Wonder what the average silver count would have been on a box of halves back in 89?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver price back then was about $6.50/oz. I was doing some roll hunting and found a lot of 40s. I kept them for a while then threw them back because they were worth less than a dollar and dealers didn't buy them.

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
I've been CRH for 14+ years. And before 2008, I was finding at least ten silvers per box; 40 & 90 JFKs, Bens, Walkers, and the one barber I found was an ender. Any box with less than that was a bit disappointing. So back when silver was cheaper, silver halves were very abundant. At one point, I traded $470 in face value 40% halves for a 1911S double eagle and a 1910 half eagle. Gold was cheap also.

OP
OP
K

KampusKop

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRH for 14+ years. And before 2008, I was finding at least ten silvers per box; 40 & 90 JFKs, Bens, Walkers, and the one barber I found was an ender. Any box with less than that was a bit disappointing. So back when silver was cheaper, silver halves were very abundant. At one point, I traded $470 in face value 40% halves for a 1911S double eagle and a 1910 half eagle. Gold was cheap also.

When you said 1911 Double Eagle....

I thought you were talking about a Colt pistol.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Won't be much different towards the future, as silver prices continue to tank, 40%'ers worth less than a buck and no one interested, just like after the crash of 1980.

I recall bank managers ten years ago, ordering boxes of halves almost half full of 40%, they pulled the 90% and dumped the rest. Wasn't much different for anyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions