What gives?

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha, you should take up golf. To put it in perspective: I search upwards of 50 boxes a week and I dump all of that into one coin supplier. So if you were ordering from the supplier that I dump into then that would be $25,000 worth of clad every week that is getting added to your supply that you are searching. There may also be silver getting mixed in with that clad at the sorting facility, but that is a huge amount of clad that you have to sort through to get to the silver. I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you see that to be successful you need to either be extremely lucky or search a lot of volume and expect a lot of skunks to go along with the silver that you do find.
Good luck.

How do you know your pickup supplier isnt my dump supplier?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its reality my freind...My first box of $500 was nothing...My next box of $500 produced 30 90%'s 3 40%'s.......The next 10 Boxes ($5000)...NADA!!!

Good Luck man...It is about Volume...but its alot about LUCK too

OP
OP
M

Marcel

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
92 boxes! Whoa! That is epic! Lol. Well I went through another 280.00 of halves today. Nothing. Feeling much better about it after reading some of these posts. I did get some wheat in penny rolls, so that was fun. Seriously. My first day crh I did 30.00 in halves and got 4 40%. Totally warped me. I'm coming down to earth now. Haha

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone said someone on here once had a100+ box skunk streak- im glad I never hit triple digits- but ive also had an 84, a couple 50+ a few 40+
I get 10boxes a week and its likely I only find 1 40% in those 10- ya just gotta find out what your area is like and then decide if its what you want to do

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
M

Marcel

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
10 boxes a week! That sounds like a lot of fun! I need to figure out a way to increase my volume without totally pissing off my bank. We have a local chain here that has no fee coinstar machines in the lobby for people who bank there. Thinking I'm going to open a savings account there. Lol

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday did 10 boxes and found only 5 pieces, 1x90%, and 4x40%. Not worthy of my time and effort. Next week switch to dimes for a change. Just too many hunters nowadays. Back 2008 I had a batch of 4 boxes which yielded 1540 pieces!

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
92 boxes! Whoa! That is epic! Lol. Well I went through another 280.00 of halves today. Nothing. Feeling much better about it after reading some of these posts. I did get some wheat in penny rolls, so that was fun. Seriously. My first day crh I did 30.00 in halves and got 4 40%. Totally warped me. I'm coming down to earth now. Haha
Marcel, It seems that a lot of us had great beginners luck, then the finds went down the crapper fast, that's the way it was for myself and for many more I know of. Yep, it gets you hooked, but that only works out if you have what it takes, I.E. Lots of time, patients, bank accounts, a large enough bank roll and lots of Good Luck.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember reading about one of the big dime hunters here stating quite a while back that he had a 100+ long half box skunk streak before finally deciding to give up on half boxes and just focus on dimes. I cant remember his name for sure now but he used to post here regularly when I joined. And I thought someone else posted recently about having a 100+ box skunk streak just this year before deciding the same thing but Im not certain. I doubt I could make it half that far with skunk boxes before losing the thrill to hunt.

In fact when I had my longest skunk streak ever in March - April 2012 of just under 30 boxes I believe, that was enough for me and I stopped ordering boxes for several months after that. I had my longest skunk streak of this year in March - April too but it was only around 15-18 boxes or so which I know is nothing compared to what some of you experience. We've all got our own tolerance level for skunk boxes and everyone has to decide for themselves just how much is too much.

Good luck and H$H!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We don't. Everyone is searching everyone else's dumps. It's a fact of life. You can tell by all the marked halves you get no matter what supplier.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't. Everyone is searching everyone else's dumps. It's a fact of life. You can tell by all the marked halves you get no matter what supplier.

that was my point.

I basically live in what most would call the middle of nowhere. Thought I had it figured out. Pick up at my favorite bank from a small supplier up north here and dump at my job in a bank with a totally different supplier.

Well I was getting (and still do) 1000 dollar machine bags and dont you suppose one of the bags had a tag from my dump bank. Closest branch of my dump is 180 miles away.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't and it really doesn't matter if it is. You missed the point of my post which was to help you realize that this hobby is a percentage game. You need to have an understanding that skunk streaks are the norm and the only way to up your finds is by increasing your volume. With the volume I hunt it is very unlikely that any but the largest volume hunters would have any impact on my finds.

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
I was searching halves starting in '01 and silver was every where, but then again silver was only $6-$7 an ounce. Once 2008 rolled around it dried up over night around here. I changed my strategy a bit, but I still "passively" search halves.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been through about 1000.00 in halves and no silver! I've only gotten about 6 post 2001 nifc halves. Tired of being skunked.

:coffee2: Not to beat a dead horse, but as others have all ready said the key to crh is perserverence. The more you search, the more you will find. It's basically a numbers game. For the vast majority of us on TNET this is a hobby not a business. The fun is in the "thrill of the hunt" with your finds. Wth the price of gas these days, don't expect to make a profit if that's what you are looking for. You have only done a small amount of searching so the odds are your finds will be few. Just keep at it & don't expect to find much. The dream boxes everyone talks about are far & few in between now a days. Also the area where you are in might have something to do with your finds or lack of. Some areas are more productive than others now. It seems to be that newbies (like you) have a great 1st find & than are disappointed when they don't continue. BTY welcome to TNET & this hobby/obsession/addiction.
HH
Gary

Last edited:

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone said someone on here once had a100+ box skunk streak- im glad I never hit triple digits- but ive also had an 84, a couple 50+ a few 40+
I get 10boxes a week and its likely I only find 1 40% in those 10- ya just gotta find out what your area is like and then decide if its what you want to do

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

:coffee2: The person with the 100 + skunk streak if I remember correctly was RJW in Phoenix, AZ.
HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread