I found a ghost with a silver lining in a box of half dollar coins.

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching through a box of half dollar coins a couple of months ago and found my first Walking Liberty half dollar coin. Unfortunately, this coin was only the ghost of what once was a nice lady of freedom and a bold eagle.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

I am going to keep the coin because it is my first one of this type.

An off topic question: Is there any reason to keep 2003 and newer Kennedy half dollar coins? These coins are minted in relatively low quantities, but are made of non-precious metal. Any reason to keep the ones found in excellent condition?

Upvote 0

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept my first walking liberty but i mixed it in eith the only other one i had n dont know what one i found. Good find always nice to keep your first of something finds separate.

As for the nifc coins, (the newer ones) i dont keep them and many others here dont, if you want you can, and if in the future you decide you dont want to anymore you can throw them back.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin. The wear just gives it more character.

On a side note, kinda symbolic of what America has become (uh-hum- under this presidency). Almost unrecognizable from the great nation she used to be.

(I know I'll take some fire from the young, entitled whipper snappers on here for that comment, but that's okay. Bring it on!)

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on finding your first Walker. I remember finding a very slick no date Walker very similar to yours in a box a couple of years ago. As far as your question about keeping NIFC halves (which are actually 2002 - present), that's a matter of choice and personal preference. Currently they have very little if any additional value in circulated condition. You may decide to just keep the nicest condition ones you find and toss the rest back or not to keep any at all but that's your choice to make.

H$H!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooo yeah sweet walker! Worn or not, my fav coin!

And no, no reason to keep them unless you think they will be worth something some day... Apparently people do buy them on ebay, (rolls, sets etc). But I never bother enough with them. I only saved a set of 2014's to show tellers that they arent "special orders" and still minted every year.(doesnt work tho lol)

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin. The wear just gives it more character.

On a side note, kinda symbolic of what America has become (uh-hum- under this presidency). Almost unrecognizable from the great nation she used to be.

(I know I'll take some fire from the young, entitled whipper snappers on here for that comment, but that's okay. Bring it on!)

I just think it's historically ignorant. Eisenhower knew what was coming and warned of it. It pretty much went either downhill or sideways with economic and foreign policies after him. If you think that responsibility for America's problems comes from one person in the last 8 years, follow the trail of facts. LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush II all in one way or another dramatically affected America's path, often not for the better. Heck, if you are against social programs, go back to FDR, if you're against American intervention abroad, go back to Monroe.

Anyways, that's a great find. It's always exciting when I see a well worn silver rim- I know it's not a Ken, that's for sure! I'd keep it in my wallet or something as a good luck charm.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I too like well worn rims in the roll!! Always hope 4 a seated!! haha...

But yeah accord, I mean it really leads all the way back to Jeckyll Island in 1912, and also 1913 and also the great depression.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

Only the blind and or stupid do not see it baddbluff.:laughing7:sad but true.

OP
OP
DustDevilMarc

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash:

Please do not forget the Fourth Box: The box of half-dollar coins.

P.s. I vote by ballot, I serve on the jury when called, and I have plenty of ammunition; but I can never have enough half-dollar boxes to search!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I've never gotten a slick walker like that, I don't know why, but it would be nice to find just one, because it gives the coin character.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think it's historically ignorant. Eisenhower knew what was coming and warned of it. It pretty much went either downhill or sideways with economic and foreign policies after him. If you think that responsibility for America's problems comes from one person in the last 8 years, follow the trail of facts. LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush II all in one way or another dramatically affected America's path, often not for the better. Heck, if you are against social programs, go back to FDR, if you're against American intervention abroad, go back to Monroe.

Anyways, that's a great find. It's always exciting when I see a well worn silver rim- I know it's not a Ken, that's for sure! I'd keep it in my wallet or something as a good luck charm.

:coffee2: You're right about how the past presidents have also changed the way the country has gone but you didn't go far enough back about American intervention abroad. It was President Washington who first warned & avoided foreign entanglements/alliances abroad. In fact the 1st peacetime alliance that America every joined was NATO (North American Treaty Organization) in 1949. What Monroe stated in the 1820s was the Monroe doctrine which told the foreign powers (European) to keep out of the Western Hemisphere (North & South America).
HH
Gary

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching through a box of half dollar coins a couple of months ago and found my first Walking Liberty half dollar coin. Unfortunately, this coin was only the ghost of what once was a nice lady of freedom and a bold eagle.

View attachment 1042588 View attachment 1042587

I am going to keep the coin because it is my first one of this type.

An off topic question: Is there any reason to keep 2003 and newer Kennedy half dollar coins? These coins are minted in relatively low quantities, but are made of non-precious metal. Any reason to keep the ones found in excellent condition?

:icon_thumright: Congrats on the nice find. A walker is always nice no matter what the condition. As far as the NIFCs (Not Intended For Circulation); 1987 was the 1st year for clad NIFC & from 2002 on are also NIFC. What you do with them are for you to decide. I'm a collector so I keep 1 of each for my collection & throw the rest of them back into the wild for someone else to find & maybe collect. If I find 1 that is better than the 1 in my collection, I upgrade & throw the other one into the wild. If you're looking for a increase of value they most likely will not gain in value. Look at the 1987 half values & those coins are 27 years old. Hope this helps. BTY welcome to TNET & this hobby/obsession/addiction.
HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread