. :)

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About $100 of my haul was 2013's, i had 3 2014's as well and 8 or so 2012's. But that isn't a big deal right, i mean those are basically worthless right?
Yeah, worth about what you paid for them, +/- .50 each. Not worthless.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The strange thing is, the Mint sells the modern unc halves for a rather high premium (including shipping about twice fv for a two roll set) so whoever bought them last year took a pretty substantial loss by just dumping them at fv at the bank.

But I think they also sell $100 half dollar Mint bags for a little less of a premium so maybe someone just dumped a $100 Mint bag Idk. Strange though. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I will just hold onto the 2013's. Should I also keep the 3 or so 2014's I have?

These were clumsily wrapped rolls so I assume thats CWR. some coins had marks on them from a sharpie (not all of them though).

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
The strange thing is, the Mint sells the modern unc halves for a rather high premium (including shipping about twice fv for a two roll set) so whoever bought them last year took a pretty substantial loss by just dumping them at fv at the bank. But I think they also sell $100 half dollar Mint bags for a little less of a premium so maybe someone just dumped a $100 Mint bag Idk. Strange though. :icon_scratch:

Somebody else on this forum hypothesized that dealers buy bags/rolls of NIFCs from the mint and then cherry pick the highest grade coins to be slabbed and then dump the rest.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
It's hard to give advise about whether someone should keep coins like this with very little if any numis value above fv. Its kinda a judgment call everyone has to decide for themselves. Im somewhat of a coin hoarder - mostly silver but sometimes I like to collect nice clad coins like NIFC's too if they're in really nice condition. But $100 in NIFC's rather a lot of money to tie up, esp all at once. Idk what kinda condition they're in, but unless they are in really nice AU+ condition you likely wont be able to make much if any money on them if that's your intention. If u like to collect half dollars maybe u could just keep some of the nicest ones and dump the rest, but that's entirely up to u.

I still have $120 in uncirculated mostly NIFC halves (2001-2006) in US Mint rolls I got earlier this year at a bank and those rolls sell on ebay for about the same price the Mint sells them for - about 1 1/2 - 2 times fv. But once loose coins like these have been circulated then the collectable value is mostly lost - though that's really in the eye of the beholder. Maybe u could check ebay to see what similar coins like these in the same condition are selling for to help u decide if u think they're worth keeping.

Good luck and HH!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Somebody else on this forum hypothesized that dealers buy bags/rolls of NIFCs from the mint and then cherry pick the highest grade coins to be slabbed and then dump the rest.

They likely do. When this subject comes up, I usually think of the guy on HSN because he's probably the largest dealer of modern slabbed coins in the country. I was wondering if he or someone working for him might have been the one's who dumped all those proof halves Maverick found recently. Since this year is the 50th anniversary of the JFK half dollar, I bet that guy has been trying to put together even more half dollar sets than usual this year to try and capitalize on the 50th anniversary theme.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
signal, welcome to the world of half dollar hunting, believe me, you'll get skunked waaay more often than you'll find silver, keep at it, you'll find something eventually :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread