Nickel boxes

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know about you guys/gals but I've had more luck with nickel boxes lately. Last two have produced 3 war nickels and numerous pre-sixties. Unfortunately...no proofs yet. Haven't finished the 2nd box but did pull two Canadian nickels (1999 and 2011). Latter one is easily AU50...perhaps, higher. Biggest surprize = Republic of Somolia, 5 shilling commerative coin that is also in excellent condition. Sadly worth ~ $0.005 US cents. Composition = aluminum (really!). It is soooooo light, I immediately thought it was a Token. GL and HH.

PS - 2nd box ($100) is actually a bag (mixed MWR & CWR's) from Teller's cabinet. Oddly, some of the rolls are marked N. F. String & Son, Harrisburg, PA. and nearly every nickel in them (~95%) are "P" mint marks. Never seen these wrappers in No. Texas before and Phil. mint marks tend to be a bit of a rarity.

PS#2 - 3 boxes ago, produced a moderately worn 1908 Liberty Head V nickel and a cpl of very worn (no date) Buffaloes. Fun...I tell you, fun!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is neat, I always have luck with nickels, in fact, I have $300 in boxes waiting to be searched within the next few days!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
You can't compare pre1960 Jeffersons, to finding silver.
But, if you focus on the high value nickels: V nickels, Buffs, war nickels, key and semi key Jefferson's (1938D+S, 1939D+S, 1950D), I would say I average 1-2 finds per nickel box.

For me avoiding the dreaded skunk, makes the hunt more fun.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be aware of the errors: '83-P has CUDs at 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions, have found & sold 4 of those at $15 each. also look for light to heavy die clashes on '83-P. '05 bison has SPEARED (D) and DROOLING (P) die cracks. last 2 weeks found 63-D with peeling lamination plus a small CUD under the 3, and a '64-D with large CUD at 10 o'clock, sold for $15. last box was 3 war nics, '83-D FULL STEPS, '40 FULL STEPS in AU-MS condition and ONLY 8 Canadians. 240 boxes done and still no 50-D or handicapped buffaloes

ERobertson

Dec 9, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM V

GARRETT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have focused on nickels recently.

2 boxes yielded 3 silver, numerous S , a dateless buff and a 1976 Mexico 20 Centavos.

HH !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread