Brand spanking new...... Some ?s

Mohawk918

Greenie
Aug 22, 2014
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. Obviously im new here. So I never really had any intrest in coins or hunting but recently saw a video on youtube. So i started searching all the coins i had at home. Found about 10 wheat pennies. Ill be honest im doing it mostly for some hobby money so i will mostly likely be selling most my coins that i find..... even though i have had fun hunting. My question is where should i start? I have read the beginners post for CRH and read it several times. I am planning on ordering $1000 of halves cause thats the smallest my bank, Arvest, will let me get. Ive gone in a couple of times and asked for all the halves they have. Found nothing yet. So yea im on the right path or should i do something else? also i read that i shouldnt take my loose coins back to the same bank, this is hard cause i only have one bank i have a account at.
Thanks for all the help yall.

Upvote 0

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You are honest about your intentions, so I'll be honest in my reply. If you are doing this to make money, you are probably wasting your time. While some money is possible, it would probably be far more profitable to get a job, even at minimum wage. People that do this usually do it for the thrill of the hunt. While members sometimes sell their finds, I can't imagine doing this just for the money.

As for returning your coins to the same bank, DON'T DO IT. The guidelines are there for a reason. If you ignore them, you will have to deal with the consequences. I assume that the one account you have is for your regular banking. Imagine getting your account closed and now you have no banking options. It's unlikely, but it does happen. Read the beginners guide and there will be advice about getting new accounts with minimal fees.

Finally, get used to not finding anything. Most boxes don't have anything. A few will have one or two keepers. Every once in a blue moon, you will hit a huge box. You never know what to expect, but I will say that if you aren't prepared for occasional 10, 20, 30 box streaks with no finds, this is the wrong hobby.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you take this advice as intended. It isn't a hobby for everyone and you need to remember that most people only post their finds. Rarely do you see a post about the 6 boxes with nothing.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ That's good advice, you can do the boxes and stack over time, but no, you probably won't make much "money".. but you can get plenty of silver...my advice is just to stop at as many banks as possible and always ask. and be friendly, even if they arnt- thats the hard one.. but like he said, you dont want to be shut down...
you never know what you may find.. i found a huge CWR score in the middle of a small skunk streak... you never know

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get another bank account to dump your rejects into.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE READ THROUGH THE BEGINNERS GUIDE UP TOP IN THE STICKIES SECTION
Then after youve read through that a couple times come back with any other questions you have

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Mohawk918

Mohawk918

Greenie
Aug 22, 2014
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your answers. I do like the hunt for it. And do plan on keeping some coins. Ill try my hand at this and see where it takes me. Im not planning on making a living on this so no problem there. Ill let yall know how it goes. Thanks again.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
As others have said - don't expect to get rich. You will spend a lot of time getting skunked and use a lot of gas. If you have a decent bankroll it will help a lot. Read the primer a few times and give it a shot. You will likely be stepping on another CRH toes so be ready to hear "someone was just in here asking about those". Maybe you will get lucky and be in virgin territory. When I started it was like that but now they are everywhere...

Maine_Jim

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't read all the posts above me, but let me tell you, if done right, you can make some money. I practically bought my car with my CRH money (for the most part!), and I didn't even CRH for a year (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/415505-thanks-ride.html). Only reason I stopped was because banks were shutting me down and closing my accounts. This was all last year, I was in high school, now I'm in college and there is no way I could continue to do this even if I had the resources. Is a regular job better in the long run.. Yes, But if you want something that is fun, that has potential to make some money too, CRH is the way to go. You'll learn the ropes pretty fast, my 3 tips are as follows:
1. Volume Volume Volume
2. Patience Patience Patience
3. Happy tellers are a must, bring the goodies every few weeks.
Good luck! You'll have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread