Extraordinary Specimens

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Do any of you set aside any of the Kennedy 90's or 40's that are in better condition than the others? Especially for 40's, do they command any sort of premium if they're in particularly good shape or is their value mostly just as junk?

Also, does anyone have any resources that they like to use for coin grading, particularly halves? I'm pretty novice when it comes to grading and any info would be great!

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you set aside any of the Kennedy 90's or 40's that are in better condition than the others? Especially for 40's, do they command any sort of premium if they're in particularly good shape or is their value mostly just as junk? Also, does anyone have any resources that they like to use for coin grading, particularly halves? I'm pretty novice when it comes to grading and any info would be great!

In order to have much of a premium, it needs to be in the MS66-67 range. You will never find a silver coin in that grade in circulation. You could go through 50 original UNC rolls and maybe not find one.

PCGS has an app called Photograde for the iPhone that is an awesome coin grading reference. It covers every coin & denomination from Poor1 to MS67 and higher. And it's free.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly do - I have about 3 pages of a dansco album with gem halves. or nicely toned halves.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, like CoinFetcher stated above, I keep the "gem" halves and any nice toned examples I find. That goes with any denomination of coin, not just halves.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I put anything aside that is in unusually nice shape, my 40's, I only set aside any proofs I find of those, if it's just a really nice 40% it goes in the junk Silver pile. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
In order to have much of a premium, it needs to be in the MS66-67 range. You will never find a silver coin in that grade in circulation. You could go through 50 original UNC rolls and maybe not find one.

PCGS has an app called Photograde for the iPhone that is an awesome coin grading reference. It covers every coin & denomination from Poor1 to MS67 and higher. And it's free.

Thanks, baddbluff, that's great info. I checked out the free app and looks like it will be a helpful resource.

Yes, like CoinFetcher stated above, I keep the "gem" halves and any nice toned examples I find. That goes with any denomination of coin, not just halves.

When you say "nicely toned", do you mean unusual toned or original mint toning? I've come across quite a few unusually toned halves and have been releasing them.

I put anything aside that is in unusually nice shape, my 40's, I only set aside any proofs I find of those, if it's just a really nice 40% it goes in the junk Silver pile. HH, Maverick.

Thanks for the info. It's funny you should mention proof 40's. I believe I found one yesterday but I'm not positive. My '65 doesn't have a mint mark but it sure looks like a proof. Did '65 proofs have mint marks?

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, baddbluff, that's great info. I checked out the free app and looks like it will be a helpful resource.

When you say "nicely toned", do you mean unusual toned or original mint toning? I've come across quite a few unusually toned halves and have been releasing them.

Thanks for the info. It's funny you should mention proof 40's. I believe I found one yesterday but I'm not positive. My '65 doesn't have a mint mark but it sure looks like a proof. Did '65 proofs have mint marks?

I dont believe they made proof sets in 1965

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Only "special mint sets" issued in those days.

Thanks enamel7, I see that the special mint sets were struck to be nicer than business strike but weren't nice enough to be proof. That could very well be what I have. I'll try to upload a pic.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pute aside anything earlier than kennedy's that are in exceptionally good shape. Even those are probably not really worth much if anything over the junk silver value. It may be different for others, but the vast majority of the halves I pull are only worth junk silver value. The one that are worth more than are due to the issue and/or rarity. I don't think any of the coins I have found are worth any more because of their grade. The process of going through counters and rollers damages coins pretty severely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread