Any ideas on what to do (legally) with 60 really good looking fake Morgans?

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if any of you have followed my recent thread you know i got taken to the cleaners for some very good fake Morgans dollars, including some key dates. I was already givin the idea by another member who asked to purchase a couple for educational purposes, and see this as a option to recoup my loses.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I dont want just pass the buck to someone else, and if they go to something like a display at LCS or something as a reference, then it keeps these off the streets. id like to return them for my money back, probably wont happen. i could destroy them, and eat over 1K ( i have 2 babies, thats not a option)

These coins do weigh correctly but are a tiny bit wider on the rim then a normal morgan, and non magnetic.. all i tested was weight and to see if it was magnetic.. i didnt really notice they size of them rim until i stacked it on my other morgan.. and the ping is alittle off.

So if anyone knows of someone whos looking to build a counterfeit Morgan dollar collections, let me know lol, but if you have any ideas it would really
help (I dont want to sell my AG!!)

Thanks everyone,

Starkizzle

image.jpg image (3).jpg image (1).jpg image (2).jpg

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
engrave copy on them and sell them

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought fake sport cards once....only once. They sit in my basement and I look at them every now and then to remind me not to do it again. I filled out police reports, even contacted others that got ripped off.....nothing ever happened, no arrest, no getting my money back, nothing. I lost $800, but like I said, I kept them and look at them to remind me not to do it again. Sorry to hear about your problem with copies. I would fill out a police report but don't expect much from it. That couple probably bought them, found out they were fake and they sold them to the next "sucker" in line. The only way to stop it from happening again is to hold them. I like the idea about turning them into something. Good luck.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Like others have said, reporting it to the Police is probably going to be your best bet! They should in turn contact the Secret Service but if they do not, it might be best to do so on your own. There maybe a way to find this person since they contacted you either by email or phone and a record may show in Craigslist's database where the same person clicked on a link to get your information. If found, you may not get your' money back but the offender will likely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the Law. In any case, the Police and Secret Service can advise you of any options with the coins as long as they don't confiscate them and never return them to you.

I am pretty sure that you can sell the coins as fakes or counterfeits as long as you devulge this information to anyone and everyone you sell any of the coins to! If at anytime you can or do sell any of the coins, it would be best to make out sales receipts stating that the coins are fakes or counterfeits and that the Buyer understands this and signs it for your records. The Buyer may want one as well, so plan accordingly.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "ring" compared to another is really the giveaway.. and in some of the details

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could make a 'sting operation". Contact the police and tell them about the fake morgans. Then contact the guy again and offer to buy more of them. You could have the police arrest the guy where you meet him and see if you can get the money back.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Ill take one for 10$ :laughing7: But only after youve figured out what the deal is with reselling them. (No but really I wouldnt mind having one to compare a real one to if I ever manage one from a bank/dealer or something.

rbhammer

Jun 20, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Test for silver! Take it to a coin shop or do it yourself, but test for silver! If the weight is good, test for silver. Do not trust the 'ping'. Since you drilled one, use the shavings for an assay test.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test for silver! Take it to a coin shop or do it yourself, but test for silver! If the weight is good, test for silver. Do not trust the 'ping'. Since you drilled one, use the shavings for an assay test.

i have the shavings and am still going to test them... i went to the police last friday to file a report, and left after 45 minutes of sitting in a lobby for a cop who probably wasnt coming anytime soon... i checked in when i first got their, and after awhile went back up to the civilian lady up front, who told me all the cops were in the community do their job.. i guess im just a criminal or something?

ima call the sheriffs office today, got alot more respect for them anyway

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Man, Sorry to hear about this, I have a few fakes I use to compare other ones i buy, Same with mine, are the fact they weigh the same, but are thicker then norm. So its a nice tool to have.

I see alot of posts about turning into the secret service, the Police, etc. Truth is, this are sold by the millions, and the SS and Police will not be able to do anything about it but take your pieces and file them off somewhere.

What i personally think you should do, is make some sort of nice wall display piece, like a shadow box, and somewhere on teh back just have a note or explanation that they are replicas. I actaully was going to do this before, because I have always wanted to have coins on display in my house, but im scared to death to have them stolen. So i figured if some lowlife breaks in and steals it, im not really out much.

Again, sorry to hear about that. Its scary buying coins these days, I have actaully stopped buying Silver Eagles, because i hear they are being faked now.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally filed the report, he did sound hopeful about getting my money back but was gonna pull the tapes from the place it happened.. I've also contacted other people who have a similar ad on craigslist and may have found the same guy trying to get someone else... may be able to get this guy

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well its good to hear there still might be a chance of you getting your money back. The more that guy keeps selling his fake "coins", the greater the chance of him getting caught. And if he gets caught by a potential buyer who's maybe carrying and/or wants to settle the matter with some physical type of personal justice this guy could be in a lot more trouble than being caught by the law. This guy is playing a very risking dangerous con game that could quite possibly cost him his life. For your sake I hope the law catches him before something like that happens so you can hopefully get all or at least some of your money back.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its good to hear there still might be a chance of you getting your money back. The more that guy keeps selling his fake "coins", the greater the chance of him getting caught. And if he gets caught by a potential buyer who's maybe carrying and/or wants to settle the matter with some physical type of personal justice this guy could be in a lot more trouble than being caught by the law. This guy is playing a very risking dangerous con game that could quite possibly cost him his life. For your sake I hope the law catches him qqbefore something like that happens so you can hopefully get all or at least some of your money back.

Thanks SF.. the cop told there js little chance of getting my money back... but id love to catch him red handed...

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send me a pm, I would like a couple to show my coin club...john

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread