Quarter planchet

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this at a local coin shop I'm new to the hobby so thought I would see wha y'all think, I know if they are real there will be no edge. Mine has an edge but can be barley felt when you rub your finger across I'm not sure if it's a forgery or not. It is a coin I can see the clad edge color on sides

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
looks similar to one I have. found it in a roll of Massachusetts quarters. All MA except one that looked odd, so I opened it and found a blank planchet. I have numerous blank pennies, but only one blank quarter. Tougher to find. YOUrs looks about right to me.

OP
OP
J

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it turns out to be one

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Was the Planchet struck on the other side? If not, then I am almost certain that it is a man made error possibly by using a real blank Quarter Planchet. The reason I say this, is because the Planchet never gets a rim until it is struck into a coin and the metal is forced (by the extreme squeeze compression of the striking or minting process) outward into the Collar which creates the rim. If the coin was struck on the other side, then we are talking about a full Capped Die Strike and two Planchets had to enter the Striking Chamber at the same time. If this is the case, then this coin/planchet has an opposite twin out there somewhere (i.e one having a struck Reverse and an unstruck Obverse while the other one has a struck Obverse and an unstruck Reverse).

Frank

OP
OP
J

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank the coin is blank on both sides. There is a faint rim on both sides , very faint but it is there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread