Not very sharp tellers!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped at one of my banks last Sat a.m., asked if they have any available bags of dimes today plus my normal 2-boxes that I normally get. I said sure, I'll take the bag today (they have a early Monday pickup), and then the 2-boxes early in the week. Normally the bag is equivalent to two boxes, she gets the bag out of the vault, and it's a DOUBLE batch. I could see that it's a $1000 written on the bag so I get $800 in cash ready plus a $200 withdraw slip. I hand it all to her, she counts it, and says its only $500 and continues to return $300 cash & the withdraw $200 slip. I tell her, I'm sorry but you are mistaken, it should be $1000 and show her the writing on the bag. She most likely was thinking $500 like always and failed to look at the bag. I could have been a nasty SOB and just paid the $500 like she asked, but I was brought up better than that. She was very very thankful for catching the difference. I still walked out the bank with a smile on my face. Now to see what's $1000 bag of dimes holds for me. This is the second time in several months that this has happened, last time was at another bank where I was cashing a check for $500 cash to go elsewhere for coins, and she continues to count out $600. Once again I said Sorry but you've made a mistake, she recounted again, this time correctly, and I walked out with a smile. Maybe I should call myself Honest Abe. I would not sleep well if I kept my mouth shut. Maybe the AG gods are looking over my shoulder.

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go dozer,i agree some are not to bright.i was overpaid one time did not catch it a first but went back after i found out i had a little too much money anyway i told her and she disagreed with me anyway she took out all her bills in, i think, three drawers, put all the money in front of me on the counter as she counted it. i looked around to see if someone else in the bank was calling the cops because it was a whole bunch of cash,anyway she was a little short and i gave her back her cash after all that.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Couple of years ago I had a check to cash for 6 grand that was drawn on that bank, not one I normally used. The teller lady counts out 8 grand. I said politely I think you made a mistake, you should recount that. She said I don't make mistakes when it comes to money. I said I'm only going to ask 1 more time, if you choose not to recount that pile I will grab what you counted and walk out that door. She begrudgingly grabbed the pile and recounted, peeled the extra two grand off the pile and stuck it back into her drawer and shoved the pile back to me. No thank you, no oops nothing, not even a smile. Ticked me off to think i just probably saved her job and she was like that to me. But I know I did the right thing, so oh well, life goes on.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you totally embarrassed her is all.

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all about the karma! You sir are AWSOME! :occasion14: If you would have left with $500.00 more in change than you paid for.. That poor lady would have lost her job and probably would have had to pay it back.. She probably has kids too... So ya man.. Hats off to you!! That will come back to you in abundance!

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive returned 100.00 to one that tried to give me extra as well. It isnt worth it. Job well done hope you score on the dimes.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Couple of years ago I had a check to cash for 6 grand that was drawn on that bank, not one I normally used. The teller lady counts out 8 grand. I said politely I think you made a mistake, you should recount that. She said I don't make mistakes when it comes to money. I said I'm only going to ask 1 more time, if you choose not to recount that pile I will grab what you counted and walk out that door. She begrudgingly grabbed the pile and recounted, peeled the extra two grand off the pile and stuck it back into her drawer and shoved the pile back to me. No thank you, no oops nothing, not even a smile. Ticked me off to think i just probably saved her job and she was like that to me. But I know I did the right thing, so oh well, life goes on.
i would have to say thats probably a smart thing you did.if you walked out he door with the money you would have probably been charged with theft.money is the root of all evil.i know if it was me they would probably sent me to jail for 50 years.theres too many laws and if some one has got in in for you they'll hang ya for stealing a penny.the teller would have been fired but you bet the bank would still get heir money back.the insurance company would'nt just let it slide.in my opinion you saved yourself alot of trouble and her job.i just dont see how she could let an extra 2 grand mistakenly pass through her hand.she'll probably still hear about it those cameras dont miss anything.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Finished date checking the Double Quantity bag-of-dimes, got 8-Rosie's from a 4-box equivalent bag; for 2 per box avg. Not bad I guess. One of these days I'll catch a mother load from someone's old piggy bank coffee can dump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread