Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone!

I have two nephews ages 4 and 6 years old. I am wanting to get them interested in a hobby that doesn't use a television. I thought perhaps coin collecting might be something they would find interesting. I'm on a tight budget and had originally thought about putting together a wheat penny album. A couple guys from T-Net, knowing I am not a coin collector, told me of the price of some of the wheat pennies....HOLY COW! They suggested Jefferson nickel albums instead.

So here is where I come to you guys seeking advice. If I were to go to the bank and purchase rolls of nickels would it take me forever to find the coins I need to build the two albums? I was thinking of the 1938-1961 books. Also, when asking for rolls of nickels do I ask for bank rolls or customer rolled coins?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm going up for a visit this fall and my idea is to leave some holes in the albums for them to fill. Then their dad can pick up a few rolls from the bank each week and they can break them open and go through them together looking for the needed coins.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Upvote 0

georgia boy

Feb 4, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would probably not take to long to find most of them but some could take years to find like the 1950d and 1939d and it would be even harder if you had to find two of each.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone!

I have two nephews ages 4 and 6 years old. I am wanting to get them interested in a hobby that doesn't use a television. I thought perhaps coin collecting might be something they would find interesting. I'm on a tight budget and had originally thought about putting together a wheat penny album. A couple guys from T-Net, knowing I am not a coin collector, told me of the price of some of the wheat pennies....HOLY COW! They suggested Jefferson nickel albums instead.

So here is where I come to you guys seeking advice. If I were to go to the bank and purchase rolls of nickels would it take me forever to find the coins I need to build the two albums? I was thinking of the 1938-1961 books. Also, when asking for rolls of nickels do I ask for bank rolls or customer rolled coins?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm going up for a visit this fall and my idea is to leave some holes in the albums for them to fill. Then their dad can pick up a few rolls from the bank each week and they can break them open and go through them together looking for the needed coins.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

You would likely have to search hundreds of $100 boxes of nickels to complete 2 sets.

While I greatly admire your intentions, I think you have the wrong idea. The fun part for the kids is searching the coins looking for keepers for their albums. My advice is to buy them each an empty wheat cent and nickel album and give them some (seeded) rolls to get them started.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would likely have to search hundreds of $100 boxes of nickels to complete 2 sets.

While I greatly admire your intentions, I think you have the wrong idea. The fun part for the kids is searching the coins looking for keepers for their albums. My advice is to buy them each an empty wheat cent and nickel album and give them some (seeded) rolls to get them started.

That's an excellent idea. So you can buy rolls of wheat pennies still even though they're not made anymore? Or do you mean rolls of regular pennies and stick some wheat cents inside them?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent idea. So you can buy rolls of wheat pennies still even though they're not made anymore? Or do you mean rolls of regular pennies and stick some wheat cents inside them?

I'd just stick a few wheaties and older nickels in some regular rolls. If you make it too easy, then it won't be that big of a deal when a keeper is found. Plus, when you or someone else takes them to the bank to cash in their rejects and get more rolls, they won't be horribly disappointed when the fresh rolls produce WAY less than what they're used to, thereby causing them to lose interest. I have some very fond memories filling coin folders with my father and remember well how exciting it was when a keeper was found.

If one or both really take a shine to the hobby, some of the more expensive/hard to find coins will make excellent birthday/Christmas/etc presents.

Last edited:

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^That is some good advice and some great ideas^^^ Good luck.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, for $25, you can find an at least 10 wheats in a box. Buy two boxes, one for eac kid. Then you get the non-wheats to cash in and get more. That's where the fun comes from.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not here. I got as many as 8 once. Most boxes here have 3 or 4. I've even skunked a few times.

Sorry to hear that. I know it varies, but I didn't think my rates were that crazy. Even if there are only 5 to a box, that still makes the hunt fun. Too many finds and you don't feel like it is special.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The best part of coin collecting is "the thrill of the HUNT". Although I've been collecting since I was in high school (early 60's), with a major break of many years in between, I still have some holes on my folders of some key dated coins. Sure it's easier to go to a local coin store to buy the "keys", it's not the same as finding them in the wild. Don't be afraid to find too too many for the folders, there's always "upgrading" to be done; finding the "best of the best". I'm in the process of finding the best of the best for my 12-grand-kids before I turn it over to them. There's always a better coin out there to replace what you already have. There will be plenty of holes for them to fill, and always upgrading to be done, for years & years. The object is to keep their interest in the hobby; reading up on the history of coinage, the DNA of a coin (what was happening in the world when this coin was made, who could of touched it, where has this coin been, etc) are things that could get to a young mans thinking. Your job is to keep their mind stimulated, the coins will eventually find their way to their folders all in good time, even if it takes a LIFETIME.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread