All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it sees to be in the shavings, and the hole and filed spot.... but almost like a light hue if you know what i mean. i saved the shavings and i did file in a good ways to check for plating

I am not a pro, but the reason I asked about the shavings is because I was making my wedding band a few weeks about out of a '64 half and when I drilled out the center I notice that some of the shavings appeared to look yellow. Maybe the lighting I don't know. But I know for sure the '64 I was using was 100% real.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this sucks, i REFUSE to drill a hole through the 2 real morgans i brought with me to work... i wish i brought a 90% half with me damn

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a pro, but the reason I asked about the shavings is because I was making my wedding band a few weeks about out of a '64 half and when I drilled out the center I notice that some of the shavings appeared to look yellow. Maybe the lighting I don't know. But I know for sure the '64 I was using was 100% real.

well that changes things.... i took it outside and it was as noticeable.. the hole any way, i didnt take out the shavings.. i do not understand a fake silver dollar ( mm aside, seeing as how he didnt mention them in their, and i didnt pay any more for those one in particular.. ) made from real silver??

further testing requiered

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you have taken the coins to a Professional for an expert opinion on them, please let us know the outcome.

Frank
il only let you know the outcome if you tell me where you caught them fish

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
il only let you know the outcome if you tell me where you caught them fish

LOL!! I caught them on Cherokee Lake here in East Tennessee. I was out with a friend and I caught three Hybrid Bass, he caught two and we put two back. He went out for awhile before I arrived and also caught two but put them back. We were going after Striped Bass but the three Hybrids we kept were keepers.

Frank

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!! I caught them on Cherokee Lake here in East Tennessee. I was out with a friend and I caught three Hybrid Bass, he caught two and we put two back. He went out for awhile before I arrived and also caught two but put them back. We were going after Striped Bass but the three Hybrids we kept were keepers.

Frank
sounds like a good day, but then again, a bad day fishing beats a good day at work everytime.. as soon as i know more guys il let you know, i forwarded this to the coins forums to see if i can stir up some more interest

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all years and MMs check out at least...

although everything would seem to want to point to fake, they are really good

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a LCS near you that you can take them to tomorrow? And did you get a phone # and/or email address from the seller and does the seller still have the CL ad posted?

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am far from an expert but the reeding doesn't look right to me. Maybe you can post a good photo of the edge and some of the experts here can chime in.
The first thing that sent up a red flag to me was the grime looked all the same on the coins.
I also run an add and buy coins on craigslist. When I'm offered multiple Morgans they each have there own distinct look for the most part. Some shinny, some dull. Some worn, some not so much.
Yours have an unusually consistent look.
I do the weight, size and magnet test. I also balance them on my finger and tap the edge with a coin to hear the ring.
I always bring my own Morgan to compare the sound to.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a LCS near you that you can take them to tomorrow? And did you get a phone # and/or email address from the seller and does the seller still have the CL ad posted?

ive got one sitting at a pawn shop waiting on the expert.. and he called me, ive already tried texting him back

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would post a pic of a FAKE I got a few months ago.... 009.JPG 011.JPG 001.JPG 005.JPG You can see the brass under the coating..I think the sound of it will tell it all....

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would post a pic of a FAKE I got a few months ago.... View attachment 1032826 View attachment 1032827 View attachment 1032828 View attachment 1032825 You can see the brass under the coating..I think the sound of it will tell it all....

did those weigh up? the ping on these is not consistent with other morgans, and is the only thing really is off to me, I wish I would of remembered my morgan when I went, because these things do ping, just not the same

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the weight was good...The sound was a heavy dense thud not much of a ping at all...The 1881 is the fake in my pic, I tried to show the edge to see the reeding is totally different it has very shallow thin lines...I rubbed the eagle with some super fine sandpaper you can see the color of brass on the upper part of the eagle and in god we trust - I also filed the edges..The consistent color of your coins is a bit unusual.... * If you do not feel good about the sound of them * try calling the person back from another number and set up another meeting....

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the weight was good...The sound was a heavy dense thud not much of a ping at all...The 1881 is the fake in my pic, I tried to show the edge to see the reeding is totally different it has very shallow thin lines...I rubbed the eagle with some super fine sandpaper you can see the color of brass on the upper part of the eagle and in god we trust - I also filed the edges..The consistent color of your coins is a bit unusual.... * If you do not feel good about the sound of them * try calling the person back from another number and set up another meeting....

did you have the diameter checked? from what i know about weights, if its a different metal that it should be same weight and size

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any word from your expert yet??

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any word from your expert yet??
No.. did expect anything over the weekend but thought for sure id hear from him today... I've pretty much concluded that i got some real good fakes

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kick yourself in the $$... Butt You have HELPED educate alot of people now - If you are sure they are fake...I feel for you and it $uck$...Sure wish you could get the sellers on this.... BillT

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread