enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are naysayers on here that will say otherwise, but the answer is yes.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Hoarding silver now is one of the smartest financial decisions a person can make today. The current high artificial value of the USD will not last much longer and as it continues to depreciate, gold and silver prices will once again return to all time high prices and beyond. Patience is a virtue that for those of us who understand and appreciate sound money will also be a very sweet financial reward. And my boxes sure seemed to have dried up lately too. Hopefully there's better boxes ahead next month.

H$H!

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree. CRHrs will not necessarily be ahead but rather PM hoarders. I've been amazed to see many CRHrs sell off their finds for worthless paper. When I started this hobby a long time ago I realized that CRH consists of three types of individual.

1) Someone like me who started the hobby looking to trade their counterfeit debt backed promissory notes for real money (@ face value).

2) Avid coin collectors who see the numismatic value of each find and love the rich history and diversity of their collection.

3) Those who are motivated by the accumulation of fiat and see CRH as a way of paying some bills.

I personally have never understood group 3. When you get involved in CRH, I would assume that there would be some concept of real value. You cull the AG and dump the clad. Have they ever asked themselves why they do that? Because when you sell your AG, you're really actually dumping it for clad. :icon_scratch:

And before anyone says they only sell to increase their bank roll, I must say you take a big gamble. Selling your AG for paper in hopes of obtaining even more AG? This is an ever shrinking venture with less and less to be culled and by more and more people. When they stop minting halves, they will become what Ikes are now. Very far and in between and removed from the bank's ordering forms. When you truly understand the state of our monetary system, it wont be long until it comes crashing down. The goal should not be to FIND more AG, the goal should be to HAVE more AG.

You will want a good amount of real money during an economic collapse. Social collapse is another matter. During an economic collapse, wealth is not destroyed. Its only transferred. The ones owning physical assets such as PMs will be on the receiving end of that transfer of wealth. The middle class will be obliterated and we will be left with the masses living in poverty with a few super rich elite holding the physical assets. I refuse to live in poverty when that time comes. Don't hate the wealthy, become one of them by being smart and preparing. 8-)

If I still have failed to show group number 3 the light, I think they should at least exchange the paper notes for clad coin. This way they still keep some of the CuNi value... I believe that if you've bought into the deception that paper bills actually hold value, it would be a lot wiser to CRH only for the paper rolls. This would be very lucrative for you. Not only are they free, come included with every roll of these awful metal disks known as coin, and they weigh close to nothing! But wait, the best part yet is that they even burn a whole lot better than dollar bills. Stay warm my fiat loving friends. :laughing7:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I disagree. CRHrs will not necessarily be ahead but rather PM hoarders. I've been amazed to see many CRHrs sell off their finds for worthless paper. When I started this hobby a long time ago I realized that CRH consists of three types of individual.

1) Someone like me who started the hobby looking to trade their counterfeit debt backed promissory notes for real money (@ face value).

2) Avid coin collectors who see the numismatic value of each find and love the rich history and diversity of their collection.

3) Those who are motivated by the accumulation of fiat and see CRH as a way of paying some bills.

I personally have never understood group 3. When you get involved in CRH, I would assume that there would be some concept of real value. You cull the AG and dump the clad. Have they ever asked themselves why they do that? Because when you sell your AG, you're really actually dumping it for clad. :icon_scratch:

And before anyone says they only sell to increase their bank roll, I must say you take a big gamble. Selling your AG for paper in hopes of obtaining even more AG? This is an ever shrinking venture with less and less to be culled and by more and more people. When they stop minting halves, they will become what Ikes are now. Very far and in between and removed from the bank's ordering forms. When you truly understand the state of our monetary system, it wont be long until it comes crashing down. The goal should not be to FIND more AG, the goal should be to HAVE more AG.

You will want a good amount of real money during an economic collapse. Social collapse is another matter. During an economic collapse, wealth is not destroyed. Its only transferred. The ones owning physical assets such as PMs will be on the receiving end of that transfer of wealth. The middle class will be obliterated and we will be left with the masses living in poverty with a few super rich elite holding the physical assets. I refuse to live in poverty when that time comes. Don't hate the wealthy, become one of them by being smart and preparing. 8-)

If I still have failed to show group number 3 the light, I think they should at least exchange the paper notes for clad coin. This way they still keep some of the CuNi value... I believe that if you've bought into the deception that paper bills actually hold value, it would be a lot wiser to CRH only for the paper rolls. This would be very lucrative for you. Not only are they free, come included with every roll of these awful metal disks known as coin, and they weigh close to nothing! But wait, the best part yet is that they even burn a whole lot better than dollar bills. Stay warm my fiat loving friends. :laughing7:

I am group three .
Only flaw in your rant is the "worthless paper " is how we pay to keep warm, eat and sleep.
So while I'm waiting like yourself for the paper to be worthless. As of right now my oil company won't accept 200 90%ers for some fuel in my tank

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am group three . Only flaw in your rant is the "worthless paper " is how we pay to keep warm, eat and sleep. So while I'm waiting like yourself for the paper to be worthless. As of right now my oil company won't accept 200 90%ers for some fuel in my tank

Lol

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 1, and I want to become 2 as well. The more coin of value I can find, whether it is precious metal or numismatic, the better off I will be.

I believe that if you've bought into the deception that paper bills actually hold value, it would be a lot wiser to CRH only for the paper rolls. This would be very lucrative for you. Not only are they free, come included with every roll of these awful metal disks known as coin, and they weigh close to nothing! But wait, the best part yet is that they even burn a whole lot better than dollar bills. Stay warm my fiat loving friends. :laughing7:

I use all of my paper rolls and boxes for my outdoor wood furnace. Winters are brutal and heat isn't free, but I can make it cheaper!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoarding silver now is one of the smartest financial decisions a person can make today. The current high artificial value of the USD will not last much longer and as it continues to depreciate, gold and silver prices will once again return to all time high prices and beyond. Patience is a virtue that for those of us who understand and appreciate sound money will also be a very sweet financial reward. And my boxes sure seemed to have dried up lately too. Hopefully there's better boxes ahead next month. H$H!

I disagree with some of this. The recent silver highs were just as artificial as the value of US dollar (which actually isn't high - trying going to the UK and see how much your dollars get you!) - that's why we saw such a big correction in silver prices. And it may not stop at $20/oz. No one knows where it could go. We could see $5/oz or $50/oz next year.

I think if you really wanna see a nice profit, you should sell your silver, not keep it. Sell your finds and increase your bankroll. Then search more and find more. Then repeat. If you are worried about the stability of the dollar, then buy something with your $ that is "safer" (like mutual funds or real estate or rare coins - I know what you are thinking - but historically they are less volatile). And if you are he'll bent on PMs, you can always buy back into the market.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I disagree with some of this. The recent silver highs were just as artificial as the value of US dollar (which actually isn't high - trying going to the UK and see how much your dollars get you!) - that's why we saw such a big correction in silver prices. And it may not stop at $20/oz. No one knows where it could go. We could see $5/oz or $50/oz next year.

I think if you really wanna see a nice profit, you should sell your silver, not keep it. Sell your finds and increase your bankroll. Then search more and find more. Then repeat. If you are worried about the stability of the dollar, then buy something with your $ that is "safer" (like mutual funds or real estate or rare coins - I know what you are thinking - but historically they are less volatile). And if you are he'll bent on PMs, you can always buy back into the market.

Yup exactly

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going on 4 years now and still have not sold one ounce. My creditors do no take 90% either, but they can gladly have the paper I make all week at my regular job for their serivces.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason PM prices are so low today and haven't continued to go higher beyond the records highs of a few years ago is because of central bank manipulation of interest rates and the money supply. Central banks will not be able to keep this fiat money con going much longer. Eventually the world's monetary system will get so artificially distorted and the free market (what's left of it) will make the necessary corrections of restoring some sense of sound money in the world economy.

I have no plans on selling any on my silver anytime soon. Selling some silver now with the idea of just buying it back at a later date is a very risky strategy of market timing that will most likely be a losing strategy. The reason for owning silver and other PM's is to avoid risk because it is a very safe and sound financial strategy. Owning USD's and USD denominated assets is an increasingly risky financial strategy as people will soon realize. People are so collectivist by nature and think that the USD must have value just because other people still think it does. But eventually the economic reality of this absurd fiat Ponzi scheme and Keynesian nonsense will be so undeniably obvious to more and more people and there's going to be a stampede to sell the USD and buy hard assets and real money. But by that time for most people it will be just too late. But for those of us who are already prepared for the inevitable, we will be the ones who profit from other peoples economic ignorance and compliancy.

H$H!

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely support the notion that the U.S. dollar will be worthless in a couple years and hoarding silver is the smartest idea in the world. The reason I am so thoroughly behind this is because it increases the profits I reap when I sell my finds. I fall into group 3 above. I have no interest in arguing about hoarding silver to barter for chickens in the future anymore. I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For a while, I wanted to argue and help everyone see the fault in their logic. Now I'm at the point where I keep selling my finds and actually feel bad about it. Not because I think I'm better off saving the silver, but instead because I feel bad for the people I am selling to. I really think people that are stacking silver waiting for the devaluation of our currency have a sickness not unlike drug addiciton, gambling addiction, etc. This has been reinforced by the people I have met while selling silver recently. They have ranged from people that literally had shaking hands as I passed them the silver like they were getting a fix to people that related stories of sinking close to a million dollars into bullion at $50/ounce silver while driving a car from the mid-80's with no air conditioning. You guys have your opinions I have mine, but it seems to me like the people that are planning for the dire future are doing so as a way to escape and not face their dire present.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the USD does tank, would that make the Canadian dollar worth more? If so, I'm hanging on to the few $100's I have in Canadian coins. Plus I'm not sure what group I fall under.

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I gotta say is WOW. Economics version 2014. Very good comments pro and con.
And the good thing is we all get to share in the hunt for the elusive. Ag.

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
I am group three .
Only flaw in your rant is the "worthless paper " is how we pay to keep warm, eat and sleep.
So while I'm waiting like yourself for the paper to be worthless. As of right now my oil company won't accept 200 90%ers for some fuel in my tank

I never said paper money doesn't have its place but I will always reinforce my stance that it's worthless. I would be a fool to think that I dont need paper money to pay my bills and provide for my day to day living expenses. As long as thats what the country uses for commerce, so will I. That being said, my point and belief has always found it foolish to sell my AG for paper money. I own three businesses that earn my paper for me.

I personally have no interest in hoarding paper. I use paper when paper is needed but keep silver to protect and grow my wealth. This isnt only my opinion but the way of life for thousands of years. Fiat currencies have come and gone repeatedly. No fiat currency in the history of the world has survived. What makes the dollar any different? Expecially when the dollar is following the same mistakes as every other failed fiat currency but on an exponential level.

Im not asking anyone to believe in some far fetched AG fairytale. Only to look at history. A history of economics that has been unwavering for thousands of years. Nothing has ever changed. Its always the same and every ending of a fiat currency identical to the last.

I wish I could simply put my trust into paper dollars. I really do. Its such an easy thing to do when everyone around you does but I know too much already. I've spent way to much time delving into world economics and the rich history surrounding the rise and fall of nations and economies. I cant just throw all of that away with a blind hope that after thousands of years we've suddenly magically created the first eternal and everlasting fiat currency. It simply does not and cannot exist. I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue the date and time of the dollar's collapse. What I do know is that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Every failed fiat currency had it's devout and faithful followers. People only focused on the Here and the Now rather than looking at the bigger picture. I wouldn't expect any different with our current fiat currency either. To everyone their own. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the last couple yearrs ive probably sold over 1000 40% halves... To consolidate to 90% :)

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I never said paper money doesn't have its place but I will always reinforce my stance that it's worthless. I would be a fool to think that I dont need paper money to pay my bills and provide for my day to day living expenses. As long as thats what the country uses for commerce, so will I. That being said, my point and belief has always found it foolish to sell my AG for paper money. I own three businesses that earn my paper for me.

I personally have no interest in hoarding paper. I use paper when paper is needed but keep silver to protect and grow my wealth. This isnt only my opinion but the way of life for thousands of years. Fiat currencies have come and gone repeatedly. No fiat currency in the history of the world has survived. What makes the dollar any different? Expecially when the dollar is following the same mistakes as every other failed fiat currency but on an exponential level.

Im not asking anyone to believe in some far fetched AG fairytale. Only to look at history. A history of economics that has been unwavering for thousands of years. Nothing has ever changed. Its always the same and every ending of a fiat currency identical to the last.

I wish I could simply put my trust into paper dollars. I really do. Its such an easy thing to do when everyone around you does but I know too much already. I've spent way to much time delving into world economics and the rich history surrounding the rise and fall of nations and economies. I cant just throw all of that away with a blind hope that after thousands of years we've suddenly magically created the first eternal and everlasting fiat currency. It simply does not and cannot exist. I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue the date and time of the dollar's collapse. What I do know is that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Every failed fiat currency had it's devout and faithful followers. People only focused on the Here and the Now rather than looking at the bigger picture. I wouldn't expect any different with our current fiat currency either. To everyone their own. :icon_thumleft:

I'm sure if you spoke with the many of Americans who bought large amounts of silver in the late 70 to early 80s they would disagree heavly. Within a few years of hitting all time highs based on speculation of a fiancal callapse the price per ounce as well know plummeted.
So if you where someone like my grandfather who had thousands in silver in 1980, only for my grandmother to sell it in the early 2000s at $5 an ounce.
Hoarding silver the way you discribe is no different then everyone who built bomb shelters in the 60s. Although the fiancal callapse is on it's way. Your thousands of silver will do little to ease the transition.
If your that concerned I'd suggest hoarding weapons and ammo and canned goods.
It's prob all for not anyways since a relative will most likely be selling your hoard for pennies 75 years from now when we are all long gone and sikver is 4.00 an ounce again

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure if you spoke with the many of Americans who bought large amounts of silver in the late 70 to early 80s they would disagree heavly. Within a few years of hitting all time highs based on speculation of a fiancal callapse the price per ounce as well know plummeted.
So if you where someone like my grandfather who had thousands in silver in 1980, only for my grandmother to sell it in the early 2000s at $5 an ounce.
Hoarding silver the way you discribe is no different then everyone who built bomb shelters in the 60s. Although the fiancal callapse is on it's way. Your thousands of silver will do little to ease the transition.
If your that concerned I'd suggest hoarding weapons and ammo and canned goods.
It's prob all for not anyways since a relative will most likely be selling your hoard for pennies 75 years from now when we are all long gone and sikver is 4.00 an ounce again

I'm sorry but you've just not done your research. All I see are a lot of whats ifs and badly timed "buyins" to justify your reasoning. Your example is a great one for why trying to buy-in is such a gamble which has already been discussed in previous posts. I can easily say that those who bought silver in the early 70s and sold in early 2011 made off with the best investment in history. You see why that is all unbased and not a valid rebuttal? The point is you think silver is only valuable if it's got a high dollar amount attached to it. Thats the classic thinking of someone who does not understand what AU and AG are. They ARE the value. During the collapse of the Zimbabwe fiat currency some years ago, I wouldn't have sold my AG for trillions of their dollars. It does not matter at what price you could sell PMs the paper currency in question is worthless. Your flawed assumption is that AG is what has been changing value when it's only the dollar (aka fiat) that has been changing. 1oz of AG is always 1oz of AG. There is a reason why its so easy to sell your AG.

During every economic collapse (not social collapse) throughout history there has always been one thing that has consistently preserved wealth. Hmmm I wonder what it could be? :tongue3:

Also regarding hoarding ammo, food etc. As i mentioned in my first post, I'm talking about a financial collapse. Not social collapse. There is a very big difference.

You can speculate about AG being worth only pennies (I prefer the term cents) 75 years from now based on nothing but your opinion or you can look at the the history of the dollar and realize that any sort of investment you've made in the Dollar has been a complete loss. It's actually the Dollar that is now worth mere "pennies" than what it was years ago. AG is a much better inheritance to leave for my posterity 75 years from now. History and economics are not wrong.

image.jpg

Last edited:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I never said paper money doesn't have its place but I will always reinforce my stance that it's worthless. I would be a fool to think that I dont need paper money to pay my bills and provide for my day to day living expenses. As long as thats what the country uses for commerce, so will I.

Paper money can't be worthless and at the same time convenient to pay bills and cover living expenses.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
If the USD does tank, would that make the Canadian dollar worth more? If so, I'm hanging on to the few $100's I have in Canadian coins. Plus I'm not sure what group I fall under.

The US and Canadian economies are very tightly linked (The US economy is 10x that of Canada) and thus a crash in the US will lead to a crash in Canada.
There can and has been fluctuations in the exchange rate of Canadian and US dollars but don't expect one to tank and the other to survive

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions