Satin Finish Buff Nickels

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, a whole solid box of them? Have they been circulated? If they're uncirculated they should have some numis value. Well I suppose if you're sure they're satin finish then they must be from mint sets - but that seems very odd. I'd check with your LCS to see what they might offer u, or try CL or ebay. GL

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not quite sure what they look like, is there a way that you could attach a photo?
HH
Buff

OP
OP
S

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
It is a complete box of Brinks rolls. They are a light gold color. I will try to get a pic up. How would that many get into the wild from mint sets puzzling.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are satin finish then they musta been dumped by a very large dealer or maybe the US Mint itself for some reason. :dontknow:

OP
OP
S

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
In the meantime what do I do with them? The difference shows up on my scanner but not nearly as different as in person. Could this difference be toning, if so I have never seen this before.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe they're just regular finish coins that a collector has stored away for years that have developed the golden toning over the years. That makes more sense and seems more likely than them all being from mint sets. They must be in high grade condition and the nice toning would add a little to the collectable value too. Id have them checked out at your LCS to get their opinion. Good luck

Just thinking, maybe u got hold of an unc unoped box from back in 2005 that's never been circulated and your the first to get it. If so that's really cool and the coins should have some numis value - esp with nice golden toning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I am almost certain these are the Satin finish. Does anyone have any idea how I can make this pronounced difference show up in my pics? If I can I think these might be going to e-bay. Thanks for the help.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
It's possible they could be satin finish but it just seems much more likely u got an old box of unc regular finish coins that have toned over the years than some large dealer dumping that many nickels from mint sets. The toning can sometimes be a little misleading on some coins. But its a cool find and they should have some numis value either way. I'd have them appraised by a coin expert to confirm before u try to sell so u know for sure what they are and have a better idea of value. GL

I was just thinking about Maverick finding a whole box of clad half proofs recently. Its possible some large dealer like that guy on HSN has been busting open thousands of mint sets and proof sets lately - maybe to put together a large quantity of Kennedy half dollar sets to sell later this year to try and capitalize on the hype he will be trying to create about the 50th anniversary of the JFK half dollar or something. :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Thanks, Silver, I believe I will put a few rolls on the Bay and see what happens, even if I can only make it worth my wild all is not lost. I am always looking to extend my bankroll. With the low price of Silver now I can not justify selling it to keep going. I have been at this for years and I don't intend to stop anytime soon unless my banks show me the door. Thanks again.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Silver, I believe I will put a few rolls on the Bay and see what happens, even if I can only make it worth my wild all is not lost. I am always looking to extend my bankroll. With the low price of Silver now I can not justify selling it to keep going. I have been at this for years and I don't intend to stop anytime soon unless my banks show me the door. Thanks again.

My thoughts too. I've been hoarding silver for several years now myself - I only wish I had started sooner. And now is sure not the time to be selling silver but rather to continue stacking and hoarding as much as u possibly can. As my man Peter Schiff says - with the current economic conditions of today and while nearly everyone is still so completely clueless about sound money, there has probably never been a better buying opportunity in the history of the world to buy gold and silver than there is today. And buying my silver @ face is what I plan on doing as long as I possibly can.

Good luck and H$H!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check some and see if you have any speared buffalo!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Check some and see if you have any speared buffalo!

I was waiting for someone to mention the Speared Bison variety. It is a known die crack that carries a hefty premium especially in mint state.

Also, there is a Wounded Bison variety with a less pronounced die crack that pierces the upper hind quarter of the bison. It carries less of a premium.

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It's possible they could be satin finish but it just seems much more likely u got an old box of unc regular finish coins that have toned over the years than some large dealer dumping that many nickels from mint sets. The toning can sometimes be a little misleading on some coins. But its a cool find and they should have some numis value either way. I'd have them appraised by a coin expert to confirm before u try to sell so u know for sure what they are and have a better idea of value. GL

I was just thinking about Maverick finding a whole box of clad half proofs recently. Its possible some large dealer like that guy on HSN has been busting open thousands of mint sets and proof sets lately - maybe to put together a large quantity of Kennedy half dollar sets to sell later this year to try and capitalize on the hype he will be trying to create about the 50th anniversary of the JFK half dollar or something. :dontknow:

I ended up getting four of those boxes in total, all from 98 to 04 or 05, still can't explain what or where they came from. HH, Maverick.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I ended up getting four of those boxes in total, all from 98 to 04 or 05, still can't explain what or where they came from. HH, Maverick.

Wow, that's an incredible amount of proofs. That's really amazing. If it wasn't the US Mint my guess is still the HSN coin guy. He's probably the largest volume dealer in the country, including mint sets and proofs sets and he probably has connections all over the country. Maybe those coins were lower quality ones that just weren't good enough quality to make it into some half dollar sets he's trying to put together later this year. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread