Sometimes the best finds are coins you dont even know exist.......

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the best finds are coins you don't even know exist.......

I had another awesome find tonight in my 12 boxes. Here is a pic. It's a Delaware commemorative from 1936. I'm not really sure of how rare or valuable it is, but it looks awesome and seems to be in pretty good condition. I love this hobby. Otherwise, tonight has been a solid night of hunting. I have searched 8 of tonights 12 boxes and so far have 48 silvers with two walkers, five or six franklins, and four 64's. I love this hobby. Happy hunting everyone.:hello2: delaware.jpg

Upvote 0

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
According to Redbook 20,993 distribution AU-50 at $275. Very sweet find and extremely rare

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! You should take a look at the Oregon Trail commemorative as well as the Texas Alamo. Those are two of the most beautiful coins you'll find anywhere. Now get back to work and find one of those, and along with your new commemorative you'll have a nice little collection going!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap- great find on that commem and on all the various 90% ers
Congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

GoldRunner

Greenie
Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commemoratives are an excellent find, many very valuable and well worth starting a collection of on their own.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! You should take a look at the Oregon Trail commemorative as well as the Texas Alamo. Those are two of the most beautiful coins you'll find anywhere. Now get back to work and find one of those, and along with your new commemorative you'll have a nice little collection going!

Those other two look cool too. I hope I can get a decent commemorative collection going. So far for the silver ones I have this one, the washington one, and the stone mountain half. I also have probably a half dozen different clad commemoratives too.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and just to keep you guys updated on what's going on with me: For the last almost year I have been keeping my volume at a weekly 28 boxes of halves with the occassional week where I will up that volume to the mid 30's of boxes. Over the last two weeks I have been working to up my volume considerably for a new normal. Last week I ordered over 50 boxes, but only 42 of those came in. This week I have 50 boxes on order and all of those are coming in. So far here are how the boxes have produced:

Wednesday: 22 boxes produced 67 silvers (12 90% including 3 proof franklins in good condition)
Thursday: 12 boxes produced 57 silvers (13 90% including the break down above)
Friday: I should be searching 16 more boxes tonight and I will update the results later.

This weeks finds are just about on par with what I got from last week percentage-wise so the higher volume is certainly paying off.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love coin roll hunting also. You've been having awesome boxes lately, I hope the trend continues!
One of my crh goals is to eventually find an early 90% commemorative half dollar. Thanks for sharing your finds with us.
HH
Buff

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet score man. I love seeing commemorative halves being found.

Today's the day! ~Mel Fisher

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Couldn't agree more. Love getting the commemorative halves. I saw the Columbian exposition half a while back, couldnt wait to hit one. Finally nailed one a few years ago. Actually isn't worth that much but I still love it

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the future of these original Commemorative silver halves (1893 - 1950's ?) is very bright. With the exception of a few of these
the mintage is very low (tens of thousands -not millions ) and since many can still be had for $100 or less in nice condition ,
I think these are only going to go up - way up .

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dream of finding a 1918 Lincoln half.. 100,000 made. I'll probably just buy it. Great finds! Keep up the great work!

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1938 Texas centennial commemorative; 5,000 minted, ~3,000 left. You can still pick one up for a few hundred--or a hell lot more for higher grades. Good investment in my book.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to update with my totals for the week. Yesterday I picked up another 19 boxes so I searched a total of 53 boxes this week. Last night's finds weren't as good as the rest of the week. I found a total of 37 silvers last night including two more walkers, five more bens, five more 64's and another 1970's. That puts the total for the week at 161 silvers found including 37 90%. That's probably not my best silver finds in a week ever, but it's pretty close and it's definitely the highest volume searched ever. Next week I already have 58 boxes on order and may bump that up a little bit too. I just need to find a few more pickup banks for Mondays and Tuesdays to even it out a little bit. Good luck everyone.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I forgot to mention. I took the commemorative to the LCS to get their opinion about whether or not I should send it out for grading. Unfortunately, I got the grumpy worker there to look at it, not the guy I like. He said that it probably was not worth sending in for grading. He said there was no way that it would come back as MS (which I agree with even though I can dream) and that there was such a small price diference between Fine, Xfine, and AU that the grading probably wasn't worth the expense. I still may get it graded anyway just because I haven't had a coin that was this valuable before.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice, I would put that coin in an airtite holder so it doesn't get exposed to the air to tarnish it. You can buy an airtite holder for under a dollar. :)

Ronson

Jul 17, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1938 Texas centennial commemorative; 5,000 minted, ~3,000 left. You can still pick one up for a few hundred--or a hell lot more for higher grades. Good investment in my book.

I found the 1934 Texas commemorative... in my wife's jewelry box. Gift from someone no longer in the family. She said she won't miss it. Woohoo! :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread