Banks say they cant order halves

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm disappointed, I've been to four banks in town (including a very large one) and they all tell me that ordering halves isn't even an option on the 'ordering sheets' that they use when they place orders for currency. The bank I've been with for 20 years would have been happy to order if it was an option but apologizes that they don't know how. I had even found another bank with a high speed coin counter to dump my coins and opened an account with them in preparation for this. Is there something these banks are missing or do I just have to keep ranging farther for banks outside of town that can order? My 9yo coin collector was all excited about helping with this venture. At least we've managed to almost fill up his coin books with P,N,D and Qs.

Thanks for helping the newbie.

Upvote 0

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my "neck of the woods" only TD Bank can't order halves. All of the other banks can, but only some of them will.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD was the one with the coin counter that I opened an account with to dump my coins at.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me living in an area with a small population it took time to find banks that would order halves.

Just have to keep working at it.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be a pain sometimes... I had a bank tell me many times they werent allowed to order. But a teller who ordered for me from a different branch started working at this other branch, and boom they are ordering for me now... Its almost always an excuse, they just dont want to order for you.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Its almost always an excuse, they just dont want to order for you.

Yep. Exactly.
I'm a pharmacist & many pharmacists I know say this about oxycodone when the shady people show up. They tell them they can't order it, when they really can but don't want to deal with them.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD was the one with the coin counter that I opened an account with to dump my coins at.
You may already know this but incase you don't, bare in mind that most TD coin counters are set to fill the half dollar bag at $100. I found out the hard way the first time I dumped there, I had $1400 in half's, well lets just say that after 14 bag changes the tellers were less then impressed. I don't use TD counters anymore.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know that about the TD counters. Good to know. Any particular large banks that are known to have counters that can accept more bulk? BoA for example? I'm in the MA/NH border area if that helps.

I called my local bank again and asked if even though it's not 'on the form', if they'd be willing to call whoever they source their $$ from and find out if they can order anyway. I don't think it's an excuse, I was talking face to face with the branch manager that has known me as a customer for 14 years and she was really trying to help.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will find most all other bank counters (except TD) will take $1,000 to fill the half bag, and then there are some counters that don't except halves at all. You just need to find out what you have available to you in your area.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok my local bank just called me back and said they would call Brinks and find out if they can order them even though they aren't on the form. Woohoo! Fingers crossed.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
It might help a little to try some nickels and dimes also if only to break the ice with the new banks. I always ask for any coins they can spare besides halfs and large dollars. Then they usually use, "We would have to order them and that takes about a week." A that's OK and we are in business. I'm sure a 9yr old would be thrilled with some Buffalo nickels or Mercury dimes not to mention the Barbers and other 19th century coins you can find. It just always seems easier to begin with the smaller coins and then add the half questions to that instead of starting with halfs which they don't normally like to deal with. GL and HH

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some coin counters use bins which hold up to $8.5k in mixed denominations. I like these.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did indeed start with the small denominations. I went in and asked for rolls of P,N,D,Q and H. They said they had everything but H. I asked if they had any loose H in the drawers and they said no. That's when I asked if they could order them and the manager said she'd check with the woman who does the ordering (who wasn't in) and would call me back. In the meantime my 9yo is having fun filling up his coin books. Been through $100 in Q and $40 in D and haven't found anything interesting.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good news was my local bank called yesterday to tell me one of their branches had $120 in halves (meanwhile they are still looking into ordering). I went to that branch today and the manager said 'OMG! I've been trying to get rid of these forever!!! Thank you!!'. So I guess not much in the way of CRH is going on in my area. Nothing in that $120 but the kids had fun going through them.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank just called to say they will have $1000 worth of HDs for me on Tuesday. Now I need to REALLY find a new dump bank ASAP.

OP
OP
R

rawbar

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh.... after going through 2240 coins this week, didn't find a single one older than 1971. Found 16 2002+ which aren't really of much interest to me, gave them to my kid to put in his collection. Good luck everybody but this isn't a hobby for me.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh.... after going through 2240 coins this week, didn't find a single one older than 1971. Found 16 2002+ which aren't really of much interest to me, gave them to my kid to put in his collection. Good luck everybody but this isn't a hobby for me.

That's about right. Most crh'ers on here see 5-10 box skunk streaks before seeing one keeper. If you're giving up after 2 boxes and $120 of cwr then this hobby isn't for you....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions