Great Finds When Buying 3 Rolls or Less?

Cedric's

Jun 2, 2014
Eastern US
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Gold Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whenever I go out to a store, I just have to ask the cashier if he/she could give me one or two rolls of pennies or nickels. Today, I went grocery shopping and I was able to get 2 rolls of nickels from the cashier. There were 6 pre-1960 nickels in the 2 rolls alone. 1 from 1939 in amazing shape, 2 from 1941, 2 from 1946, and a 1957d. Many of my greatest finds were when I purchased a single roll. Amazingly, just last week I got 1 roll from a local Trader Joe's and got a no date buffalo nickel from just that single roll. My greatest CRH find, an 1863 civil war token in VF+ condition was found when buying a single roll from a local Wawa gas station last year. It is discussed in an earlier thread of mine. My first roll of pennies contained 4 wheats, and my first roll of Halfs contained 3 90 percent Kennedy's. This was all just 2 years ago. Have any of you guys had experiences like this? Please share. It makes me wonder why I have better finds from a single roll rather than a whole box. It makes no sense really. I know I'm not the only one.:icon_scratch:

Today's 6 pre-1960 nickels
image.jpg
The 3 90 percent halfs from 2 years ago
image.jpg

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say generally speaking in terms of amount of coins searched the success rate is much better with cwr and loose coins (esp. halves) than with boxes. I'm not sure what my exact success rate is with customer halves compared to half boxes, but I'm sure Im sure I've had a better success rate with the customer halves. The problem is cwr's (esp halves) and loose halves are scarce often difficult to find.

I suppose the obvious reason is that cwr's are more likely to contain coins that have been out of circulation for longer periods of time and might contain (all or part of) someone's coin collection. And if you get someone's coin collection in cwr's then the collection is concentrated within the rolls you buy. But if someone dumps their older coins/coin collection in a coin counter then those coins will be spread out and diluted among all the other modern day clad coins that will be mwr'd in boxes.

Good luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread