Darn Tellers

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I don't know how often this happens to everyone else, but it seems to happen to me a lot.

So I walk into a bank I have an account with to make a withdraw. Before the teller opens her drawer I ask if she or any other tellers have any halves. She proceeds to show me $2.00 worth (clad) she has in her tray and says, "..this is all we have." Then I ask, "what about the other teller over there?" Other teller hears me and shakes her head. THEN the teller helping me asks, "how many were you looking for?" I tell her, "a $100s worth."

She then asks the other teller, "OH, don't we have a $100 bag of halves off the coin machine??" "Why, yes we do." she replys.

Then she opens the safe and sells me the $100 bag of halves. (Which I scored a 40%er, and 1964 and a 2011 SILVER PROOF!!)

Long story short, it seems I always ask for halves and if they have some, get jacked around before finally getting them. Do they really forget they have them?? If I wasn't persistent and just walked out when they say "no we don't" or "this is all we have", I would have missed out on lots of silver that is now in my possession.

Sorry for the rant, just part of being a CRHer I suppose.

Good luck to all

HH

Upvote 0

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your ranting because you had to ask a few times.....just be happy they had halves, and that you found some keepers!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice finds, esp from just $100. I know what you mean though. Sometimes you have to be kinda persistent to make sure you're getting the full truth about how many halves they actually have. And often times it seems like communication in general with tellers about coinage is much more difficult than it should be.

It's almost impossible sometimes trying to get tellers to understand what I mean when I ask for any cwr/hand wrapped roll coins. Just recently I was asking a teller if she had any cwr/hand wrapped roll coins brought in by customers and after a minute or two of digging around she proceeds to give me a stack of mixed denomination empty coin wrappers. And she spoke fluent English so it wasn't a language barrier problem, just a coinage communication problem. And that has happened to me several times at other banks in the past too. That's why often times when I get nickels I'll ask for $40 or $50 or so at a time instead of a whole box - that way I might get some cwr's and it's much easier than trying to ask for them specifically.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To tellers that haven't had the pleasure of dealing with CRHers, someone taking $100+ in halves seems unfathomable. Always ask if they have any stashed in the vault, and if they do and they go to the trouble of retrieving them, ALWAYS buy them all (even if they're re-wraps).

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your ranting because you had to ask a few times.....just be happy they had halves, and that you found some keepers!

This is very true !! Haha.

HH

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No revelation for most on TNet here I'm sure, but I've been doing better with tellers since asking if they had any halves they "want to get rid of". Most tellers seem to find them an inconvenience and are glad to get them out of their trays, and I've had some tellers save them just for me because they know I will come in and take them off their hands all at once. And honestly, I do much better with tellers than I do with boxes by a long shot, though I've often wondered why... :icon_scratch:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And honestly, I do much better with tellers than I do with boxes by a long shot, though I've often wondered why... :icon_scratch:

Bad wolf, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but honeslt I had the same thought about a month ago... Then it hit me. The more i get from teller trays and cwrs, the less silver supply gets fed back to distributors like loomis and brinks.

There are so many people who have given up on boxes, but they all still do some sort of banking and still ask tellers. And the more crhunters out there the more tellers become aware and become snipers.... Sometimes I wonder how the silver even gets through. Especially when 16 of my last 17 boxes were skunks

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Zo'. Not trying to be sarcastic at all. It amazes me that so many CRHers tie up so much money with boxes of halves when they could (probably) do just as well and spend a fraction of the time just dropping in on tellers. I would be interested to hear from TimZim, though, to get his perspective...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Zo'. Not trying to be sarcastic at all. It amazes me that so many CRHers tie up so much money with boxes of halves when they could (probably) do just as well and spend a fraction of the time just dropping in on tellers. I would be interested to hear from TimZim, though, to get his perspective...

Because with cold-calling there is no guarantee of even finding halves to search. Coin-for-coin CWRs will easily outproduce MWRs. They just aren't always available. Boxes produce a consistent, steady stream of coins to search and hopefully a little silver as well.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because with cold-calling there is no guarantee of even finding halves to search. Coin-for-coin CWRs will easily outproduce MWRs. They just aren't always available. Boxes produce a consistent, steady stream of coins to search and hopefully a little silver as well.

Well said, 'BassMan. And to each their own...

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I don't know how often this happens to everyone else, but it seems to happen to me a lot.

So I walk into a bank I have an account with to make a withdraw. Before the teller opens her drawer I ask if she or any other tellers have any halves. She proceeds to show me $2.00 worth (clad) she has in her tray and says, "..this is all we have." Then I ask, "what about the other teller over there?" Other teller hears me and shakes her head. THEN the teller helping me asks, "how many were you looking for?" I tell her, "a $100s worth."

She then asks the other teller, "OH, don't we have a $100 bag of halves off the coin machine??" "Why, yes we do." she replys.

Then she opens the safe and sells me the $100 bag of halves. (Which I scored a 40%er, and 1964 and a 2011 SILVER PROOF!!)

Long story short, it seems I always ask for halves and if they have some, get jacked around before finally getting them. Do they really forget they have them?? If I wasn't persistent and just walked out when they say "no we don't" or "this is all we have", I would have missed out on lots of silver that is now in my possession.

Sorry for the rant, just part of being a CRHer I suppose.

Good luck to all

HH

:coffee2: It is the nature of the beast that you have to prod (remind) them to ask the other tellers if they have any halfs. I always ask the teller to check with the other tellers. Some of my best finds have been obtained that way. Be glad that you are able to buy bags. I can't get them around here.
HH
Gary

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This works especially well for me too. Ive been using the "want to get rid of" line lately myself.

I just used this line last week to get $20 in halves, one roll was a skunk and the other roll have 13 40's and 5 90's.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions