Cent error... Thoughts?

199slowking

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2013
san diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently searching through a few boxes and came across this. I thought it was a cud error the way it is raised up from the surface, but when I looked at other cud error coins, the error stretched over the rim, where as this one does not. I also noticed on the back that the word cent is nonexistent. Any thoughts?

obverse.jpg reverse.jpg

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really correct! I have seen authentic cuds in this same area that extended all the way down to Lincoln's head or others partially or completely cover the Date. However, the cud on the O.P's coin just does not look right as if it was added. Also, the Blakesley Effect (weak area on the opposite side of the coin, in this case the Reverse) does not appear natural to such an occurrence and actually appears that it was ground off.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is possible that it is a genuine Die Cud produced from a Die Break in the Obverse Die. However, with most genuine Die Cuds that I have ever seen, the Cuds appear to almost flow into fields or details of a coin (i.e. tapers and thins on the interior portions of the Cud) and very seldom if ever have an abrupt edge.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread