1964 D/D Kennedy!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yesterday we opened 3 boxes and found 12 40%ers and a nice '58-D Franklin - a very good haul for us. We ran out of time and left one box for today. This morning we opened the 4th box and found 3 1964-D's which is a new record for us on '64's (we only just found 2 in a box 2 weeks ago). We also found 8 40%ers making a 4 box total of 20 40%ers, 3 '64-D's and the '58-D. As we're cleaning up I told the kids "go look at these under the microscope and see if they're double D's" The 8 year comes back and says "this one is" I don't really believe him but he said he and his brother agree that it's a double die. I head back to look at it and sure as heck, that's what it is. I'm don't really know anything about this, how rare, value, type of doubling. Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very rare. I've searched over 500 1964-Ds and never find one. Congrats!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find and congrats to the kids for spotting it too! The coin looks like its in really nice condition with a really clear mint mark too which makes it an even better find. I doubt I have any of those myself but I should at least take a closer look at my '64D's also. Im not sure of its value either but a quick search of sold ebay auctions of this coin in similar condition should give you pretty good idea.

Those were a great batch of boxes you and the kids got and it seems you saved the best box for last which is always nice.

H$H!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Great find and congrats to the kids for spotting it too! The coin looks like its in really nice condition with a really clear mint mark too which makes it an even better find. I doubt I have any of those myself but I should at least take a closer look at my '64D's also. Im not sure of its value either but a quick search of sold ebay auctions of this coin in similar condition should give you pretty good idea.

Those were a great batch of boxes you and the kids got and it seems you saved the best box for last which is always nice.

H$H!
Out of 4 boxes we had a skunk, 3, 10 and 11 silvers which is record territory for us. Record on '64's, first time ever to get 10+ silvers twice. It was fun. We also weighed all of the rolls in the 10 silver box to see if we could tell the difference (it had 2 enders). We couldn't tell anything.

I looked on Ebay originally but I know very little about error types and grading. Some of the coins reported as D/D went for $9.00 which means there's $0 premium over a standard '64. Other went north of $100 but were graded 60+ and typed as D/D by the third party. I've never had a coin graded maybe sending this out, plus the 2 '72 T2 IKE's we found a while back might be fun.

Thanks for reading.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats sweet, ill have to go through my collection and look for some...

Let us know what it runs for, thats pretty awesome!

Your kids are a great asset!

HH

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday we opened 3 boxes and found 12 40%ers and a nice '58-D Franklin - a very good haul for us. We ran out of time and left one box for today. This morning we opened the 4th box and found 3 1964-D's which is a new record for us on '64's (we only just found 2 in a box 2 weeks ago). We also found 8 40%ers making a 4 box total of 20 40%ers, 3 '64-D's and the '58-D. As we're cleaning up I told the kids "go look at these under the microscope and see if they're double D's" The 8 year comes back and says "this one is" I don't really believe him but he said he and his brother agree that it's a double die. I head back to look at it and sure as heck, that's what it is. I'm don't really know anything about this, how rare, value, type of doubling. Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:happysmiley: Congrats on a great find. I've never heard of a 64 D/D before, I'll have to check all of mine now. You're getting some good boxes. Hit that silver vein hard. You have good helpers also, enjoy being with them while they are still young.

HH
Gary

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you grade/price a double die? Especially a 64 ken

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
:happysmiley: Congrats on a great find. I've never heard of a 64 D/D before, I'll have to check all of mine now. You're getting some good boxes. Hit that silver vein hard. You have good helpers also, enjoy being with them while they are still young.

HH
Gary

Thanks. Amazingly I have no boxes ordered the next two weeks so I'm just leaving the silver out there for everyone else to find.

I have a blast with the kids looking for kids. The best response so far was when the 6 year old found a '70-D, he about jumped out of the room.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
How do you grade/price a double die? Especially a 64 ken

I don't really know. I've built up ~4 coins so far, 3 from CRH'ing / 1 from ebay, that I'd like to get graded. 3 of them I want the variety verified and the 4th is a token / medal I don't know much about.

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Amazingly I have no boxes ordered the next two weeks so I'm just leaving the silver out there for everyone else to find.

I have a blast with the kids looking for kids. The best response so far was when the 6 year old found a '70-D, he about jumped out of the room.

Problem with these is you lose money getting them graded haha

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!
But let's straighten out a few things. First, this sin't a "doubled die". It is an RPM, which stands for repunched mintmark. They are to separate things. Also, any variety coin will follow the same grading practices as with any coin.
I'm going to look in my Cherrypicker's Guide to try to find a match.
HH
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be FS-50-1964D-501 in the guide. It has a starting value in MS-63 of 25 dollars. I would look for that designation on feebay under completed auctions to get an idea of actual value.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know about this variety.

I think I'll be spending some time researching double D's now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread