New best roll, best day ever, odd timing

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Last July I went out west for ~3 weeks on vacation and CRH'd my way around the left coast. Found my first solid roll on Canada Day (July 1) which had 8 90%ers, 11 40% and an 80% Canadian half. On July 22nd I found a roll that had 5 Walkers, 5 '64-D's and 6 40%'ers. Well I went out west for a week to go on a cruise. Because we're cruising I had no time to CRH, or did I? We weren't leaving for the boat until 10am which meant I had exactly 1 hour to hunt, search and dump. No problem. The first bank I went to had $220 in rolls, 19 $10 CWR rolls, a $20 CWR shotgun roll, and a $10 OBW MWR. When she lays them out on the counter they look 'good', for whatever that's worth. I glance at the shotgun roll because they're somewhat unusual and I see something on it I've never seen in a bank before. Written in pen on it is the word 'Silver'. This could be good. Oh and by the way they have 4 CWR's of IKE's if I want those too? I pay the $300 or whatever and head out to the car. I check the ends of the shotgun roll and sure enough, both ends have 40%ers showing. I dump the roll out and...... it had 34 40%ers in it and 6 clad halves. Not solid, but it's really hard to find 34 silver halves in a roll. That may be a record I never beat. Another of the $10 rolls had 17 silvers in it, another had 13. Totaled just over 70 silver halves in the score. The IKE's where skunks, nothing at all. Stopped at three other banks, got silver from all 3 in CWR's, found 78 40%ers and 3 '64's. Dumped the clad and was home by 10am. An easy hour of hunting.

When I got to putting the finds in to numbers into my spreadsheet I realized that it was 1 year to the day from my 5 Walker, 5 90%er, 6 40%er roll which was odd. 81 total silvers was my best single day ever beating a couple of days in the 50's. Was also the most silvers in a roll and the most total silver in a roll for me.

Went to Alaska and CRH'd a bit but struck out. AK, TX, ME are now the only states that I've CRH'd in and not found silver.

I also bought a ~VF '92 Morgan and a ~F '99-O Morgan for $46. Pretty pleased with the buy.

Here's a pic of the Shotgun roll.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That was sure some great hunting and yes I'd sure say finding 34 silver halves in one roll will sure be hard to beat lol. Coingrats on all the great finds! :thumbsup:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Last July I went out west for ~3 weeks on vacation and CRH'd my way around the left coast. Found my first solid roll on Canada Day (July 1) which had 8 90%ers, 11 40% and an 80% Canadian half. On July 22nd I found a roll that had 5 Walkers, 5 '64-D's and 6 40%'ers. Well I went out west for a week to go on a cruise. Because we're cruising I had no time to CRH, or did I? We weren't leaving for the boat until 10am which meant I had exactly 1 hour to hunt, search and dump. No problem. The first bank I went to had $220 in rolls, 19 $10 CWR rolls, a $20 CWR shotgun roll, and a $10 OBW MWR. When she lays them out on the counter they look 'good', for whatever that's worth. I glance at the shotgun roll because they're somewhat unusual and I see something on it I've never seen in a bank before. Written in pen on it is the word 'Silver'. This could be good. Oh and by the way they have 4 CWR's of IKE's if I want those too? I pay the $300 or whatever and head out to the car. I check the ends of the shotgun roll and sure enough, both ends have 40%ers showing. I dump the roll out and...... it had 34 40%ers in it and 6 clad halves. Not solid, but it's really hard to find 34 silver halves in a roll. That may be a record I never beat. Another of the $10 rolls had 17 silvers in it, another had 13. Totaled just over 70 silver halves in the score. The IKE's where skunks, nothing at all. Stopped at three other banks, got silver from all 3 in CWR's, found 78 40%ers and 3 '64's. Dumped the clad and was home by 10am. An easy hour of hunting.

When I got to putting the finds in to numbers into my spreadsheet I realized that it was 1 year to the day from my 5 Walker, 5 90%er, 6 40%er roll which was odd. 81 total silvers was my best single day ever beating a couple of days in the 50's. Was also the most silvers in a roll and the most total silver in a roll for me.

Went to Alaska and CRH'd a bit but struck out. AK, TX, ME are now the only states that I've CRH'd in and not found silver.

I also bought a ~VF '92 Morgan and a ~F '99-O Morgan for $46. Pretty pleased with the buy.

Nice finds! And on a vacation too! :)

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for a $20 roll myself
Congrats on an awesome hunt

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you fellow west coast crh'ers, are we going to let these greedy eastern hunters take our silver and just sit back and not respond? I say we go east and get their silver! We'll teach them a lesson! They'll be sorry they took our silver and rubbed our noses in it about how "easy" it was and "just an hour" and all that stuff. After all, most of it is mined out here. Come on, let's go!! Who's with me!

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! I would love to score a $20 MWR of halves, even if it had no silver in it, it would be a neat little score. Thanks for sharing your finds with us!

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I have never gotten a $20 roll just $10 rolls.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:occasion14: Congrats on your finds both years on 7/22. Try & make it a trifecta next year (lol). Were any of the 40%s 1970? I take it that the shotgun roll was a cwr, it doesn't look mwr. Either way that was 1 h**l of a roll. I've only found 1 shotgun roll over the years & it was a cwr full of clad.
HH
Gary

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great West Coast finds! I agree silver halves in AK are more rare than hen's teeth.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
All you fellow west coast crh'ers, are we going to let these greedy eastern hunters take our silver and just sit back and not respond? I say we go east and get their silver! We'll teach them a lesson! They'll be sorry they took our silver and rubbed our noses in it about how "easy" it was and "just an hour" and all that stuff. After all, most of it is mined out here. Come on, let's go!! Who's with me!

Yeah, it was actually a little embarrassing. Being from the west coast I expect more out of you all. Actually, what I found hilarious was that I was at this bank once before last year and I actually ran into a CRH'er there. I guess he gave up.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
That is awesome! And FYI there is silver in ME haha

I figured there was, but unfortunately I left it all for you. I was up there once for a job interview and only had time to hunt on the trip back to the airport. Was in some smaller towns so thought maybe I'd get lucky but it wasn't to be.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone.

Didn't find any 1970's, sad to say. Have only found 2 in my life, 1 D and 1 S, from two different bags.

I always like finding the $20 rolls. Somewhere out where I asked a branch for wrappers so I could dump and they actually gave me a big 'ole stack of $20 shotgun empties.

I would have needed a miracle to find a silver half in Alaska. I was hunting the one bank in Skagway and felt somewhat fortunate to walkaway with a single clad half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread