Coin grading?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCGS or NGC recommended. Depends on what is being graded (standard, error, variety, etc.) and how many are being sent. I'd check the sites.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to grade something thru PCGS, you have to be an authorized dealer or join their collectors club ($49/yr).

Once a member you can submit coins for grading. There are different fees based on the type of coin you are submitting. For example, modern coins (1965-date, valued up to $1000) are $16, Economy service is $20 for $300/ under coins, Regular is $32 for coins up to $3k. The fees are more for higher valued coins or for faster turnaround service at major coin shows.

PCGS requires you to pay for Registered mail for the return of your graded coins, and prefers that you ship them to their office the same way.

Due to the high shipping charges, I recommend to wait til you have quite a few coins to grade before joining the club and sending them in. That way, your per-coin average grading/shipping fees will be lower.

I was in the collectors club for a couple years and sent in about 30-40 coins for grading. Aside from the coin grading, members are invited to the PCGS members-only shows in Vegas. Since I live here already, it's a pretty cool perk. I got to go to a couple coin shows, see (and buy) some amazing coins, eat some good food (catered for show visitors), and even went to a couple neat seminars where I got to meet and chat with PCGS experts including David Hall.

I'm not really familiar with NGC (and frankly don't have any respect for ANY of the other grading services besides PCGS & NGC). I do own some NGC-graded coins too that I am happy with.

Those are your best options.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
You can submit to NGC if you are a member of the ANA (American Numismatic Association), or you can pay to join NGC similar to PCGS. If you only want one or two coins graded, your best bet is to find a dealer to submit for you. Prices woulda depend on what you are having graded, but range from about $20 and up per coin.

Hope this helps.

jfreakofkorn

Jul 19, 2012
behind a desk ...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would go w/ it either PCGS or NGC ( top two graders on the market and more desirable ) from what i know and see

this is what collectors look for in holder(s)

they also have ANAC, IGC, ICCS are consider 2nd grade graders ( less desirable )

but here is a quick link to help a bit with any question(s), that you may have:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_grading

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the wonderful information. I have some that I would like to have graded as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread