1 oz of Silver

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Stopped into the small bank I normally hit every week or so asking for Halves or Ikes. The teller lady said I have 2 Ikes and a funny coin. She proceeded to lay out the Ikes and a 1 Troy oz Silver Trade unit coin. I said can I buy it, she said it was just different enough that she was thinking of buying it. I said how about a dollar and a lunch for everyone? She said that is a deal we all can take, there are 4 other ladies there. So Friday I will bring in pizza for the group. She said you come in here enough I was really saving it for you. She said she took it in as a $1.00 coin that morning. I figure about $10 or $12 bucks for the pizza and I'm still ahead. Ya just never know till you stop in and ask. Over the past 6 months I have dropped off 2 boxes of cookies from the grocery store as a Thank You for not being nasty or mean when I come in coin hunting. I don't have an account with them and wanted to show I was just trying to find the coins I needed. Seems to have worked out OK. About 2 months ago i got a roll of halves with 8 90% coins in it so this small bank every so often does pay out.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just double check it, there are contemporary and modern fakes of trade coins. Have any pics? Does it have any markings from assayers and foreign traders? THey are neat.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, that's quite an unusual and great find. I thought finding a 1oz ASE at a bank last year was a rare find but finding a 1 oz silver round is even more unusual considering it isn't even a coin with a fv. Just never know with this hobby. And it's sure good having tellers looking out for you.

H$H!

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Only 1 pizza for 5 ladies?

No, I'll get 2 extra large and a couple of 2 liter bottles of pop. Around here there are lunch specials all the time so it will be a reasonable cost. The show of thanks will pay off in the long run.

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Just double check it, there are contemporary and modern fakes of trade coins. Have any pics? Does it have any markings from assayers and foreign traders? THey are neat.

It has the sound of silver when dropped on the granite counter top, but I could be fooled I'm sure. I have tried a couple of times to post photos and have never been able to make them show up. I'm doing something wrong but just can't figure out what exactly for posting.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has the sound of silver when dropped on the granite counter top, but I could be fooled I'm sure. I have tried a couple of times to post photos and have never been able to make them show up. I'm doing something wrong but just can't figure out what exactly for posting.

It's OK, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Is it an older (1800's) trade coin, or a modern 1 oz trade round?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I'll get 2 extra large and a couple of 2 liter bottles of pop. Around here there are lunch specials all the time so it will be a reasonable cost. The show of thanks will pay off in the long run.

If you can get 2 extra large pizzas plus a couple of 2 liters of soda for anywhere near $10, that may be about as good of a deal as the silver trade round. :laughing7:

It indeed always is by far the best policy to have tellers at least on your side if not directly saving things for you. Just be warned - if they come to expect "lunch for the house" every single time they save 1 coin, or even on a regular basis (every Friday for example), you may quickly find that the finds don't justify the expense.

superneo123

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I know how mean tellers can be, 1 bank in my town is really nice then the other I go to they are all mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread