Good Deal for morgans?

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i have a response to a craigslist ad to buy coins, and after negotiations I'm looking at 50 mixxed date morgons in ok condition for 19$ each, assuming they are real would you buy them? I'm think of re selling them on ebay. . I've sold morgans on ebay for like 32$ +shipping. on average, so after fees its like 28-29$ a morgan...
any thoughts?

Upvote 0

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should check them out before you buy (weigh, look for any signs of a fake, etc) if it all checks out I would buy them

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
If legit and in decent shape, you can't go wrong. Make sure you meet in a public place.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks i plan on checking them out first.. and i.always bring back up

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks i plan on checking them out first.. and i.always bring back up

There have been too many reports of Craigslist scams for precious metals over the last few months to not have back-up, and to not test the coins - several. 50 of them? You're risking $2 grand... a nice day's work for a thief....

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been too many reports of Craigslist scams for precious metals over the last few months to not have back-up, and to not test the coins - several. 50 of them? You're risking $2 grand... a nice day's work for a thief....
Its 950$, 50 coins at 19$ each but trust me I'm covering my fourth point of contact

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want Morgans, you likely won't beat that price. So long as they are real, you aren't going to get hurt at that price unless silver really tanks.

From a quick glance on eBay, "junk" Morgans are currently selling in the range of $23-$28 shipped.

While it would be a good buy, there isn't a lot of immediate profit there unless there are some better dates/condition coins in the lot.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUY EM ALL (the famous crh motto)as long as theyre legit

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Like others have stated, as long as they are the real thing and in decent shape (at least better than culls or AG's) then that sure sounds like a good deal. :coins:

Just be careful and good luck!

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd buy them at that price. Anytime I can find them under 20 its a go for me.

Like others have said, weigh them, bring a magnet, do a ping test.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I bought two last week ('92 and '99-O) in reasonable shape for $23 each and thought I got a steal. I'd buy average Morgan's for $19 as often as possible.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, its almost impossible for me to find them up here for under about 23.

Last ones I bought I got at a pawn store for 18 dollars and everytime I have been back there since I cant seem to get them down below that 23 25 range.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hopefully buying them tomorrow morning, he said he has over 100, but I'm npt bringing that kind of cash on a first date... il post pictures as soon as i can guys

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So real quick, looks like the guys girlfriends grandfather left her a bunch of coins..... plan on getting more... need to get them checked out but put of 60 morgans i have 4 1889 cc!!!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So real quick, looks like the guys girlfriends grandfather left her a bunch of coins..... plan on getting more... need to get them checked out but put of 60 morgans i have 4 1889 cc!!!

I paid $1100 for my '89cc. Pretty sure you can't buy real ones for $19. I hope he has a return policy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread