Small stash of Ben Franks

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Today was pretty decent for me. Got my two boxes to look through like usual on a Tuesday, and had to get a roll of pennies as well (for normal change, not necessarily for CRH'ing purposes). Used a half to get the roll of pennies, and was met with a remark by the teller that none of the tellers like having the 'weird money' in their drawers. I've no idea why....I guess one less thing to count at the end of the night. So I say, 'ok well I'll empty your drawers of halves and $2s and we'll all be happy.' So out of 16 halves from the teller's drawers I got a '66 and a '67. Next I do the 2 boxes of halves.

First box: Total skunk.
Second box: MUCH better. There was a liberty bell looking me in the face through one of the box's peepholes, so I knew it had to be decent. End up with 3 Franklins (54D, 60D, 62), 4 '64s, 1 '66, 1 '67, 2 '68Ds, 2 69Ds, and a 1974S proof with a really neat toning to it. Here's the pics of all my finds today:

Picture002-1.jpg

Incidentally....I started finding a number of marked halves in the second box. They had initials written on the reverse of some coins (maybe 10 in the whole box) in blue permanent marker, fine point. Looked like maybe a JS but I couldn't tell, as the marker was already fading. Also got a number of halves marked with a semi-permanent sticker that says 'MONKEY MONEY' on the reverse. I've seen these before though. Overall though, pretty great day!
All three Bens were new date/mints for my circulation set and I hadn't gotten a 74S yet either.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!! Nice job on the Frankies. I have never found more than one in a box. I always get a little thrill to be able to fill a slot in my collection book. Keep em coming.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread