Bicentennial magic coin

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Need help. I have been searching and trying to find a magician coin and finally I "think" I have one. Can't get it open but it sounds like a poker chip when flipped and dropped.

It is a bicentennial S mint which also strikes me that it might not be a magic coin.

It really looks like a silver 40% bicentennial but doesn't sound silver at all just sounds like a dud poker chip so I am confused.

Any help?

I will try glass jar trick to see if it opens

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Check to see if it looks like its been cut around the rim of the reverse. And be careful it you use a glass jar to shake it. I used an empty coffee can to open the last magicians coin I found earlier this year and that seemed to work pretty good.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
See what a magnet will do...

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a magician coin. I tried to open it with jar and instead bent the edges and I can see the outline of a coin inside.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes magnets are used in strange ways to open and close, hide, release... all sorts of things with the coins.

The magician wears a magnetic ring or watch band when utilizing the special coins.

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Used a neodymium magnet but no effect on coin at all.

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
After few hours, lots of research, lots of tools and tricks I determined the coin is not a magician coin. I got duped, fooled, and tricked myself. Haha.

Thanks for tips and hopefully I find the real deal sometime soon.

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After few hours, lots of research, lots of tools and tricks I determined the coin is not a magician coin. I got duped, fooled, and tricked myself. Haha.

Thanks for tips and hopefully I find the real deal sometime soon.

Wait what you just said you could see another coin inside?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pics would definitely help with the answers you seek.

Is the obverse/reverse off center on the stamping?

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin pulled from roll was dirty so I pulled to inspect. After seeing "s" mm I thought maybe this is silver so I dropped it to hear it and it was a poker chip sound. So I got excited bc I read on this site many times about MCs and thought wow I finally found one. So being said the half was very dirty on edges and I scraped it to see if there was a way to open it. Nope so I did glass jar test "first time doing any of this" coin didnt open and it appeared to bend down all the edges and looked like an outline of a coin from obverse side. Many more tools and research like I said I determined I got fooled and this is just a bicentennial dirty clad proof coin.

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Info I should have took pics right away. I have a few MC coming in the mail now so I can now become an expert. Lol. Those that offered help thanks

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, hopefully you'll find the real thing sometime soon. I've only found a few of them over the years myself. I remember the first one I found about three years or so ago I got from some loose halves and the coin just opened up in my hand and I didn't even know at the time what it was. I think it was a '67 British Penny on the inside. The one I found earlier this year was a pretty cool looking '65 Centavos (below).

HH!

Attachments

• Magic half 2014.jpg
    Magic half 2014.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 77

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a bicentennial S mint which also strikes me that it might not be a magic coin.

It really looks like a silver 40% bicentennial but doesn't sound silver at all just sounds like a dud poker chip so I am confused.

Any help?

Its a magician coin. I tried to open it with jar and instead bent the edges and I can see the outline of a coin inside.

After few hours, lots of research, lots of tools and tricks I determined the coin is not a magician coin.

Coin pulled from roll was dirty so I pulled to inspect. After seeing "s" mm I thought maybe this is silver so I dropped it to hear it and it was a poker chip sound. So I got excited bc I read on this site many times about MCs and thought wow I finally found one. So being said the half was very dirty on edges and I scraped it to see if there was a way to open it. Nope so I did glass jar test "first time doing any of this" coin didnt open and it appeared to bend down all the edges and looked like an outline of a coin from obverse side. Many more tools and research like I said I determined I got fooled and this is just a bicentennial dirty clad proof coin.

Pics?

You are 100% sure that it isn't silver? There was a 40% silver proof AND a 40% silver business strike coin minted for 1976.

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thx Boris I am aware of the 40% 1976s. But sadly this is just a clad S. Thanks for looking out though.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thx Boris I am aware of the 40% 1976s. But sadly this is just a clad S. Thanks for looking out though.

The only reason I added my 2 cents here was because there was someone (last year I believe) that said they had a "damaged" coin, that ended up being an error coin and they destroyed it (on accident I think) because they were pulling at a piece of metal and broke it.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't find the thread but the OP of it had a 40% silver half that was peeling apart and they got a pair of pliers and pulled the top layer off of it and people went crazy on the guy.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't find the thread but the OP of it had a 40% silver half that was peeling apart and they got a pair of pliers and pulled the top layer off of it and people went crazy on the guy.

Boris, if you happen to find that thread, i would love to read it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread