Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol ok thanks I'm just going to cull all of them as non copper

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not only is 1982 a transition year, but there are some cents from Philly and Denver dated 1983 that were struck on copper planchets. Everyone knows about the 1943 copper cents. Well, as rare as they are, some experts suspect that the 1983 specimens are even rarer.

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not that it relates to 1982 copper pennies copper content, but I want to tell you about a 2013 penny I found. It looked like 1/3 of of the surface got scraped of on the cement or something like that and I really got to see just how much copper they are using today. It actually looks like they just sprayed copper on like a paint job thats how thin it is.. And to think it cost more than a penny to make a penny these days, not sure but I heard 2 or 3 cents per penny.
We might be better off getting rid of the penny like Canada did a while back. Just saying......

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sort 1982 cents either with an expensive Rydale cent sorter, or buy a small gram scale 0.00 grams to determine copper or zinc, (copper 3.11 gm, zinc 2.50 grams). I sort my copper cents 1959-1981, then 1982 separate jar to scale at a later time.

OP
OP
J

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dozed break idea

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I would just like to say that I save copper pennies but do not find the 82s worth weighing. I just throw them in with the other rejects.

OP
OP
J

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya copper that was my idea . I am kinda leaning that way also

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya copper that was my idea . I am kinda leaning that way also

I do that too. I also feel like if I am selling them down the road, it will lead to less confusion. They won't have to trust that I weighed them correctly if there is no risk.

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do people save the 81's and later? I know they are copper, But why save them? Can you sell them for 2 cents a piece or something on Ebay. I CRH everything i can get my hands on. But I don't see the sense in saving coppers unless they are a ddo or error or something else? can someone elaborate?:dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading is fundamental! There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject.
To give a simple answer, yes people do sell them to other people. There is a melting ban on cents, but people still horde them hoping the cent is done away with and the ban lifted.

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reading is fundamental!
Really? Thought that is what we are doing!
Secondly, I do read alot of the forums and alot of the stupid things people say to other people such as this!
If questions are not asked. Nobody learns. Remember this the next time your mean to people who enjoy the same activity as you!

With that rant complete. Thanks for the info.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't trying to be mean. Most of us tire of the same mundane questions being asked when they have been asked again and again! When I first joined this forum I read EVERYTHING! I know there has been a lot posted over the years, but research is the key. There was nothing hateful or mean in what I posted. You know what happens when you assume don't you?
HH
enamel7

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are also 7 varieties of small/large date 1982's: Copper large date P, copper small date P, copper large date D, zinc large date P, zinc small date P, zinc large date D and zinc small date D. I haven't found a zinc large date D yet, but have the rest.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading is fundamental! There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject.
To give a simple answer, yes people do sell them to other people. There is a melting ban on cents, but people still horde them hoping the cent is done away with and the ban lifted.

Wait...What?? You're telling me there are copper in Pennies?!?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've perfected a technology, similar to removing gold plating, that removes the copper plating from post-82 cents. I'm going to be rich!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread