"You dont want that one,its old"

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
"You don't want that one,it's old"

That is the sage advice given to me this morning by a teller. The 1942 Jimmy "JJ" Walker was sitting in her tray. I agreed to take it off her hands. She also had 5 Ikes that she was counting in her tray everyday. You would think someone who handles coins everyday might be a little sharper. Cheers to all, Jim
If I could find a clean glass, I would take a shot of Johnny Walker to toast the other Walker.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "You don't want that one,it's old"

WTG Jim. That is so surprising to me...wow. Kudos for being at the right place at the right time. I have never even seen a Franklin in a tray yet. Congrats!!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

That's funny! LOL Congratulations on the Walker and the Ikes!

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend

What's up with the Ike's? Are they worth anything? I've never heard of them having any value (other than a dollar) and was curious.

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

There were/are over 15 million 40% Ikes out there in circulation. Have you hoisted one of these jewels ? I don't have the figures for how much silver comes out of an Ike Dollar but they are sure easier to read than dimes especially for my old eyes. Cheers, Jim

And if you have grandkids,they go nuts for them at Xmas and birthdays.(just a bonus)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coolpix9 said:
I don't have the figures for how much silver comes out of an Ike Dollar.....

As of today with silver @ $13.31 they are worth. $4.21

schramm

Dec 25, 2006

coolpix9 said:
There were/are over 15 million 40% Ikes out there in circulation. Have you hoisted one of these jewels ? I don't have the figures for how much silver comes out of an Ike Dollar but they are sure easier to read than dimes especially for my old eyes. Cheers, Jim

And if you have grandkids,they go nuts for them at Xmas and birthdays.(just a bonus)
The 40% silver Ikes were ONLY issued as proofs,to collectors,they were NEVER released for circulation.

If someone finds one at a bank,it means it was removed from it's mint case and spent into circulation by someone not knowing it's collector value.

Also if it is found at a bank it will likely be nicked or otherwise damaged and only be worth the silver value,which would still be nice to find at face value but so rare it is not likely to happen,but it does happen occasionally according to some on this forum.

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City

schramm said:
coolpix9 said:

The 40% silver Ikes were ONLY issued as proofs,to collectors,they were NEVER released for circulation.

If someone finds one at a bank,it means it was removed from it's mint case and spent into circulation by someone not knowing it's collector value.

Also if it is found at a bank it will likely be nicked or otherwise damaged and only be worth the silver value,which would still be nice to find at face value but so rare it is not likely to happen,but it does happen occasionally according to some on this forum.

Killjoy, If CP9 says he found a silver Ike....You can take it to the bank!!! Thanks Jim and wtg on the silver. Bongo

dlindsay

Jan 28, 2007
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , DFX and others

Speaking of Ike's. Found one today. Was in a roll with mostly 1998s
The 98s may make unc class. Was a 72-s in fine shape. The roll was old and falling apart, was taped together

dlindsay

Jan 28, 2007
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , DFX and others

Long Day Ike was a 72-s and the rest are 1978s Screwed that up good ..haha going to bed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread