Wow the marked coins...

GoldRunner

Greenie
Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I a primarily a nickel hunter who from time to time dabbles in other areas. I picked up my 6th box of half dollars for the year today. Zero, but did find 133 marked coins. For you half hunters is that a lot of marked coins or typical, i know it varies by area. i have found 8 fairly distinct marks and then a bunch of other assorted. Good grief. I know their are chr's in my area, tellers tell me so and have had re rolls. But good grief. So far this year 6 boxes halves = 0 is silver. 9 boxes of dimes = 3 silver dimes. Glad nickels are better, hope to post nickel report soon meant to at 50,000, and 100,000, now hoping 150,000.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes the half boxes I get with a lot of marked coins contain more silver than the boxes with fewer marked coins so I've gotten to the point now that I don't pay much attention to the marked coins anymore. I thought about maybe marking some coins myself earlier this year but I've still never done it myself. Sounds like you're hunting a lot of nickels. Look forward to seeing your nickel report soon.

HH!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far this year 6 boxes halves = 0 is silver. 9 boxes of dimes = 3 silver dimes.

Those dimes are below avg I'd say but the halves I wouldnt say thats out.of the norm

As for marked coins go- I dont even noticed anymkre unkess theres a new mark I havent seen before- but id say 1/4-1/3 of all my boxes have some sort of mark

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
G

GoldRunner

Greenie
Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured the halves are what they are find wise, was not sure about the marked coins though. My dimes have been crap, especially when 2 of 3 came from one roll in one box. Trying to start running a little more variety these days.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last $1,000 in halves from my home state had coins with 10 different marks from CRH-ers. I found zero silver and zero NIFC, which matches the last $10,000 in halves I looked thru from my home state. When I travel outside my home state I look thru half boxes. My last $6,000 in "outside" halves from one state had marks from only 3 CRH-ers. I found 7 silvers and about a roll of NIFC. The trip before that one in a different state I looked thru $5,000 in halves and found only 2 marks from CRH-ers. I found 10 silvers and about 3 rolls of NIFC...Remarkable how the CRH-ing population varies from state to state. No matter the state, based on my experience looking thru half boxes for silver does not pay! I only do it b/c I enjoy the (infrequent) rush of finding a silver coin...Apparently I am addicted to gambling.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NIFC's mean nothing in terms of silver being found. I don't keep NIFC halves, therefore I turn them in with my dumps.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say about 10% of my halves are marked, and there are probably 3-5 recurring marks with some one-offs. It doesn't seem to affect silver count unless you get a TON of the same *fresh* mark in one box (you're probably searching someone else's solid dump)

I've actually found some of the marks to be helpful. Some people mark with month/year, so I know that right now I'm searching halves that were re-rolled between ~11/13 and 2/14, meaning I haven't yet caught up with my own dumps.

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL pretty much 80% of my boxes have been marked.. Some even say.. "Yep, I have been checked" .... LOL I am not kidding!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last few MWRs that I purchased were probably 10-20% marked and contained no silver. I can remember searching through rolls almost 10 years ago and they were full of various marked coins as well, so many of those marked coins you find may have been marked 10+ years ago.

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny story... I live in L.A. and marked a few (literally a handfull) of coins. I was at Caesers in vegas and my brother in Law handed me a half and asked me if its worth anything. I immediately said no, he said how do you know you didn't even really look at it. I said its my marked coin. I go thru thousands of dollars a week and find a handful of repetitive marks. If I have time this weekend Ill break out the box I have and post the pictures of them.
I have said till I'm blue in the face that in boxes of clearly marked coins I have found silver. If your persistent you'll find it. More importantly than quantity is repitition. I have searched 10K and found nothing and then the next batch searched 8K and found 25 silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread