Personal best yesterday

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set a personal best of sorts yesterday. I went to dump at one of my usual dump banks. They have a coin counter and I dumped a record number of half dollars for one branch and stop. I dumped a total of $8,000 in halves at this one branch in a little less than 20 minutes. They did not mind in the least and it was super convenient to only have to make one stop for dumping yesterday. Sorry that this isn't as cool as a rare find but I thought it was interesting.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL you must have very patient banks near you...I limit mine to a grand.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of halves for one stop! Sounds like u have a good setup there. Hope it lasts.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set a personal best of sorts yesterday. I went to dump at one of my usual dump banks. They have a coin counter and I dumped a record number of half dollars for one branch and stop. I dumped a total of $8,000 in halves at this one branch in a little less than 20 minutes. They did not mind in the least and it was super convenient to only have to make one stop for dumping yesterday. Sorry that this isn't as cool as a rare find but I thought it was interesting.

:coffee2: That was a lot of coins to get rid of in such a short period of time. I've never heard of a machine able to take & count that many coins (16,000) in such a short period of time. Also they didn't mind you doing that. I take it was a bank you have a account with. Anyway it makes the rest of us jealous.
HH
Gary

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a big order on tap in two weeks, this will be the same size of my dump as well, also a personal record for me, hopefully the credit union doesn't throw a fit! Congrats and good luck.

HH

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Just so you know I've been going to this bank for a year and a half. They are really cool in there. They also have the best coin counter around. They did have to change the bin but only once. I normally do $4k per branch so no one has to service the machine but this time the tellers and manager insisted I bring them all in. I bought them all lunch to show my appreciation.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a big order on tap in two weeks, this will be the same size of my dump as well, also a personal record for me, hopefully the credit union doesn't throw a fit! Congrats and good luck.

HH
Good luck. Just make sure you know what you are doing. I don't advocate excess dumping because it can lead to you and other hunters getting cut off. I wouldn't have entertained the idea of doing this except that I am in a very unique situation with this bank. Ie the counters require very little work from the tellers.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. Just make sure you know what you are doing. I don't advocate excess dumping because it can lead to you and other hunters getting cut off. I wouldn't have entertained the idea of doing this except that I am in a very unique situation with this bank. Ie the counters require very little work from the tellers.

I have talked with the tellers and the loss prevention people at this particular bank many times in the past about large dumps. As long as I let them know I'm coming in, it's never a problem, plus they know I only use their bank maybe 4-5 times a year for large quantities.

How much silver did you find out of all those coins???

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome bank!!! treat them well and hopefully they will do the same in return :)

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked with the tellers and the loss prevention people at this particular bank many times in the past about large dumps. As long as I let them know I'm coming in, it's never a problem, plus they know I only use their bank maybe 4-5 times a year for large quantities.

How much silver did you find out of all those coins???

The results were actually pretty decent. 67 silvers (including 5 franklins and 10 '64's)

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The results were actually pretty decent. 67 silvers (including 5 franklins and 10 '64's)

That's awesome, I hope my 16 boxes are that good.

HH

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Yeah, that's a big pile! I once had the same set-up and they didn't mind the volume at all - until they did....
Won't take but one number crunching back room staffer to go- "hey- we just shipped out ___$ in halves and it cost US $____. Then the sticky note...
Enjoy while it last...

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to dump 8K of halves per week, in bags, at one branch, even more if I wanted, with open arms. And I enjoyed that for over a year.
Then the nice lady that set it all up retired and the young new guy that replaced her would have nothing to do with it, his first action, to cut me off completely.
Just saying. Anything can happen. Be careful, and do not, "not realize what you have till it's gone"

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's a big pile! I once had the same set-up and they didn't mind the volume at all - until they did....
Won't take but one number crunching back room staffer to go- "hey- we just shipped out ___$ in halves and it cost US $____. Then the sticky note...
Enjoy while it last...

I'll be the first to agree that anything is possible. I'm pretty sure I'm ok though. Right now every one of this bank chain's managers know about me and what I do and the volume. Their corporate level leaders are also aware of it. I've been doing it for over a year and they continually tell me that no one cares and no one will care. One of the things that makes it unlikely that I will get cut off is that you don't need an account to dump there. The other thing that makes it unlikely is the way they have the coin counter servicing set up. It doesn't cost them an extra cent to ship out my coins. I won't go into details about how I know that, but it is 100% true.

But still, I totally agree that any of that can change at any time, so I will just keep enjoying it if/until it stops. I live in a pretty good area for coin counters anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to go somewhere else. The thing that is best about this bank is their hours. They have the most awesome hours of any bank on the planet. Their hours make TD bank hours look horrible.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to dump 8K of halves per week, in bags, at one branch, even more if I wanted, with open arms. And I enjoyed that for over a year.
Then the nice lady that set it all up retired and the young new guy that replaced her would have nothing to do with it, his first action, to cut me off completely.
Just saying. Anything can happen. Be careful, and do not, "not realize what you have till it's gone"

As I said in the other reply, I will bet he first to admit that anything is possible. I feel very lucky to have the setup that I do and I do not take it for granted. One person retiring could not stop my setup with this bank because I can and do dump this volume at all of their branches. And there really isn't anything to be careful about since they don't even know my name, contact info, etc. They also do not look at it as a burden because the tellers very rarely have to do anything to the counter in connection with my visits.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one lucky son of a *****, man, what most of us CRHers wouldn't give to have a set-up like that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread