Help needed IDing error type (or is this just PMD?)

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help needed ID'ing error type (or is this just PMD?)

I found this a couple of weeks ago. I am still not comfortable ID'ing the differences between a strike through grease and a capped die, but this one has me even more stumped than usual. I wouldn't even know what terminology would be appropriate in describing what is happening here. The obverse is a complete mess, but the reverse is pretty much normal... that being the case, I would have a hard time believing this to be a "vice job" or some other form of PMD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW-- I put the 2011 Lincoln next to the coin to show that the camera is indeed properly focused!)

5.JPG

9.JPG

8.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks pretty cool and very unusual. Idk much about error coins but that sure looks like a whopper to me. Collectors make such a big deal out of some doubled die errors and other types of errors that often times look so slight you have to strain your eyes to even see them. But I personally would prefer owning what looks like an obvious extreme one of a kind error coin like this but it seems so many error coin collectors are mostly interested in specific error coins listed in guide books. But if u decided not to keep the coin for yourself, I bet it would sell for some decent money on ebay. That would probably be the best way to determine its true value. Congrats on a cool find and good luck!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To the naked eye, I would say it's a "Triple Die Strike", by looking closely at the three rows of zeros on the date. Two rows are strong, with the third row faint but definitely present. Either way, a nice find to hang onto.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a doubled die. Looks like a coin with multiple strikes. Nice find!

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in thus far. Glad to see that nobody seems to think that this is post-mint damage.

I like Enamel7's suggestion of a multiple strike instead of a doubled die. I just wonder if the multiple images are the result of the coin quickly moving while being struck once, or if it was actually subjected to several strikes before being ejected. Is it possible that the the extra images are the result of a capped die that had accumulated multiple images? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the process.

This questions probably gets asked a ton, so my apologies for asking... would this be worth sending in to PCGS or some other reputable firm for classification and grading? I'm very hesitant to take this to a local coin shop to see what they think. The last time I took one of my CRH finds in for an "expert" opinion (a 1982 Lincoln memorial with a major obverse CUD) the guy feigned indifference and offered to give me $8 for it. Long story short, I didn't send it in to be slabbed, but I did sell it on Ebay for $113.50. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread